Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: alternatives to 22 rimfire

Default alternatives to 22 rimfire

I don't know if there ever was a thread on alternatives to .22 rimfire but we have visited the subject many times in other threads on occasion.

it seems that the best alternatives to .22 rimfires require reloading. I have a couple options and have been thinking about using my .310 cadet as a alternative. For me it is a reloading proposition as I don't know anywhere to buy ammunition for this gun.

any thoughts?

here's a few links

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=grouse+loads

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...t=grouse+loads

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...for-the-25-ACP

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ght=.22+hornet

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ght=.22+hornet
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Dang it Randy....just about the time I think you done "shot the wad" of odd ball stuff.....you slide in with another "what the heck, whatsit", that I had to go look up.....LOL
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.310_Cadet

I gonna guess I can't go to Gander Mountain and ask," Y'all got any .310 Cadets on the shelf?"....
    And the guy says "What?"
    So I'm gonna sit back and see where this goes.

Actually a 110 gr bullet little big for a .22 alternate?
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-14-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Randy if you have dies and bullet molds for the cadet I do not know why you would not already be using it in place of .22r?

I feel that the reason for the appeal of reduced loads and substitutes for the .22r IS THE FACT THAT THEY CAN BE RELOADED!!!

Why would one wish to switch to another cartridge and still be dependent on factory rounds?

I do not like being dependent on factory ammo when it is plentiful!

And now it is twice in less than ten years that I have seen that desperate look on people's faces, on the day before the deer season opens, as they stare at the empty shelves and say, "What do you mean all you have is .270 and 7mm mag?"

If you have not stocked all types of ammo high and deep, or your primary rifle is a .22lr, one might regard SHTF as possible and present.

Additionally, the laws that rule the state wildlife management hunting areas, where I do most of my hunting, have turned me into a shotgun hunter. The WMA rules state rimfire or shotgun only. No centerfire rifles allowed, even with reduced loads.

After lusting after rimfire rifles for 60 years any infatuation I ever had for the .22 rimfire is gone, I am about ready to get out of the .22 rimfire business entirely.

Anyone interested in a 10/22 with a bunch of accessories?

I need the money to buy shotgun shells.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I still have a couple 22 lr rounds put up, keeping them for my kids and grandkids to practice with. I have other options but I wonder what the non-loader is doing or has done in years past. In my research I'm not so sure how much a 22 lr was actually used. For instance V.E. Lynch a renowned trapper of his time, early 1900s used a 38 special for a trapline gun. He wasn't a reloader as far as I know.

I have dies and a rapine mold for the cadet. I would like to try a round ball and will one of these days. I need to revisit the cadet, it was back burnered several years back.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

If I were looking for an alternative to the 22 rimfire (and I am Not!), I would look to pistol rounds, especially 38 caliber and smaller. Fairly easy to reload, assuming you can find bullets or bullet molds and powder/primers/dies. I would choose a revolver over a semi auto, or a single shot rifle. Perhaps something about 32 caliber?

What about AIR Guns?

It can be pretty addictive in its own right and MOST folks can shoot IN the house or there own yards where powder burners would NEVER be allowed...

CW
    Support our troops! We all owe a debt we cannot begin to repay, start with support of the PEOPLE in the uniforms.

I would say a good alternative would be a pellet rifle around 1000 or more FPS that will bring in small game and ammo is readily available.
    Semper Paratus

Who has the face palm button?

I have a old .36 caliber percussion rifle that would make a decent alternative to a 22 lr.

I've been thinking about a air gun. I was figuring a air pistol would come in handy for shooting in the basement during inclement weather. My basement is 60 feet long. Also a friend has a Benjamin marauder that he really likes. He lives in the burbs and does well on squirrel. TBH I like something with a bit more wallop. Didn't the army dabble with using air guns for training. Quick shot, quick kill or something along those lines.

Got a couple of air guns........117 and a .22 Benjamin...both pump up's......Good on BYB....but don't take them serious for anything over maybe 25 ft.

these ones can be taken seriously LOL

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

My alternative is a 32 cal muzzleloader and a 22 cal Benjamin 392 air rifle. With 20 grains of 3fg blackpowder, the 32 muzzleloader is about the same as 22 LR and with 40 grains it shoots about the same as a 22 magnum. The air rifle kills squirrels and rabbits just as dead as a 22LR out to 25 yards. The 32 muzzleloader has taken groundhogs out to 100 yards and squirrels and rabbits out to 50 yards.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Do a lil surfing. The Brits do ALLOT with a 12 FPE air gun. We don't have that limitation so a 20/30 FPE gun can be just as effective as a LR at a lil less range. But fifty yards is disable with a 30 FPE gun on squirrels and rabbits.

Many choices and that Benji is a good one! So are older sheridans and Crosman 140's. All did better than 600 fps with a 13/15 g pellet and that about a 20 FPE shooter!

CW
    Support our troops! We all owe a debt we cannot begin to repay, start with support of the PEOPLE in the uniforms.

Air guns are like politicians.

I have nothing against them in general but even the best of them can not justify the air they use up.

As for the British forums, there is a lot of lying and staging photos that goes on over there, since airguns are all they have. They will wound 100 bunnies to get a single kill they can photo.

If you want to talk about airguns please start an airgun thread so I can ignore it.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-15-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    My alternative is a 32 cal muzzleloader and a 22 cal Benjamin 392 air rifle. With 20 grains of 3fg blackpowder, the 32 muzzleloader is about the same as 22 LR and with 40 grains it shoots about the same as a 22 magnum. The air rifle kills squirrels and rabbits just as dead as a 22LR out to 25 yards. The 32 muzzleloader has taken groundhogs out to 100 yards and squirrels and rabbits out to 50 yards.
    You know....I looked and don't seem to have a .32 ML-er.....Hummm........
    "Honey, gonna be needing a new .32 muzzleloader....Not my fault, no .22 yet....so what an I gonna do?"

So you think anyone will bring out a .32 In-line ML?...NOW THAT would be an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    You know....I looked and don't seem to have a .32 ML-er.....Hummm........
    "Honey, gonna be needing a new .32 muzzleloader....Not my fault, no .22 yet....so what an I gonna do?"

So you think anyone will bring out a .32 In-line ML?...NOW THAT would be an idea.
    Mine is not an inline. its a Southern mountain rifle that I built back in the 80's and has a 42 inch Green Mountain barrel on it - I like traditional ! And boy is that baby fun to shoot ! I mold all my own round balls, and patching is bought at the piece goods store. I also have a 40 and 45 that I built back about the same time, but the 32 is my favorite ! PS: the 32 round balls makes good buckshot for loading shotgun shells too !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Mine is not an inline. its a Southern mountain rifle that I built back in the 80's and has a 42 inch Green Mountain barrel on it - I like traditional ! And boy is that baby fun to shoot ! I mold all my own round balls, and patching is bought at the piece goods store. I also have a 40 and 45 that I built back about the same time, but the 32 is my favorite ! PS: the 32 round balls makes good buckshot for loading shotgun shells too !
    Actually have seen some kits lately....mostly Traditions...I think they bought out CVA.

Built........ 2-.45 cal rifles, CVA Kentucky long rifle, and a CVA .50 cal Hawken......FIL got the Kentucky, BIL got the .50 Hawken....Both have passed.
    Also built a .45 CVA Kentucky piston, a CVA Philadelphia Derringer, Lyman's .54 cal Plains pistol, .54 cal Lyman's rifle, and a colt Navy .36 revolver.
    Never did build a .32 or .36 rifle.......so I guess I NEED one....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Actually have seen some kits lately....mostly Traditions...I think they bought out CVA.

Built........ 2-.45 cal rifles, CVA Kentucky long rifle, and a CVA .50 cal Hawken......FIL got the Kentucky, BIL got the .50 Hawken....Both have passed.
    Also built a .45 CVA Kentucky piston, a CVA Philadelphia Derringer, Lyman's .54 cal Plains pistol, .54 cal Lyman's rifle, and a colt Navy .36 revolver.
    Never did build a .32 or .36 rifle.......so I guess I NEED one....LOL
    The CVA Kentucky is the first rifle I ever built and for the money it was very accurate - I gave it to a good friend when I built my scratch 45 Southern Mountain rifle. I've built 2 of the CVA Kentucky pistols and a CVA Colt Navy in 45 cal. But my ML rifles now all have the Siler Locks that can be swapped back and for the between flintlock or percussion just by changing the lock, drum and nipple, and touch hole liners. Been wanting to build a 20 gauge flintlock North West trade gun but haven't figured out how to fit it in my budget. At one time I had an antique Parker double 13 gauge muzzleloader and sold it because I was able to quadruple my money on it. That was a fun gun to rabbit hunt with - swing, fire, duck around the smoke cloud to see the bunny roll !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti

LOL....The old run up thru the smoke trick.....I hear ya.

To all new kit builders....Do not start with a Navy Colt revolver kit....LOL...What a PITA

You guys are gonna cost me some money.........

I was just thinking out loud on the .32 or .36 in-line....but make sense.

a man needs more than one gun