Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: alternatives to 22 rimfire

do you have a stevens visible loader?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

one thing about a few grains of unique, it seems it wouldn't foul as bad as BP would.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    do you have a stevens visible loader?
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=stevens+.22

The details are in this post.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

J.Stevens .22lr pump action Model 70 pat. 30-07. it is 22" including the chamber. I think it is pretty old maybe 1930's.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Reworking a .22 rim fire to strike a percussion cap in the center of a chamber would be near impossible for the average home craftsman.

Not really worth the effort.

Building an inline ML is not difficult and I have seen them built with only 2 moving parts. That "bubble packed" inline of Hunters only has 4-5 moving parts. But building any firearm requires planning and skill.

As for the .32 muzzleloaders, I don't want to rub it in, but building your own for 20 years does have it's advantages. This is one I reworked about 10 years ago.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Lol! An Autocad Model would make quick work of hitting center! Everyday of the week and laser cutting the new hammer would take all of 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    J.Stevens .22lr pump action Model 70 pat. 30-07. it is 22" including the chamber. I think it is pretty old maybe 1930's.
    that's what some call a visible loader. I have one like it but the pins and such are wore out to the point it doesn't function very well. I use it for a wall hanger.

Lol! An Autocad Model would make quick work of hitting center! Everyday of the week and laser cutting the new hammer would take all of 30 seconds.
    Sorry, but most of us do not have an autocad and/or laser or plasma cutter sitting out in the workshop!

As we have often said here, you can turn anything into anything you want if you are willing to spend enough money.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    that's what some call a visible loader. I have one like it but the pins and such are wore out to the point it doesn't function very well. I use it for a wall hanger.
    Mines a wall hanger too, functions perfectly except for the chamber. I can't stand seeing it sit, beautiful stock and forearm. Even has a brass plate on the butt!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Been there, done that.

Be advised that if one cuts the .22 barrel just ahead of the chamber area they can use a standard 1/4 inch tap and thread a #11 nipple directly into the back of the barrel to make a 22 inline.

The pellet also remains engaged with the rifling rather than dropping into the empty space that was once the chamber.
    Been thinking of that too, it would be fairly easy to build a 22 inline by just using a nipple for a #11 cap as a breech plug. Would also be real easy to build a 22 flintlock by tapping the breech and just screwing a section of bolt in it to plug it up and then drill a touch hole in the side of the barrel. But I like the idea of using a nipple and doing it all inline.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Sorry, but most of us do not have an autocad and/or laser or plasma cutter sitting out in the workshop!
    Speak for yourself, humon.

In seriousness though, it's not just money. A diy approach can shave an amazing amount off of the cost of many projects, and CNC equipment is a great example. The downside is of course the investment in time, which is often more profitably traded for money.
    Last edited by canid; 09-17-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Back in previous life I had access to a complete machine shop......was nice when building race cars.......

BTW I don't know if I would want to use a #11 nipple as a breach plug....

Even in-lines with breach plugs using 209 primers get a lot of blow back.......that need to be cleaned after firing.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Back in previous life I had access to a complete machine shop......was nice when building race cars.......

Even in-lines with breach plugs using 209 primers get a lot of blow back.......that need to be cleaned after firing.
    I don't think it would matter much with the small charges I would be using - maybe 5 grains max pushing a 22 caliber air rifle pellet !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I don't think it would matter much with the small charges I would be using - maybe 5 grains max pushing a 22 caliber air rifle pellet !
    Might be right........Let me know how it turns out.........LOL

Might be right........Let me know how it turns out.........LOL
    Yeah right - if I ever get off my duff and build the dang thing !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

I still gonna look for a 32 muzzle loader.......
    Y'all can mess with the cutting, threading and machining.......

Last .22lc I bought was the H&R Sportster....(Like a Handi rifle, but for rim fire).......added the .22 mag and .17 HMR barrels.....shooting the .17 quite a bit

"Back in the day" (we're talking the 1970s-80s) CVA made one of the first of the inline rifles. It was not like the inlines we have today. It was called the Blazer and it had a hammer striking a #11 nipple screwed into the back of the breech plug, right there by your nose. It was available in .45 and 50 calibers and used full charges of BP.

They sold for $49.95.

I owned several of them and was very disappointed when they were discontinued.

They had TWO moving arts, the hammer and trigger powered by a coil spring.

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+...72%3B639%3B426
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-17-2014 at 07:02 PM.

"Back in the day" (we're talking the 1970s-80s) CVA made one of the first of the inline rifles. It was not like the inlines we have today. It was called the Blazer and it had a hammer striking a #11 nipple screwed into the back of the breech plug, right there by your nose. It was available in .45 and 50 calibers and used full charges of BP.

They sold for $49.95.

I owned several of them and was very disappointed when they were discontinued.

They had TWO moving arts, the hammer and trigger powered by a coil spring.

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+...72%3B639%3B426
    If I decide to undertake this .22 inline idea. I would suppose the trigger spring would likely need to be heavier than what is used for rimfire?

If I decide to undertake this .22 inline idea. I would suppose the trigger spring would likely need to be heavier than what is used for rimfire?
    Why would the trigger spring need to be heavier ? Maybe the hammer spring, but not the trigger spring. But I'm still thinking of a 22 underhammer where the trigger spring also doubles as the hammer spring.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Under hammer would be an in-line...or at least I can visualize that
    This thread made me wonder if there are any .32 pistol caliber rifles around?.....like a straight walled rimmed case .32 S&W or .32 mag.

I would think these coupe be loaded with BP or Pyrodex lead bullet.
    Only reason this pops in to mind is the Ruger Old Army.....45 cal BP cap and ball/conical bullet....has replacement chambers available that have basically a back cover that has 6 "firing pins" to fire a .45lc cased round.

Now as these are straight walled cases, they are re-loaded with BP or Pyrodex for BP/Cowboys shoots........
    Thinking out load as to the same process for a .32 round.