Thread: 12 Hour Survival Training

Default 12 Hour Survival Training

The other day a good buddy of mine asked if I would go on a small training day. We are both former military with deployments under our belt. He is very skilled and smart, but just recently realizing that if it all goes south he can't just shoot his way out. He still has to survive. He and I packed up this morning with our day packs. General items for a camping trip to say the least. Water, folding shovel, cooking set, fire starting, knife and our firearms. Snakes area big problem down here. We went on a friends dads property so it would be somewhat unfamiliar. We both are skilled at navigation, tracking, and tactical awarreness. He wants to know what if he doesn't have food or water and shelter building. I showed him pineneddle tea which he was amazed it tasted good. I taught him how to cut a section of water vine and hang over a cup and have filtered sweet water. Some fire building techniques. And we built a basic lean to shelter. I showed him how to make a bow and drill. And I told him I would be amazing surprised if he could start a good ember first try. Needles to so I wasn't surprised. But he got the idea. I also had him pull out all his gear and show him what he lacks or doesn't need. Being former Infantry he basically nailed the day pack idea. But I did tell him he should think about a 3 and 5 day packs. All in all I enjoyed teaching a friend, and also a good refresher for me. And the 8 mile hike around the property was nice.
    Last edited by xjosh40x; 09-14-2014 at 04:08 PM.

That's outstanding....good way to learn.....teaching with others.....Congrats.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I love teaching others. A year ago some local Boy Scout Leaders heard I was good at wilderness survival techniques and gave me a call. They wanted me to take them out and show them some things. We went to the Wildlife Management Area and it was the Troop Leaders and some Eagle Scouts. They already were performing basic techniques and were knowledgable at shelters and fire. But setting deadfalls and snares were new to them. And making a water still and getting water from bamboo was something they haven't seen anyone actually do. It was a good training weekend for them to teach their scouts and I'm really glad I contributed to teaching young men how great the wilderness is. I'm really thinking of starting a small part time school where I live. I'm far from an expert but I can still show anyone how to survive up to 2 weeks in the wild. And I know I can because I've actually lived it.

Sounds like a good start.

Formal schools will require a little more effort....if you are gonna charge money....maybe contact local businesses or other school in your area. and see what is needed?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good idea. Here in the south Church groups are always looking for activities for the children. I'm thinking of just starting with some day trips and progress to 3 day trips. I'm going to try to get it all legal and insured before I do extensive trips. I'm going to have to look more into it

You might also look into local SAR teams. Lot's of everyday folks there.

http://www.msara.com/