Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are alice packs worth it?

Orderd a frame, and kidney belt tonight, should be here saturday. Ill be using it for a 3 day trip next week and will see how it goes

Sent from my iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Traditionalist View Post
    Orderd a frame, and kidney belt tonight, should be here saturday. Ill be using it for a 3 day trip next week and will see how it goes

Sent from my iPad
    Fantastic! If you are able, please post a pic or two. I'd love to see what you came up with. We might be able to give more or better advice or suggestions based on the pics. Congrats on the first bag!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Got the frame friday afternoon and the seller threw in lc2 straps which were night and day to my lc1 straps. Went on a 3 mile hike with it loaded out to 34.32 pounds and it felt good. It fits my body perfect. My camp trip was changed to a family trip. Ill still post pictures. Instead of solo, I'm with my parents and 2 siblings.

Sent from my iPad

Have fun. Looking forward to the pictures.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Heres where im going, this was last month. Its a 3 mile hike off north south lake in upstate ny. Ill be camping at the main campground instead of off to the side of this ledge where i originally was going to go.

Sent from my iPad

for years in hawaii i used 2,packs 1,was a softpack noframe 2,long outer pouches on sides 1.on back zip open main pouch,
    that was one nice bag.2,was a alice pack and ducegear i used all of the time when i went hiking and outer island.
    today i have a ilbe in marpat and a filbe in coyote brown and the shoulder straps and waist belts are a dream,
    funny thing is as we get older we hump less. funny back in the day i was like a billygoat running up an down valleys
    and mountains. no you really pace yourself carry half or less of what you once could.i woul,nt try any more to sleep in trees
    like i once did i used to carry a couple of issue carrbiners to secure my pack in the tree while i slept in a sm,od,hammock.
    those were the days i,ll tell ya.

Well I got my bag packed and I'll be leaving tommorow in the morning. I'll take a few pictures of the packed bag. There's no cell service at the campsite so I'll have to wait until I go into town to upload pictures.

Sent from up in an oak tree

Have fun and stay safe. Looking forward to your trip report and pictures.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There is no way on earth that I will be able to get those Alice Packs. Have heard of them for a long long time.
    I was wondering if someone could go out an purchase one for me (without the US Army logo or stamp or insigna...and ship the item to me.
    I will pay upfront of course provided you can adsive the total cost inclusive shipping costs.
    The only thing is to state the item as a free gift (so I escape the taxes).
    An Alice Pack with Frames of course...

ANy takers..I do not mind paying extra for your troubles.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    There is no way on earth that I will be able to get those Alice Packs. Have heard of them for a long long time.
    I was wondering if someone could go out an purchase one for me (without the US Army logo or stamp or insigna...and ship the item to me.
    I will pay upfront of course provided you can adsive the total cost inclusive shipping costs.
    The only thing is to state the item as a free gift (so I escape the taxes).
    An Alice Pack with Frames of course...

ANy takers..I do not mind paying extra for your troubles.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...pack?a=1744132

Here you go. Click the link under the price that says "Canada/International Shopping Info" and they explain how you can get it outside the US. No US/Military logos on this pack, either.

BTW, I am not affiliated with SG, just a happy, repetitive, customer of theirs......

Thanks dude! Will buy you lunch when you are in Malaysia......

But that would mean I would have to pay the taxes....
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Thanks dude! Will buy you lunch when you are in Malaysia......

But that would mean I would have to pay the taxes....
    How much are the taxes on a $35 dollar item? Perhaps you should order this too!

http://www.ohmybeauty.com/vaseline-p...FcRAMgodHmAAvw

Well I am a non member..so that would be about USd40 bucks converted to Malaysia Ringgit would be about 120.00 that would make the items plus tax around RM150.00 plus shipping cost around USD is about another 100...making a total of 250.00
    Vaseline..I have too many of them as I make my own cotton tinder unless you are asking me to do something with it on the customs folks...hahahahaha

Okay, so 1 USD is about 3 Ringgit.....

The cost of the item can't be changed, nor can the shipping. (It's gotta get there some how!) You are looking at saving a $10 on the tax, but then you were going to give a member a little something for their troubles anyway. So in the end....... what are you saving?

Sorry, been up all night so I might not be connecting the dots right. Now, where did I sit my coffee at? hmmmmmm

Gosh..thank you for being sleepless over my 10 bucks...muahahahahahahahaha..

Gosh..thank you for being sleepless over my 10 bucks...muahahahahahahahaha..
    Nah.... working nights...... yuck!

hhahahaha..thanks for the link...will be ordering soon.

hhahahaha..thanks for the link...will be ordering soon.
    You're welcome. All my ALICE are the real military ones and never messed with aftermarket ones (excluding my small ALICE, but made by a GI contractor). Post a pic and review when you get it. I'd be interested in your opinion of it.

Just got back and pictures will be up tonight or tommorow. I did about 28-30 miles over the 4 1/2 days i was gone. The pack did great and i found it very fitting to my body. After 4 miles or so i started to get sore on my shoulders so i think ill be ordering the molle ii straps or adding some padding

Sent from my iPad

Keep in mind that should straps on a pack, while carrying some of the load, are mostly there to keep the pack from falling. The bulk of your pack weight should be carried on your hips, so make sure your waist belt/pad are adjusted correctly.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel