Thread: Sourcing old time items

Out West inThe Eden at the End of the Trail

Default Sourcing old time items

I have spent a couple hours on the internet trying to locate a company that we used to a catalog from. (Back in the dark ages -- about 1987) I cannot remember the name of the company.
    If I remember correctly the company was located in Pennsylvania. I have the memory they served the Amish? They had wagons and wagon parts, crocks, butter churns, kerosene lamps, crank food grinders. If anyone has link to them or know if they still send out catalogs please let me know! I was telling a friend about this I and I would like to find the company again.

not penn but Lehman Hardware out of kidron ohio may be the one.

Cumberland general store may be another
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

What he said..https://www.lehmans.com/
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Note to all.....
    Both Lehman's and Cumberland are really good sources....but keep in mind their prices on a lot products are about double of what they would be in a different store......But you have to look a lot harder.
    Just personnel experience.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've found Lehmans to be pretty fairly priced on a good portion of their stuff.
    Quality can be wanting on some things though. Sturdiness is no longer one of their pillars of success.

You want expensive, try Vermont Country Store. VCS has gone downhill the last several years. More of a Harriet Carter-with-muu-muus than a general store. Anyone that can sell two cans of B&M brown bread for $11 with a straight face bears some watching.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Out West inThe Eden at the End of the Trail

Thank you for the suggestions! I think the one I was remembering might have been Cumberlands.....
    This came to mind when a friend of mine was lamenting the quality of replacement wood stove dampers and I thought maybe they would have a cast ones.

My wood stove in my garage has a cast replacement from a local hardware store in the pipe out side the stove.....I'm thinking about 10 bucks, with the shaft,,, that burns. rusts and breaks.

I guess it would depend if the damper is in the pipe.....or as in higher end stoves build into the stove it self.

I can't say if had ever seen a pipe damper made for anything other that cast.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27