Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Are alice packs worth it?

Well, found a few more pictures 2 months later... well here they areGuests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

ALICE Packs are always worth the cost. They are cheaper then the MOLLE, because they're being phased out of military service and have flooded the market. It's easy to find them used too, and can be more commonly found used then the MOLLE. I've found them at nearly every army surplus store and website I've ever visited.

They are also being imported new from overseas. There are a lot of wholesalers to army surplus stores that offer them. I'm even starting to see some of the Molle versions in the catalogs. Mostly the 3 day assault packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    He's 16. He's not going to go out and purchase a Kifuru (neither am I by the way). However, for the price, it's hard to beat an Alice especially if you upgrade the straps. Even with the OEM straps it's not bad as long as you don't load it down or decide to walk 50 miles. But it is a good starter pack for a young man trying to get a pack on the cheap.
    I agree. I have a medium ALICE with the MOLLE hip belt and the regular straps, and I think that it's comfortable enough, despite the fact the it was only $25 shipped! I haven't tried out my medium ALICE with the straps only yet, but I'm going out for an overnight on Friday...

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I agree. I have a medium ALICE with the MOLLE hip belt and the regular straps, and I think that it's comfortable enough, despite the fact the it was only $25 shipped! I haven't tried out my medium ALICE with the straps only yet, but I'm going out for an overnight on Friday...
    I've had it for a while now so this threads pretty old, make sure you don't over pack it. It's very easy to do. Take some pictures and post it over in the main discussion.

Question What do you think about this?

I'm putting together a short entry about ALICE packs on a web page. I've never used one or spoken to anyone that's used one, so please tell me what's right/wrong and if I should include anything else. Here's what I've written so far:

The All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment (ALICE) system, was adopted as United States Army Standard A on 17 January 1973. It has been superseded by newer systems (MOLLE, ILBE, FILBE) since then, but is still in some limited use. The system has many attachment points for gear. It’s made up of components to carry two types of load: the Fighting Load and the Existence Load. The loads are held in place by the Individual Equipment Belt and Suspenders (which attach to the belt to distribute some of the load to the shoulders).

[I'll be inserting a picture from Wikipedia here]

The Fighting Load is the minimum equipment needed by a combat soldier who has to be able to move quickly and with agility.

The Existence Load components carry all the equipment, food, and other essentials to maintain a soldier in the field until resupply is possible. It consists of:
    • Pack frame
    • Straps for the lower back, waist, shoulders
    • Cargo support shelf
    • Cargo tie down straps
    • Pack (medium or large)
    • Camouflage cover

White, olive green, and camouflage pattern covers are available for different field conditions.

Military surplus and commercial copies are often used by civilian backpackers. Although robust, the ALICE packs aren’t comfortable for many people, particularly those with larger builds. Shoulder straps and hip belts may be replaced by those from newer systems to overcome fitting and/or comfort problems. The main benefit is that they are more affordable than purpose-built hiking packs. They're also cheaper than MOLLE packs because they're being phased out of military service, and are being imported from overseas.

OK. Fire away! But not with a gun.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~ Henry David Thoreau

www.dynanim.zone
    Self-improvement for Superheroes

Dynanim Village
    A community for dynanims on Google+

Dynanim Face
    A community for dynanims on Facebook

Dynanim Tweet
    Dynanim Twitter page

Wow Traditionalist! I wish I had that many bows! I wish I had one!

Like the photos BTW, especially the T-Rox.

Tokwan, being in Malaysia would pose fairly different conditions to those in Western countries, not just wilderness-wise, but also politically. What are your biggest challenges when going camping or hiking? I don't imagine many locals would do that.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~ Henry David Thoreau

www.dynanim.zone

Dynanim Village

Dynanim Face

Dynanim Tweet
    Dynanim Twitter page

I'm not sure what you mean by "purpose built packs". If you are referring to commercial backpacks then that sentence is wrong. They are generally less comfortable. Sometimes a LOT less comfortable. A good quality backpack that is adjustable can fit you like a glove. The Alice never will. The thing that makes Alice so appealing is cost. They cost next to nothing, can be modified to be more comfortable and are almost bomb proof, well, not literally but they are pretty tough. I like my Alice packs a lot but for serious backpacking I'll use my Vaude or my Mountain Smith every time.

For serious outdoorsmanship, I don't use the ALICE or the MOLLE. If I'm out the woods for an extended stay, I pack a High Sierra Appalachian Frame Pack.

I use my ALICE when I go hunting for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "purpose built packs". If you are referring to commercial backpacks then that sentence is wrong. They are generally less comfortable. Sometimes a LOT less comfortable. A good quality backpack that is adjustable can fit you like a glove. The Alice never will. The thing that makes Alice so appealing is cost. They cost next to nothing, can be modified to be more comfortable and are almost bomb proof, well, not literally but they are pretty tough. I like my Alice packs a lot but for serious backpacking I'll use my Vaude or my Mountain Smith every time.
    Rick, I think you might have misread my sentence. I do mean "commercial backpacks" and I agree with you that Alice packs are cheaper than them and not as comfortable. Internal frames and all sorts of straps and framesheets can make commercial backpacks fit like a glove. Maybe I've got to reword it to make it clearer. Thanks for your thoughts. Is it okay if I add your observations about them being tough?

AW, what you said pretty much reinforces what Rick and I think. Cheers.

www.dynanim.zone

Dynanim Village

Dynanim Face

Dynanim Tweet
    Dynanim Twitter page

I guess I did misread it. Probably hadn't had enough coffee. Sorry about that. Sure, if you want to use it, feel free.

Thanks Rick! You're a gentleman and a scholar.

www.dynanim.zone

Dynanim Village

Dynanim Face

Dynanim Tweet
    Dynanim Twitter page

Thank you. You do realize there are those that would disagree with both those points? Of course, I generally try to ban them but occasionally one or two slip through.

Great! My disguise is working then!

www.dynanim.zone

Dynanim Village

Dynanim Face

Dynanim Tweet
    Dynanim Twitter page

I am one of those two that slipped through.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Ha ha...hey, wait a minute.....

I highly recommend eberlestock back packs. They are a bit pricey but are built for and used by the military and are very well put together. I have two the halftrak and the skycrane. The skycrane is my favorite.

I went out and bought an ALICE pack when I started getting into all of this stuff. It was different from the one I had in the service. When I went on large excursions with other people, I realized that their high speed civilian bags were a lot lighter and more comfortable.

I still have mine and I'm embarrassed to say this out of nostalgic value, but I wish I got a civilian one.

Large bipedal Primate Billofthenorth's Avatar

I have 2 mediums and a large and I like them.

The large will fit a 5 gallon water jug inside for training purposes and obviously has more room and pockets. I use it for winter camping and the mediums for day hikes or loaners. I've had a couple of civvie backpacks but at least for me, I found the ALICE to work well and be more durable and easier to repair. I haven't tried the MOLLE packs yet.

In the field I prefer muted earth tone colors (not camo though) for all my clothing and gear. Most of that will go well in the field or in the city / around town. I don't wear a pack except in the woods and the OD green fits in there well, I don't stand out like the folks wearing bright blue or red or yellow packs and clothing.
    Last edited by Billofthenorth; 03-05-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: misspelled conno....conu...kane...never mind