Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review on Wire saw

Novice Fisher and Trapper

Post Review on Wire saw

Like I was told by many people on here a wire saw is not very effective on big branches or even small branches. I do not recommend a wire saw unless you are a hunter who likes to travel light and not bring a backpack and have a small branch you want to cut in your treestand.

It depends on the quality and strength of the item. I have two (one in spare and one in my survival kit). The one I am using (forgot the brand) is about 4 years old and I have used them a few times when I practice surviving. It can be useful when you only have a small knife or when you have lost a knife and u need to cut some small branches (about 4 " in diameter). to make an emergency hooch.
    At least, it helps. It is small enough to coil and place in your survival container and does take up much space.
    Albeit, I have to admit I would prefer my Duku Chandong Parang and my Mora Bushcraft knife or my Bando Hand Saw, in time sof survival , it can be useful provided its a good quality wire saw.
    You should not use the saw harshly, glide it gradually and slowly and it will cut a branch of 4"..but it will take some time.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Yah I guess it can help but I personally prefer my folding Remington saw

Yeah...as I said..in a survival kit...to be used when you lost your knife or machete...you will need to practice as it takes some skill not to break the wire saw..I too use a foldong saw...Bahco!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Ditch the wire and go Silky

For my money, I'd go with a Bahco Laplander.
    There are versions of stow-able saws made with a chainsaw chain but I have never tried one.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Several members have given good reports on using the wire saw as a bow saw. I have not does this because I have a Gerber Sports saw that I like. Still, it's an option.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-03-2014 at 04:37 PM.

It depends on the wire saw you have like others have said if it's a single strand of wire then yeah they are pretty crappy but if you get a braided one they can be decent if you use them properly. You have to always keep a wire saw taught if there's any slack you'll get a bend in the wire that will snap when it hits the branch you're trying to cut.

You can also purchase rodsaw blades if you want something small and similar to the wire saw. 10 and 12 inch rodsaw blades are pretty common. They are usually diamond, carbide or tungsten embedded as a cutting surface. They are much more study, IMO, than the wire saws.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...odsaw%20blades

I will have to try to use it as a bow saw then thanks for the suggestion rick

and rod saws are for hacksaws and don't cut wood very well.. I don't think

Yep..use it as a bow saw..I use the braided ones. The cheaper ones will break at the joint (believe me, I have tried quite a few).
    The best thing about this is that is light and small, contributing to you to have a small and light survival kit.

ok I will make it into a bow saw tomorrow and test it out

Looking forward to hearing how it works for you that way.

Ease on the sawing, do not apply too much of a pressure like when you are using the conventional or normal saw which is much stronger. It will take a longer time. If its of a good quality, it will be usable. At least while you are out there surviving..It might not last forever...

I just got a pack saw
    http://beprepared.com/outdoor-edge-p...-3-blades.html
    Hope to test it out soon, been too busy to play

Ive been carrying a Fiskers pruning saw, works really good, but hard on the wrist after a while, why I got the pack saw.
    http://www.constructiongear.com/fisk...5KixoCs-_w_wcB

I tried to like the USGI wire saw, but no matter how I tried it, it sucked, and it was not very durable.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The trick is to ease up mon the pressure..yes it will take longer to cut something...but its an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Billey
    and rod saws are for hacksaws and don't cut wood very well

In essence, that's what you have now. It's just not as durable as a rodsaw. Neither are really designed to cut wood but will function at the job if you take your time and, as Tokwan said, don't force it.

There is also another situation where I don't force it and got the better out of it..hihi....

What exactly do u mean?