Thread: Slings on shotguns

Default Slings on shotguns

I like a sling on long guns. At times I travel through some of the worst blow down and shintang imaginable and a sling on a long gun is nice but I haven't noticed slings on shotguns for the most part. I plan on slinging up some of my shotguns. Any thoughts or insights?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I sling my turkey guns for transport to and from, especially when carrying a bird and the rest of my gear...blind, decoy, pack etc.
    Don't keep it on when hunting, but tuck it in my vest pocket so as to not leave it behind when I get a bird and get all excited.

Sling up my slug guns for deer, for transport same as turkey....... but not when hunting duck, grouse, rabbit , squirrel....needs to be in your hands for best results.

All the guns have swivels, so it's a matter of clipping one on.

You know, I really don't like slings most of the time....and had a problem with the nephew walking thru the woods with the rifle slung on his shoulder always....When he was like 13 years old.

I would ask him when he is gonna start hunting....He would say, "I am"....but he wasn't ready.

One day as we was walking in after a round about walk and lunch....he jumped up a nice 8 pointer that had been laying down 30 ft off the trail in some scrub.......was carrying his rifle in his hands.....swung around and nailed it.
    Lesson learned and told me that.......

Slings have their place and are handy........most of the time.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-31-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have slings on my shotguns.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've been known to use a long arm to keep my slings from blowing down range when the wind picks up. Shotguns fill the role nicely.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I have a sling on my slug gun. But like Hunter63 said, for carrying, not for hunting.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    I've been known to use a long arm to keep my slings from blowing down range when the wind picks up. Shotguns fill the role nicely.
    That's slings.....not wings......just saying....

I don't hunt as I've never had anyone to teach me and would feel guilty about killing an animal and wasting the meat while I fubar it. My sks has a sling but it came with the gun. My shotguns do not. One is mainly for home defense and I wouldn't want a sling being in my way in those few precious moments.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Ok; the subject just changed. We need to pull together as a community and teach RX to hunt, dress and butcher game.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Valid point....that's why I don't want one on my duck gun, or turkey gun, caught on brush....gets in the way when swinging on a passing duck.

Honestly most all the slings spend more time off the gun....but sure are handy when lugging gear around or needing two hands when climbing or rough ground.......
    I like using a walking stick as well.

Another reason for a sling is to stabilize a shot....mostly for a rifle.
    Never have been able to use this method when I need to....so don't do it.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/02/25...n-scout-sling/

Ok; the subject just changed. We need to pull together as a community and teach RX to hunt, dress and butcher game.
    Remember..... hunting isn't for everyone....nor should it.
    Most hunters start on their own or with family....just something that drives them....so maybe a good idea....or not.....it is up to RX to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Another reason for a sling is to stabilize a shot....mostly for a rifle.
    Never have been able to use this method when I need to....so don't do it.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/02/25...n-scout-sling/
    This was basically the way I was taught to shoot offhand back as a kid. The sling was a hook style military sling, still prefer that style of sling.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Most hunters start on their own or with family....just something that drives them....so maybe a good idea....or not.....it is up to RX to decide.
    Indeed, but I don't hear the attitude of one either opposed to ill suited to responsible hunting. And in Georgia no less.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    This was basically the way I was taught to shoot offhand back as a kid. The sling was a hook style military sling, still prefer that style of sling.
    I've never been well suited to off hand shooting, at least not nearly so well as I'd lilke, but I do like the ching-sling support.

I would actually like to learn. Never even seen a fish gutted and cleaned other than on youtube. I honestly don't think I would enjoy it, but I feel it is a skill I need to learn for those 'just in case' moments.

Who knows. I have went to Bodies: The Exhibition with real remains of human people and touched some preserved organs there and held human bones in anatomy class. But that was also purely educational and I didn't have to deal with the blood or feel the bodies go from warm to cold.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Nor did I.

I have had many people, even one member of forum, 30's that lives close to me....that had related to me he wanted to learn to hunt and would I help him.

When asked if he had taken the hunter safety course...he said no, didn't have time, wasn' there or filled up when he wanted to go...so I said he had to have the certificate before I would take him.......Got kinda put off I guess.
    I took that as not really wanting to....????

Both of my big game shotguns (no rifles here in NJ) have slings. I was taught to use the sling to stabilize my shot when needed. Both of the slings are quick adjust type. When still hunting I keep the sling real tight to the gun.

I don't like slings on my small game guns, gets caught up in the brush way to much.

I have shotguns with and without slings. The heavy ones have them for transport. My SxS, Single and my Rem 1100 don't have them. The bottom line is what's right for you. If you want one go for it.

thanks for the comments. I was curious about this.