Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice from actual survivalists!

Question Seeking advice from actual survivalists!

Mmkay, this is my first post in a forum like this, and I am a COMPLETE novice at survival. It also covers two separate, unrelated topics, so I put it out here rather than in one of the sub-folders because I knew at least half the post would be guaranteed off-topic, apologies if this wasn't the right way to go about it. I am running a D&D-esque RPG (Different game system, but if you've ever even heard of D&D then you understand the principle at least), and one of the characters is a bit of a survivalist, and had a couple of questions that I thought you all could maybe shed a little light on. I know there really is no definitive answer for these things, because they all rely on a myriad of potentially-unknowable factors, but for the sake of a pen-and-paper RPG, even a vague, not-always-accurate ballpark figure will probably do just fine:

1. Firewood/camp fires: How much firewood, in terms of pounds, seems reasonable to keep a fire burning all night, if you set it up correctly? And (obviously, depending on the different styles of fire you could set up) about how big of an area might that be expected to heat? I'm talking about a fire which the character could set up before dark, maybe add wood and stoke all evening until he went to bed, and then leave burning all night to keep wild beasts at bay, and also stand a reasonable chance of not freezing to death until morning. If there's more than one valid answer (like for different climates), that's fine, more detail doesn't really hurt! This is assuming that all the characters in the group are able to acquire or construct adequate shelter for the terrain in question (whether that be a tent, a bivouack(sp?), an igloo or even just hiding under a rocky overhang to escape the rain.)
    2. Food: According to the system I use, in order for a character to remain healthy and not starve to death, they need 2500 calories a day (though actually, this might be an overestimation in a more relaxed/temperate climate, that number is for survival under great physical stress, in a very hot, swampy climate). I've tried researching energy density, and got nowhere helpful, but is it possible to back-calculate a volume of food to which this is equivalent? Obviously exactly WHAT you take is a factor, so it might be simple to think of a range, in the form of "2500 calories equates to 15-20 pounds of food" (numbers purely arbitrary to demonstrate a point).

Thank you to anyone who's able to offer insights into this admittedly rather weird thread!

I guess I can't tell if you are serious about survival in the wilderness, or just looking for someone to do your research for you so you can get on with your game.
    There is an intro section if you would care to use it and serious about learning, and not just filling in the blanks.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    Now to address your questions....but first a comment....Survival isn't a game...it's what yiu do when the game goes sideways.

1. Fire wood and lengthy of burn time:
    With proper clothing and shelter fire isn't necessary unless it just to boil water....Have you given any thought to hydration?
    2. Food/calories
    You can go 3 weeks with out food....maybe a little less....but one MRE = 1250 calories @ 18 to 28 oz. ave. weight.
    You fill in what you want.

Good luck on your game.
    Survival isn't a game
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Honestly you're better off making up arbitrary figures. There are way too many variables in the questions you asked to give a consistantly accurate figure. A game is a game it doesn't need to be true to life. After all anyone who wants to learn about survival through a RPG is already in trouble.

This is soooooo not the thread i was looking for.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Survival isn't a game...it's what you do when the game goes sideways.

OK Hunter, it is now officially time to change your signature!

I am not even going to attempt to explain why the OP can not be answered rationally!

Pounds of firewood?? When was the last time anyone weighed their firewood pile? You look at the pile and say "that's enough", then double the pile!

Yep, its a gamer all right.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Seriously....get real. Hunter63 said it in a nutshell...Survival is SERIOUS, not a game. Weird thread... nothing!

DomC
    Last edited by DomC; 08-29-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    OK Hunter, it is now officially time to change your signature!

I am not even going to attempt to explain why the OP can not be answered rationally!

Pounds of firewood?? When was the last time anyone weighed their firewood pile? You look at the pile and say "that's enough", then double the pile!

Yep, its a gamer all right.
    I have to agree with a signature...my old one was before hauling around my gear in Big Red and trailer....
    Done

Blog Entries

Cool Howdy from Sarge!

Welcome. You may notice that I moved your thread to the introduction section. Just jumping in with a question like the one you posted without a proper intro is a great way to get either ignored or receive negative remarks. It's just plain rude. You might want to think on that....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hunter already beat me to the MRE answer. LOL.

RPGs have been rudimentary survival games since day one. How many health potions can your character carry and still make it back to the temple alive enough to be made whole. LOL. Just remember, don't eat the garlic or you will never win at Zork. LOL.
    Fweep fweep fweep. And the large vampire bat has carried you to.... THE GAS ROOM! BOOM! You have died.
    Oh. Wait.
    That game was probably before you were even born. LOL.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Good Lord....is this what survival has come to?........I mean OMG, WTF and LOL and stuff........
    Did like Pong in the saloon....

Awe, come on Hunter. Even in Zork you had matches, a candle, a bell, and a flashlight (It's dark. You are likely to be eaten by a Grue) plus a whole bunch of other tools you found that you had to use in the right order in the right places. Games today can only have gotten more sophisticated, right?
    But this sorta sounds like the classic, "I don't know what I'm doing but I'll write about it anyway" type of deal.
    Is this game gonna make a lot of money? I'm open for a collaboration contract.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Awe, come on Hunter. Even in Zork you had matches, a candle, a bell, and a flashlight (It's dark. You are likely to be eaten by a Grue) plus a whole bunch of other tools you found that you had to use in the right order in the right places. Games today can only have gotten more sophisticated, right?
    But this sorta sounds like the classic, "I don't know what I'm doing but I'll write about it anyway" type of deal.
    Is this game gonna make a lot of money? I'm open for a collaboration contract.
    I know not of what you speak....kids do, I would think and D&D...
    When they were small, and video game were new, I would open their Christmas presents and practice the new game before they got up....so I could win for a day or so......

One New Years, my son and I were playing Atari Asteroids.....He rolled the game over at a million points...the I took over and did the same...we shut it off.... tied...took three days, and DW wanted the TV back.

My thumbs still get stiff when cold......

I was in high school when Atari came out. D&D with cards came well after that era of my life and I had better things to be doing then. My dad made my mom angry for a month when he purchased an Apple II plus with the mortgage money. Besides actually learning to program the thing while in college, I played all those scroll games on it (all the early adventure games were in written words.) Zork was one of them. They made you think and make choices and you didn't win if the choice was wrong, but didn't find out for days afterward. So that's sorta like survival, right? LOL. Screw up bagging that rabbit yesterday and tomorrow is gonna be hungry?. Not so much, I guess.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I dont think anyone here is qualified to be an expert & real survivalist... except for the new registers...

EB

We didnt have much money, I had to play Zork on a VIC-20.

Seriously.

EB

Yeah, my buddy played on a TSR-80.
    I sure am happy my dad did what he did though with the Apple even though it did make my mom literally cry (she always worried about money and food for us kids.) He put me years ahead in college physics and statistics learning to program that thing and learning Visicalc. The college was still using batch cards. I made a little bit of money selling the non-data parts of the statistical card sets I came up with. I had even more fun telling the physics...uh...classmates...to go pound sand and figure it out for themselves.
    Last edited by LowKey; 08-29-2014 at 11:25 PM.

The question you need to ask yourself about fire isn't how much wood you need, it's how insulated is your shelter. you mention an igloo as a possibility. Snow is an excellent insulator, so body heat and a very small flame like an oil lamp will make it reasonable comfortable. Try that sheltering under a rock overhang and you will get very different results. So if you really want to inject realism, you want to consider that.

That being said, it's an RPG. go for realism, but also go for what's fun. Which topic...is it Pathfinder? It's Pathfinder, isn't it?

Lowkey,

You have no idea about the TSR-80. LOL

My dad bought the TSR-80 in the early 80's. 4k of RAM and ROM was a cassette deck. A family friend built a modem out of wood and electronics. You set the hand set in the modem and dialed in from there. My dad signed up for a BBS service called Compuserve. They sent you a cassette with a couple of BASIC programs. The TSR-80 was programed in Color Basic. I would code hours of a program and then have to figure out the errors and line by line debug and convert.

My dad kept that computer till I bought him a new computer in 1998. LOL He had upgraded it to 64kb by that time. So he jumped to 64mb and a lot fast system bus I am sure

By the time I moved up to the C64 with a disk drive, lemme tell you what, I was in HIGH COTTON then! My buddy and me were signed up on a local BBS, I think he charged $12 a year a little before it started to fail (the BBS burst, it was about the time that dial up Enternet was coming into play).

Ahh the good times.

This was my first IBM clone, I cant remember how much it cost me, I think $350 but at thee time that was a LOT of dough (I was paying $225 a month rent for reference)
    http://oldcomputers.net/ace1000.html

Man that was a good computer (for what it was)

My Packard Bell was the first system that had Windows (3.1), that was a big move up for me! I was still mastering DOS.
    http://www.pcmuseum.ca/details.asp?id=261

I *still* run DOS batch files when doing a lot of my video encoding... I do *NOT* run any GUI software, I use SoX, FFMPEG, HandbrakeCLI and Mencoder for all my video encoding, transcoding, audio manipulation, etc..

For video EDITING, I do run a modern program, though I like a lot of what AVIsynth can do! VirtualDub too..

We really got off topic, but its still a fun thread!!

EB

Y'all just made my head hurt.........