Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: School allowed prep bag

Before you decide where to keep...determine whether you can access to the items should a Tornado warning is given versus the time taken to reach home.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I've use those mini fire steels as a paracord bracelet clasp before I drilled a tiny hole just big enough for some fishing line to fit into and stored about 20 feet or so of fishing line in the bracelet. When it's on there it looks harmless like a bead or something you could even cut it shorter if you wanted but I don't think that would be necessary. I doubt anyone would think twice about it as popular a paracord bracelets are these days and if they you you have two options play dumb like you don't know what it is or say you forgot and apologize. There's also the zipper pull idea but instead of drilling a hole I would put it inside a paracord pull, then it's completely hidden and I seriously doubt anyone would find it.

But like was said you don't really need it anyway I would recommend a kit solely designed to get you home under worst case scenario conditions. So you are 3 miles from your house and are in michigan which means the two most likely things to happen that would be considered "disasters" would be a tornado or a flood but you may also have to deal with storms heavy snow/blizzard like conditions or a full blown blizzard. Based on that I would recommend this:

First I would assume that you have the following on your person at all times

Decent walking shoes (nothing fancy but enough to get you home on foot if need be)
    Paracord bracelet ( I'd figure anywhere from 15-20 feet of cord on it as that's what mine usually have)
    A small flashlight, you'll want a small one, preferably one that runs on a single AAA battery. I like fenix lights but get whatever you want.
    Bandana
    Whistle, throw it on a key ring with your flashlight
    Cell phone

In you kit/locker/pack/whatever you're using

Spare batteries for your flashlight
    First aid kit, having scissors would be a good idea but make sure they aren't the crappy kind
    Poncho, the cheap 99 cent kind
    Survival blanket, if you got stuck out overnight it can be a shelter but also useful for first aid
    Some food, energy bars are good you could throw in some freeze dried stuff but energy bars are a lot easier
    water bottle
    You could also throw in some face masks and goggles if you want

In your locker

Jacket and warm hat

I left out some things you had mentioned like the mosquito net because you don't really need it for a short trip back home. You could add or take things away from this list as you like but for you it might work as a decent baseline.

I like that list, backpacker. The only thing I'd caution on is the cheap poncho. I was once hiking with a guy and we got into an awful blow. Very fierce wind. In about two minutes the cheap poncho he had looked like strings of Saran Wrap waving off of him. The wind ripped it to shreds. Literally. In the thunder storms that accompany tornadoes the same could happen to him.

Yeah I thought about that but since he'll only have 3 miles to walk and he'll have a jacket I didn't think it was a huge deal. It depends on what one you get too I've had something similar happen with a cheap poncho and I've had some that were actually decent.

Quote Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
    Yeah I thought about that but since he'll only have 3 miles to walk and he'll have a jacket I didn't think it was a huge deal. It depends on what one you get too I've had something similar happen with a cheap poncho and I've had some that were actually decent.
    LOL....I had had the problem with cheapo jacket/pants on real cold days.

One year deer hunting I didn't have a decent orange coat,...they were changing over from red....so bought a blaze orange "vinyl" jacket and pants...and was below zero... As soon as it got really cold, started cracking and flaking off .....was down to a couple of pieces in about an hour.....

Don't buy cheap rain suits any more.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Novice Fisher and Trapper

Ok backpacker I like that list and will have to add some of it

Quote Originally Posted by Backpacker
    he'll only have 3 miles to walk and he'll have a jacket I didn't think it was a huge deal.

Excellent point.

not trying to sell any thing but buy a steel striker from Self Reliance Outfitters like the ones in the form of a belt buckle or a pendant
    Last edited by guy from southernontario2; 05-22-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Default no title

not a lot of people know what a ferro rod is

Quote Originally Posted by guy from southernontario2 View Post
    not a lot of people know what a ferro rod is
    Probably not....but I think that most people that show up here do.....
    From our friends Google
    Quote>
    A flint spark lighter works by rapidly rubbing a small piece of ferrocerium upon the sharp edge of any substance that is harder than the rod, However carbon steel works better than most any other material in much the same way flint and steel are used.

Ferrocerium - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrocerium
    <quote.

I would add water purification tablets
    Semper Paratus

why is everyone on this ball of ferro rods..
    carry some tin foil like many have suggested, even the foil backing in Gum packs would work
    batteries you would already have...
    cut the tin foil into almost a bit of an hour glass shape,
    put it over the terminals of the battery, acts like an over loaded fuse, and you create fire.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 05-23-2017 at 03:28 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Ferro rods are cool......?....I hear ya.

Two kind of fires.....a ....Let's see if we can make this work.....Or Need a fire now, and don't care how
    Personally I'm a Bic and candle guy.

Battery and foil ...or paper clip, or spring from ball point pen, or steel wool(from the steel wool tree).....prison lighter...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    why is everyone on this ball of ferro rods..
    carry some tin foil like many have suggested, even the foil backing in Gum packs would work
    batteries you would already have...
    cut the tin foil into almost a bit of an hour glass shape,
    put it over the terminals of the battery, acts like an over loaded fuse, and you create fire.
    I tried to do that got hot but no fire or ember hot enough to start burning my fingers
    Semper Paratus

I think it is great to know multiple ways to start fire. As for me......the ferro rod is much more reliable (and repeatable) than a battery and aluminum foil.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Graf
    I tried to do that got hot but no fire or ember hot enough to start burning my fingers

No, no, no. You use tinder. Not your fingers. Jeese, I have to 'splain everything.