Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rain shelter?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Default Rain shelter?

Crash's recent pictures made me think that I should probably think of simple rain shelters for my canoe camping trip next year. I will have rain gear of course but it would be nice to have a small tarp or poncho or something to put up over a small fire while I am making dinner or something. Must be light weight of course but it wouldn't need to be very big so I guess even a tarp would be light enough. Pictures of set ups would be helpful. Discuss.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Walmart sells a 5X7 nylon tarp that is pretty small and is about $10 I think.

You could always make your own. Tarps are easy, one big square/rectangle.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Look for the Sea To Summit Tarp Poncho...it comes with sewn in ends for you to tie strings to make a tarp. I bought one and its very reliable. Very light and compact. I have a 7/11 disposable pocho for a survival tarp..which I used when I teach survival.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Lol FM yep, a big square.

Thanks Tokwan.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I keep a lightweight tarp (roughly 6x9) in my bag just for the purpose of a "quickie" shelter.
    Very easy to string up (given you are in a forested area) and can be used for other duties.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I carry a military style poncho...actually I got it from a friend at his surplus store....but Sportsman Guild sells several versions......
    So poncho or shelter......
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=poncho

BTW used milsurp ponchos generally smell bad.....just saying.......which was why they were outside in a bin for a couple of bucks.....
    I bought a "second"...was about $15 bucks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Crash's recent pictures made me think that I should probably think of simple rain shelters for my canoe camping trip next year. I will have rain gear of course but it would be nice to have a small tarp or poncho or something to put up over a small fire while I am making dinner or something. Must be light weight of course but it wouldn't need to be very big so I guess even a tarp would be light enough. Pictures of set ups would be helpful. Discuss.
    We all had tarps for our hammock setups and could easily sit under them when it rained. But............being the social creatures that we are we picked up a fairly inexpensive 12 X 24 tarp at Walmart before launching. It came in handy - served as a gathering area, cooking and whatever else area.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here's a pic from a trail cam I had set up to get some "candid" shots.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The temperature reading on the cam must be psychotic.....(or is it psychic?) because that is the temp we were hoping for. It was a lot warmer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If you may be going to use it over a fire then if it was me, I would get a rather large, say about 12 X 16 cheap poly tarp. That way if you get spark holes in it, no big deal. Just patch the holes with Gorilla tape. This is what me and my hunting buddy used this Fall for our Caribou / moose hunting river boat trips. With a fire in the Middle under the tarp it was a nice size for the two of us to have our cooking gear layed out and still have room for the 2 of us to move around.

Blog Entries

I've used the Walmart $10 tarp and it's fine. It kept me dry during a thunderstorm and I have also slept under it. The only problem I found was the eyelets pulled through the tarp, but I had some grippy things and elasticated tarp bungees anyway so it didn't matter.
    It folds up small enough to fit in your pocket, and comes in a carrying pouch with some cordage.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Pr...-Blue/36547567
    Last edited by Winnie; 09-16-2014 at 08:53 AM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I've used the Walmart $10 tarp and it's fine. It kept me dry during a thunderstorm and I have also slept under it. The only problem I found was the eyelets pulled through the tarp, but I had some grippy things and elasticated tarp bungees anyway so it didn't matter.
    It folds up small enough to fit in your pocket, and comes in a carrying pouch with some cordage.

I've never actually used the tarp, so it is interesting to hear from someone who has. I have just seen it on the shelf. I like the fact that it is nylon and not the woven PE tarps. Of course, to me, 5'X7' is too small to sleep under. I like 8'X10'. I guess you could always take the gromments off and sew webbing loops on it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

Wow, y'all got a Walmart?......
    I have use the plastic squeeze together tarp clips....sorta like these....
    http://www.zoro.com/i/G4480007/?utm_...FSpp7AodoTEA9Q

Also consider these tarps "one way-ers"....they make it thru the week end for $10 bucks....good enough for me.....Just don't litter.

Blog Entries

Yep, them`s the things H. We don`t havw Walmart, but I got a couple when I visited a couple of years ago.
    It was the fact they are nylon that I got a couple. Nylon Tarps are not cheap over here. I still have both and they have worn well.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Don't forget you can use a simple rock to tie your tarp if the grommets pull out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Don't forget you can use a simple rock to tie your tarp if the grommets pull out.

So, Like what is the Best rock to use....and where do I find one?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So, Like what is the Best rock to use....and where do I find one?
    I heard that in the more urban environments that you should be able to get a hard variety from certain cafes. The cafe is called something like Hard Rock Cafe. They would probably be able to set you up with the most suitable variety if anyone could. Now if you are out in the wilderness you just might be out of luck unless you are lucky enough to come across someones pet rock that has gone feral. Of course it may turn out to be an unsuitable variety after all.

Now that I get to thinking about it I believe that I do recall that the feral pet rocks are usually quite suitable since they tend to be skinnier than the truly wild rocks. I also heard that since the feral rocks have already rolled off from the original owners once already that you may have a hard time with them staying put once placed in the tarp.

Yeah, Thanks....I gonna check and see if I have a app for that.......

Actually all kidding aside...I have used a big "contractors garbage bag", split on 3 sides, and use the rock in the corner trick....pulled over a dead fall, muzzle loader hunting....to keep my powder dry....(an me)
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-16-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added stuff

Perhaps you are better off picking up a bunch on your way out of town after all from cafes or the kids rock concerts if one happens to be in town. Those feral ones are just plain too unpredictable.
    Last edited by phreshayr; 09-16-2014 at 01:54 PM.