Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School allowed prep bag

I would recommend something like this for you ..for your go to school EDC
    1. First Aid Kit with scissors...( the schools one might not be there when you need it.) The scissors can be used to substitute a knife.
    Remember to pack something for small cuts, or gashes as things might fall down from the ceiling.
    2. A bottle of drinking water.
    3. Fire making consisting of a dry cell and wire or steel wool ( as other fire making stuffs are not allowed, and when it gets bad, you might get the clearance to make a fire to keep warm, or to cook something.
    4.Mozzy net (if you really need one) or Insect repellent.
    5. Some drink mix and instant food.
    6. Torchlight.
    7. Medication (if you are on any or might need any).
    8. Cell phone.
    7. Maybe some paracord.
    8. Disposable poncho or rain wear..in case you need to evacuate the building.
    9. Bandana is good item cos a wet one can be used a s a dust mask. Maybe a pair of safety glasses.
    10. Some aluminum foils to be used as a cooking pot (if you are allowed to cook water).
    11. A sewing kit (you can help mend a girls torn skirt...whooowweee..it might lead to somewhere..haha) I have one in my EDC cos it helps you get out of certain embarrassment.
    12. Emergency contact list on yourself.

Make sure the bag is not too obvious and not too bulky, if not you will be leaving them aside all too soon.
    Last edited by Tokwan; 09-03-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

If you can it may not be a bad idea to buy a cheap pocket knife and bic lighter and maybe some of the other things you school prohibits and put them in a cache near the school if there's a spot for it where someone isn't likely to stumble on it. That way you have some of the more important items that you can't keep in the school if there is a tornado or other emergency.

EDIT: I see tokwan posted before me and after looking at it I want to add two things. I would be careful even with the steel wool and battery some schools might get funny about that so perhaps keep the battery inside a dummy item maybe a flashlight that doesn't work or some other cheap battery powered thing you can throw in there just to be safe. You also want to be careful with storing medication too as in some areas you could get I to trouble for that too, if you have medication you need for a medical issue or something like that you should be ok but just keeping even things as simple as aspirin or Tylenol could end up not turning out well.
    Last edited by backpacker3; 09-03-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Good one backpacker..the battery and steel wool should be packed separately before it catches your bag on fire...good catch there by Backpacker.
    As for the medications, I was only referring to those prescribed medications...if you were prescribed any...as I am not an American, I may have a tough time to articulate..so please excuse my English...or American...hahahahahaha
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I wouldn't include steel wool.
    Last edited by sjj; 09-30-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Yes, it could easily be misconstrued as being for drug use. If he explains the real reason for it that would be just as bad. I can't imagine a need for a fire starter in a school survival bag. The whole reason is to get to safety where ever that might be. To that end, whatever helps accomplish that is all that is needed IMO.

If you are in Junior High/High School, chances are, you have a locker. Consider making a stash for the locker. That way you don't have to carry so much stuff around all the time, and it will increase the chance that you have stuff at school and didn't forget it at home.

Also remember, your goal is to get home as quickly as possible. You aren't trying to survive in the wilderness. You have a 3 mile walk. Here are some more ideas....as if you needed any more.

In your locker stash:
    Extra warm clothes (Jacket, beanie, etc)
    Walking shoes
    Leather Gloves
    Water
    Food
    Flashlight
    Extra batteries
    Poncho
    Goggles, face mask
    whistle

In your pack at all times:
    Flashlight
    extra batteries
    face masks
    small poncho
    leather gloves
    warm hat
    water bottle
    energy bars
    whistle

Don't put too much in your pack. The more you put, the more you won't want to carry it, and then you won't have it when you need it. I know I doubled up on a few items. You never know, you might be talking to some hot chick at the time, and then have to save her.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I thinking that checking out what you can have would be first on the list.
    I this world od zero tolerance,... PC,.... anti-hurt your self with stuff, and aspirins considered drugs......There may not be much of any Gear other than clothes, and water bottles allowed...if that.

Now add to the back pack load to start with....you are pushing it.
    Just saying.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    Where/how are you carrying this kit?
    I would also add a flashlight, p38 can opener, and a card with important information such as name, address, phone numbers etc... And add a bottle of water.
    Can ferro rods be taken?
    I would probably lose the mosquito net.
    Looks like a good start to me.
    Ferro rods could be disguised as zipper pulls - just add a hole and a piece of cord to attach to the zipper.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Ferro rods could be disguised as zipper pulls - just add a hole and a piece of cord to attach to the zipper.
    good idea. Just be careful cutting and drilling them. Both operations create sparks galore.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

What's the purpose of a fire starter for a school bag? He just needs to get to safety be that somewhere else on campus so buses can run or walk 3 miles home. If the building is damaged then gas lines might also be damaged as might business and homes around the school. Don't need sparks for that.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Novice Fisher and Trapper

I am not going to bring ferro rods to school but I think I can stash them somewhre

If your goal is to escape danger at the school and to get home quickly, fire should not be a concern. Running shoes might be.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I always have running shoes on at school

Err by the way,..one question, how far away are you from school?

Rick...please help educate me ..can steel wool be associated with drugs? I think that's a new for us in Malaysia, can you help eductae me how can it be misconstrued?
    I get to learn something new.

I live 3 miles from the school and can get home fairly quickly

Okayyyyyy...maybe you do not need too many stuff anyway...use your imagination..or find out with your school if you declare the items and explain, would they allow certain things to be brought. That would help you make a better decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Err by the way,..one question, how far away are you from school?

Rick...please help educate me ..can steel wool be associated with drugs? I think that's a new for us in Malaysia, can you help eductae me how can it be misconstrued?
    I get to learn something new.
    Steel wool, or more specifically Chore Boy can be considered drug paraphernalia when found in conjunction with other items. It is used as a filter or screen when smoking some drugs.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hmmm..news to me as I don't think the drug addicts here use them...Thanks CD.
    Well...disguise a fire steel then...! But try talking to the school first. Maybe they would allow you and who knows, come up with their own disaster recovery program.

Ok I might have to check in with them about that. I do not think they will allow it so I will just keep it in a nearby ditch in a hole I can make some time.