Thread: How to Attach Kuksa to Belt or Pack with Paracord & Toggle System

Default How to Attach Kuksa to Belt or Pack with Paracord & Toggle System

A short while ago, I celebrated the near completion of my first real carving project with a drink from my own birch Kuksa. Kuksa's were "green" hundreds (thousands?) of years before the anti plastic bottle movement! When I set about to make one for myself, I envisioned carrying the cup from campfire to campfire imbibing my favorite grog. After completing the project, and applying several coatings of walnut oil, I decided to attach a paracord lanyard temporarily - until I could use a proper drill press to ensure that I drilled a straight hole for a lanyard. I made the temporary lanyard forming a necklace size bight then tying a diamond knot, doubled with a loop using the two working ends. I then worked the smaller loop so that it would be snug around the handle. The knot definitely gets in the way a bit so I'll definitely plan on drilling that hole eventually. I wore this around the neck or held the lanyard in my hands when I had my drinking hat on. Traditionally, a Kuksa was warn on the belt of its owner, or in bushcraft circles it is often attached to the pack. Either way seemed to me more comfortable than wearing a 14oz capacity beer Kuksa around my neck!

I devised a simple adjustable toggle attachment system, utilizing a wooden toggle about a quarter inch thick and 1.5" long. I whittled it from a stick and cored a hole with my knife. I slipped the end of the necklace loop through the hole in the toggle. To prevent the toggle from slipping off, I installed a paracord bead on the loop (over single strand). Next, to lock the toggle in place for various attachments, I installed another paracord bead, this time on both strands. This bead was tied very tightly, with solid resistance to sliding.

With these simple features, the Kuksa can be attached to just about anything. Watch this simple video to see all the knots you'd need to tie your own paracord Kuksa lanyard! Your wife may be embarrassed to be seen with you, but thats ok because you'll meet lots of new people who want to know why you have a cup hanging from your waist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Kuksa???

Never heard of such a thing!!

In the English speaking world those were known as "noggins", and everyone had one.

From whence came the term, "don't fall and break your noggin".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Great idea and video. I love it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Come to think of it crash, this simple setup could secure anything to a belt; and otherwise act as a lanyard. Knife maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by paracordist View Post
    Come to think of it crash, this simple setup could secure anything to a belt; and otherwise act as a lanyard. Knife maybe?

That's what I was thinking. Machete, axe, pot, etc.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You did something of this sort to secure a ferro rod on a knife sheath didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by paracordist View Post
    You did something of this sort to secure a ferro rod on a knife sheath didn't you?

Kind of - sort of. I put a lanyard on a knife and used your vids to tie a bead and stopper knot on it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel