Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Machete, or any other blade?

Quote Originally Posted by I am Groot View Post
    Attachment 10242

I see there are flaws in the question, although I had not thought the question itself (wording) would be so heavily scrutinized.

I personally would take a machete, which to me is essentially a big knife with some flex...maybe a 16 inch. I am sure it coud be used to build a small shelter, possibly a defensive weapon, and if I choked up on the blade, used to gut/butcher an animal. Other uses might be skinning bark off tree limbs, splitting small firewood, not to mention clear brush, etc. No not the best case scenario, but pushed to it's limits I think is the most effective survival blade tool.

Thanks for the input!
    Why did I think that you would favor a machete?.....Way the question was worded?....Your location? ...and Terrain?

Anyway, yeah we get the idea of the "Only one of"....scenarios....but when you think about it does make the decision difficult....given the variables.....but hey, we try to play fair.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Not me. I play a guitar, I play the devils advocate, I play hard after I work hard and I play the hand I'm dealt. I'll have to try this fair some time.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I thought the question would provoke a response, one way or another. I guess the question was "loaded" and there are always variables (terrane, changes in weather) and the object of this forum is to be prepared and not settle for one tool or another. Watching some of these new series, Naked and Afraid etc, where a choice is made between fire starter, machete, pot container etc, but not all three, is a similar predicament. Will we find ourself in that situation, probably not, just entertaining the thought, as unrealistic as it is...

Peace!

Last edited by I am Groot; 09-13-2014 at 10:23 PM.
    AKA Nick Chill

I am sure that most would try and make any edged tool work if that was all we had.

But, consider this. I used 3 different knives just to make my breakfast this morning. A large chef's knife for slicing bacon and tomato. A paring knife for cutting the meat of the tomato out of the center. And a serrated knife to cut an English muffin in half. I could have performed all of those tasks with one knife. But, I was more comfortable with using three different knives that I had near by.

I'll bet there isn't a single person who only has one type of knife in their kitchen. Yet, what you do in your kitchen has no where near the diversity of tasks you'll perform with edged tools in the woods.

If you asked me to get by with one knife out of the ones I use the most in the kitchen. It wouldn't even be one of the ones I use the most. It would probably be my boning knife. Just because I "think" I could make it work okay in place of the others. I have never tried though.

A scalpel should not be used in place of and axe and vise versa.

Quote Originally Posted by I am Groot View Post
    Attachment 10242
    I personally would take a machete, which to me is essentially a big knife with some flex...maybe a 16 inch. I am sure it coud be used to build a small shelter, possibly a defensive weapon, and if I choked up on the blade, used to gut/butcher an animal. Other uses might be skinning bark off tree limbs, splitting small firewood, not to mention clear brush, etc. No not the best case scenario, but pushed to it's limits I think is the most effective survival blade tool.

Thanks for the input!
    Now those optional uses are interesting...and begs to the question....Have you ever tried these other uses of a machete?

I chose an ax for the mixed forest/ marsh/plains in Wisconsin...machete not really useful....although I do have one in the truck(s).
    Used for brush clearing....but does leave "sign" when passing thru hacking away a stuff.....not what I care to do.
    The ax hasn't been used to clean and dress animals, nor do I eat with it......might be a "lets see what happens," activity.

An interesting thread may be....Hey, I did only have a machete, for all my activities and this is what happened.

Was kind of interesting that the TV program, "Mountain Men" most all the cutting work done by the trappers, all seemed to favor the small cruiser ax for many of the activities.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    An interesting thread may be....Hey, I did only have a machete, for all my activities and this is what happened.
    Now that could be fun.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I would take any fixed blade knife of at least 4 inches long. Something like a mora, old hickory or some such. For large firewood other than squaw wood a saw is what I would prefer. Large dia firewood can be laid up fast with a saw as compared to axe.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Back to the question, this is what I would grab..a Duku Chandung Parang. I made the sheath with Kydex.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Back to the question, this is what I would grab..a Duku Chandung Parang. I made the sheath with Kydex.
    Man that is nice!

The Golok (on the top in my above picture) is one of my personal fav's. It has no flex but has many uses in the field.
    AKA Nick Chill

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Was kind of interesting that the TV program, "Mountain Men" most all the cutting work done by the trappers, all seemed to favor the small cruiser ax for many of the activities.

Just a thought.
    Yes, I did notice that...The axe is part of our history and for a reason. They are essential to those guys. I have several axes and respect those men for what they do. That is not an easy life and a lot of them die living that lifestyle.
    AKA Nick Chill

Actually the bottom blade in your pic looks like the Military version machete
    ....have a couple of those, and have used them for clearing brush.....and have a scar on my ankle for my first hatchet (birthday present at age 10 or so).....from clearing brush with that, ....glancing blow thru high top leather boots.

I do find the machete have "glancing blow" problems....or maybe it's just me?.....So don't use them much....but then again, not in any jungle.

Any stout fixed blade made of quality metal.

Where I live there's no point to a machete.

Ok, I'll play.

My modified Tramontina cane knife.
    I've removed the original handle and installed a shortened boy's axe handle, ground the hook down to a triangular shape and sharpened only one side of the hook.
    I've used this tool for a long time in the area I live in, and am quite comfortable using it for many tasks.

Having said that...I'm in agreement with many others, I usually have a multi-tool and a folding knife on my person most of the time.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Bow saw or crosscut saw

If I had a choice, I would just grab them all. It is not like there is some guy with a gun standing there saying "sorry, you can only take one!"

I have a machete and a small axe in the back of the Tahoe. I have used the machete once, but that was just to see how it worked at hacking up sagebrush, something I never need to do. The axe gets used all the time though.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Where I live, either the Golok or the Duku Chandung (Ray Myers favorite tool), will make it. I have two Brazilian Machetes and a few other parangs but I still prefer the Duku Chandung. A big banana tree, just 2 slashes. A bamboo, 2 or 3 slashes. 3 " diameter trres for shelter..3 or 4 slashes...You need a tool that is powerful enough to help you save energy. The duku chandung also can be used to do other bush craft chores...its an all purpose tool..I have 2 Braziian Machetes too but I only used them for clearing my path...not that good for cutting or bush crafting...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

My 14" Tram is in the trunk of my vehicle along with a CS Bushman and an old Bridgeport BSA hatchet. I'd grab my box of knives instead...

DomC

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."