Thread: Where do you like to hunt?

Default Where do you like to hunt?

Although, I have friends who are successful hunters in FL, I have never had much luck (except for hog). I hunted Pagosa Springs Colordo some years back and bagged a 9 point mule deer. Some of the best venison I ever had (and also scored a trophy for my wall). My wife hates it...but there he is in the living room

I also hunted black powder in Tenn. a few years back and also got a nice deer. Central FL is nice in the cooler weather.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O60srfYA9_8

Where do you like to hunt?
    AKA Nick Chill

Living in Wisconsin all my life...has allowed the time a research to find land/water to hunt and fish.

I do some hunting on public land, and private land that is open for hunting through forest management programs.
    Most states should have a similar program?
    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/

Also hunt on private lands that I have found, asked permission over the years.....which is kinda chancy as land changes hands, building go up.....all sorts of reasons....needs to be constantly searched out, permissions sought, and scouting done.

Do have a small place on a river that allows me to hunt and fish on my own property.....which in recent years has been my preference.

Spent a lot of years hunting many states for different things, Illinois Colorado, Wyoming, Missouri, Louisiana as well as Wisconsin.
    All states require permits and licenses, and "out of state, permits" are rather expensive....and most states require a Hunter Safety Permit from your home state....
    A trip to Colorado with friends included a 15 years old that needed to Hunter Safety Class....so we, as hunting partners, attended with him.....That was a good and wise move....has been helpful over the years.

All these trips require planning, sometimes a year in advance, so as to get in on license draws and such.
    Also a lot of research is necessary to find a place to hunt, or rent/lease a place to hunt.

Most starts have information and list of contacts for different game and areas....that need to be found and researched.
    Most of my "hunting" is the finding and securing permission for places to go......and is kinda fun in it self.

Hope that helps.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, the hunters course was a must for me also (when I went to Colorado). You are also correct, the out of state license can be expensive. You definitely need to plan. Every WMA in FL has different rules, during different seasons, so you need to read up on the area you are headed to.

I know people who prefer to hunt alone. I like having my hunting partner (one you can trust). It's more enjoyable to me.

image.jpg
    AKA Nick Chill

I hunt in the woods...sometimes fields
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Out West. Nothing like the Rocky Mountains, the Sierra Nevada, and the Cascades.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

image.jpgIn the swamps and river floodzones of Mississippi. Great white-tail deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, hog, alligator. It's a hunters dream. Very secluded. And the cat fishing is great. If anyone is an outdoorsman give Mississippi a try. You'll even get hooked on the food.

I generally hunt for white tails in northern Louisiana.....n/w corner near Shreveport...and a few trips to deer camp south of Monroe.
    South land has some thick woods......

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I prefer to hunt areas of mixed forest and agriculture, having grown up in western Pennsylvania, and having lived in southern Michigan and hunted there. Now, even though I live in the UP of Michigan, I still hunt the same type farm/forest landscape. I am more comfortable in that environment than in deep forest. I also like swamp areas, as they attract big bucks, once the shooting starts. Only problem with swamp hunting at my age is the difficulty getting around or getting the deer or bear out without help. Most of the land that I hunt is private land that I have permission to hunt. I do not think there is any question in my mind that there is more game in the farm/forest environment, with all those crops.

I hunt in Oil Palm Estates, Rubber Plantations and the Equatorial Rain Forest. I only do bow hunting. My preys are limited to Jungle Fowls, Porcupine and small game such as Mouse deers..Couldn't bring my self to shoot the bigger animals...even though my poundage is 55lbs and my draw length is 30"...it would bring a big deer or a large boar down...just didn't have the heart....hahahahaha....
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

image.jpg

Great replies! I have bow hunted but never able to make a shot (that I knew was going to make a clean kill).. definitely 55Lbs with the right shot placement and broad-head will do the job.

Yeah Florida is so wet the last couple of years, you need to be in really good shape to haul stuff around. Well I guess thats any situation. When I was in Tenn. I partnered up with one of the local guys, this guy was like a billy-goat. By the forth day my legs finally woke up LOL!!

image.jpg
    Last edited by I am Groot; 09-12-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    AKA Nick Chill

Doves and Turkey in Florida. Deer in Alabama.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Walmart. Isn't that where all food originates?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    Walmart. Isn't that where all food originates?
    Bhohahahah....Yeah, That's the ticket.....and Micky D's........Stalking the Wild McRib.......

Quote Originally Posted by I am Groot View Post
    image.jpg

Great replies! I have bow hunted but never able to make a shot (that I knew was going to make a clean kill).. definitely 55Lbs with the right shot placement and broad-head will do the job.

Yeah Florida is so wet the last couple of years, you need to be in really good shape to haul stuff around. Well I guess thats any situation. When I was in Tenn. I partnered up with one of the local guys, this guy was like a billy-goat. By the forth day my legs finally woke up LOL!!

image.jpg
    For mouse deers, i usually aim behind the fornt legs..near the armpit...definite kill! No doubt about that. Whn I practice, I usually aim an empty cigerette box or a laser pointer mark. Helps to be accurate.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

the "ZOO" can get all exotics on 1 hunt. Seriously as far from other people as I can get. The closest I want others is on the plane flying overhead leaving a vapor trail.