Thread: newbe posting

Default newbe posting

I have looked at several of the edible plant stuff and am intrigued however when in boy scouts I learnt about a plant that was edible but as of yet not seen listed the plant is burdock. It "LOOKS" like rhubarb minus the redish/purple stem, its stem and leaves are GREEN. Leaves and stem ARE poison however the root/tuber is edible after a couple of times boiling it is a rather fibrous potato like food.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is and intro section at
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

As far as your question...where did you get your information on the burdock?

Quick Google turned up this...

http://www.learningherbs.com/burdock_recipe.html
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

H63, you changed your sig; I like it.

Ditto on visiting the intro section. It's the polite thing to do. Welcome.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    H63, you changed your sig; I like it.

Ditto on visiting the intro section. It's the polite thing to do. Welcome.
    LOL...Yeah, Kyrat suggested I change it after a comment I made to the gamer here a while back.....besides, I carrying a whole lot more stuff than I ever have.....so I guess I know less.....or just getting old and lazy.

I would like to think we can give new members a running start.....sometimes that doesn't work, sometime it does.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just a heads up, a non-flowering Digitalis plant can look like an immature burdock if the leaves are all ratty in spring. The roots on the digitalis can be somewhat tuberous but they are usually shorter compared to burdock. Be sure you know what you are digging.

Not sure where you got your info on burdock.
    The root shouldn't be bitter if harvested before the plant flowers.

Here's another reference: http://foodunderfoot.com/burdock
    The leaves aren't poisonous like rhubarb but way too bitter. The leaf stems are edible.
    I hear you can even eat the flower stalk if you boil the bitterness out of it.

Don't assume it isn't rhubarb if the stalks aren't red. Look for the furry underleaf. Rhubarb isn't furry. I have Rhubarb seedlings all over the place and about 20% of them are green stalked. I rip them out and only keep the nice red ones.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant