Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug out bag

You might want a signaling device, i.e. mirror or whistle or something, and you probably want some rope or cord. (It comes in handy for a lot of things) Oh, and phone numbers are handy, as long as you have a phone. (Unless you meant like for a public phone where you pay a quarter... here you need quarters... ) Lastly, you might want some type of radio so you know what's going on around you... probably a solar powered or hand crank is good...
    Last edited by Strider; 08-12-2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: I meant might not night 2nd word
    Strider
    I take paths untrodden...

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Quote Originally Posted by volwest View Post
    Here is my BOB...mind you we live in LA.

870 Remington
    100 rounds
    Survival kit
    camel back
    hat and gloves
    flash light
    USMC poncho
    72 hours of food
    Rat-7
    monocular
    extra pair of socks
    bandana
    map of city
    map of state
    first aid kit
    Water filter
    2 way radio

Here is my wife's.

10/22 scoped -Mark III
    500 rounds
    Survival kit
    camel back
    hat and gloves
    flash light
    USMC poncho
    72 hours of food
    k-bar
    binoculars
    extra pair of socks
    bandana
    map of city
    map of state
    2 way radio
    LAPD must LOVE you guys!
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Hey volwest,

have you done any urban survival planning for any of the emergency personell (police etc.) in your area or do you just do that for companies and individuals?
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

strider...most of those things you mention are part of my survival kit.

Sorry, volwest... didn't read your post... I meant to answer to tony uk...
    Strider
    I take paths untrodden...

I never want to know any police from around here, we would be better suited useing the TA as the policeing force since are crime rate is still getting higher

Thanks For All The Ideas Guys, Much Love
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Default man that would be nice

Why is the crime rate getting higher ?

Oh and by the way, with a hunting license, if it is the same as in other european countries where you are at, you should be able to buy a shotgun or a hunting rifle yes ?
    Here I had to pass a test that allows me to purchase and own firearms, then pass another test that indicates I won't shoot myself accidentally etc, then buy a hunting license. All proceeds to the govt of course.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

VOLWEST asks what the threat in the UK is well since the 1970s we were bombed by the IRA now we face another kind of radical theat,also severe climate change,civil unrest we could end up with are own Kosavo.

I keep a turkey vest with knife, bic lighter magnesium fire starter, sheet of plastic, compass, sierra cup a two way radio and map of state. I also have a 4WD loaded down with survival gear.

Tony when preparing for a problem I don't ask myself what is legal but what is important and nessary. I think that a bug out bag is a good idea regardless of the geographic or political area and would always include some thing for personnel protection if only a stout stick(very handy actually)the contents of the bag would depend on my plan of where I am going and what will be there. Some basic survival stuf is always a good start .
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

HOP,Good advise.

Very good advice HOP, good example was New Orleans after Katrina when Bush was trying to disarm the general public. In this case the lawful thing to do would have been to answer the door and give up your right to bear arms, but that wouldnt have been to smart now would it. Being the majority of the looters on the street were carrying AK-47s, like the ones the 82nd got into that fire fight with on the bridge......If breaking the law means living to see another day, count me in!

Quote Originally Posted by chopp29 View Post
    Very good advice HOP, good example was New Orleans after Katrina when Bush was trying to disarm the general public.
    That would have been Mayor Ray Nagin using the local police force, not the feds.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Surviving a natural disaster can only be blamed on chance or luck. Surviving the aftermath of a disaster will take planing. I believe a BOB is for the aftermath times.

TDW's, TGF's and my BOB's all have. A water filter straw; Several ways to start a fire; A pot to boil water; Several canteens; Rain poncho; Wool blanket; At least 2 knives; Survival saw; Military issue CS-CN spray can; Several large plastic bags; 100 ft of 550 cord; Duct tape; Supper glue; Pf 30 sun screen; insect repellent; A bar of soap; AA LED Flash lights(2ea); AA Solar batter charger and spare batteries; AA radio;

My BOB has a meth stove and a 32 Oz fuel bottle. I also carry a cold steel shovel.

We have Military LBE's with but packs. We all use army canteens with the case, cup and heaters. 10 of the trox fire bars for the outfit are in the BOB's along with water purification pills.

We each have meds to take daily. There is a 4 week supply of these meds in the BOB's and our usual first aid kit. I have added 2 military triangle bandages to use instead of handkerchiefs. These are bigger and IMO better suited for multi use survival snot rags.

Don

I will add here: We each have fire arms in 12 gage and 22 mag.
    Last edited by dilligaf2u2; 02-20-2008 at 12:55 AM.
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Don - I agree with what you've stated. I would only add that there are many calamities that a BOB would be used for prior to or during an event.

Meth lab evacuation
    Chemical spill evacuation
    Fires (forest or wild lands)
    Hurricane (you know about those, right?)
    Dam compromise or imminent flood warning

Just to name a few. Grab the BOB and scoot thus avoiding the problem all together.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It's been said many times on the forum and elsewhere that often, survival is a matter of luck.

I have always found that the more I prepare and the harder I work, the luckier I get.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

urban survival = 'guns, lots of guns' i dont like urban survival , its too violent.

Wink Lay low.

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    urban survival = 'guns, lots of guns' i dont like urban survival , its too violent.
    If you are hard to find the violence is reduced. Ragnar Benson has a good book for urban survival. Covers all kinds of topics.

No harder than mother nature. Freezing to death or being eaten is pretty harsh in my book. It's just a different kind of violence.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

well a cougar wont shoot you from cover 100 yards away cause its scared. a human will. ill stick with the bush where i can see death coming thank ya very much

And a person won't wrap there teeth around your neck and choke you to death. A cougar will.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. Just that there are dangers inherent in each.