Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Back

Default I'm Back

And for you wise acres (you know who you are) yes, I've been gone. We spent three days in Jackson, Wy and a couple of weeks in Yellowstone. We had some side excursions including hiking Red Canyon in Montana and Craters of the Moon in Idaho. I'll spare you the touristy pics. You can look those up on the net if you need to see what Old Faithful looks like but I do have some that's I'll post that are either unique, funny or just good overall pics. We traveled 5000 miles, had perfect weather except of a couple of brief instances (including a tornado warning in Idaho while driving) and no major injuries so all in all it was a success.

I found the people in Yellowstone to be far more ... how do I put this ... interesting (I'll be nice) than just about anything else there. I told my wife it would be terribly selfish of me to want to see Yellowstone while no one else is around but there were some generally stupid folks there. More on that in a minute.

Yellowstone, if you haven't been there, has to be one of the most unique geological places on earth. If you like the smell of hydrogen sulfide and bubbling mud you'll be right at home there. I was surprised to learn that it's not one caldera but actually seven stretching back into Idaho and southwest of Boise. Pretty incredible. To know you are actually driving through a volcano's caldera is pretty humbling. Especially when you realize how large it it.

If the U.S. every wanted to invade China they should have done it last week. Every Chinese man, woman and child was in Yellowstone. All 1.3 billion of them. Crammed in buses until they ran out of buses and then they crammed them in cars. No offense to the orientals on here but I'm convinced they are the worst drivers in the world. Okay, they are in a foreign country, we drive on the wrong side of the road and the signs are in English...sort of...but still. I thought I was going to have to get a cow catcher installed on the front of the van. That's a bit tongue in cheek so don't flame me. But just a bit. I'll share more on this in another post.

For now, let me share what you won't find on the internet about Yellowstone.

What’s not in the brochures.
    I have coined a new law of nature…the Synergy of Stupid. If you put enough people into a small enough area the level of stupid will extend far beyond the sum of all the stupid people in that area. Sort of the fission version of stupid. Here are some actual examples…some we saw multiple times…of really stupid stuff.

1. Passing on a double yellow blind curve is perfectly acceptable. Day or night, clear or foggy doesn’t matter a whit. Give ‘er the gas and go. The reason we didn’t see a head on collision is proof that God watches over babies and fools.

2. When parking you should take up as many parking spaces as possible. Yellowstone must have given out bonus points on this because I saw vehicles taking up as many as 3 parking spaces. I’m not sure how you can determine you should park sideways in a parking space but they did it none-the-less.

3. If the parking lot is full feel free to park in the right turn lane. The cars behind you will soon get the message that you have abandoned your vehicle and they will do the same.

4. If the parking lot AND the right turn lane are full feel free to park in the road. The good folks in Yellowstone were smart enough to put in two lanes. Since only one lane is needed for traffic the other will serve just fine as a parking lot.

5. Allow your child to walk on the edge of walls or other steep terrain. But only when the drop is of 50 feet or more onto rocks or hot thermals. There have only been three deaths in Yellowstone this year so the odds are in your favor.
    Two people died while we were out there. A 22 year old park employee was rafting and in violation of the rules and drowned. An eight year old girl fell 550 feet to her death. We still saw multiple examples of kids taking huge risks with the parents right next to them. Frankly, they scared the bejeesus out of me.

6. Feel free to leave the path and stand on the very edge of a hot thermal so your picture can be taken. We saw at least one gentlemen do this very thing. He knelt down beside a sign that had a man with a circle and a hash mark through it. I don’t care what your native language is that’s pretty universal. He was very fortunate the ground held him.

7. If you see an animal you should stop your car immediately. If you are on a blind curve all the better. The screeching tires behind you will cause the animal to look up from grazing and you’ll get a much better photo.

8. If you see an animal you should jump out of your car and go running toward it, preferably with a 7 or 8 year old child in tow. Remember, the closer you get the better the photo will be. This one scared the bejeesus out of me too. I did not want to witness a kid getting trampled. I can’t imagine what a 500 pound elk or a 1200 pound bison must think when they see people running across a field or into the woods after them. It can’t be good though.

9. Always remember the 45 mph speed limit is only a suggestion. Feel free to drive whatever speed you choose. Your inertia when slamming into a bison at 60 will probably move the animal out of the way and you’ll sail right through. Probably. The park rangers ran radar a LOT and they had folks pulled over a LOT.

10. Feel free to park where ever you choose. In front of a No Parking sign is generally open and you can park in front of those just about anywhere. One guy was getting a ticket for this very offense even though the sign was RIGHT THERE. Hello? Here’s your sign.

I'm working on the pics so much more to come!

Well I didn't hear the Yellowstone had blown up...so we still safe....Thank you for the test run.
    Glad you had a good time.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

And you didn't even call.....

For #5, what ever you do, don't go to the Grand Canyon.
    For #8, they do that with grizzlies as well. It is a shame when the rangers have to put the grizzly down for helping the rest of us out and culling the "herd".

I have actually never been to Yellowstone. Too many people for me. However, all your points echo what others have told me.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Woof, I woulda said that you could have stopped by and visited but I have to remember that the map shrinks when people get used to driving, say, from Selma to Denver.

But I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. Actually, I did see the think about the little girl falling off the cliff on the Internet. The stuff about drivers I just infer from the drivers in Colorado. The animal/kids/photography thing is a pretty common rule in US state and national parks.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Blog Entries

Nope, not going to say it...it's just too easy.

Sounds like Southend Beach on a Bank Holiday. Bad parking, poor parenting, even poorer photo opportinities. All the wildlife comes out after dark.

After all of that, I hope you and your good lady wife had a nice time and I look forward to pics.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Glad you and Mrs. Rick had a safe and fun vacation.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Darn, he's back!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Rick who???????? don't call, don't write, where's the love? no pictures, tee shirts, coffee cups LOL.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Did you get anything for me Rick?
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Blog Entries

Cool Rick?

Who are you again?....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

See? Wiseacres.

Dang, back so soon? I just got the lay-z-boy formed to my acre!

Glad you had a good trip and good report.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

OK Rick, spill it. How many and in what colors did you buy? You know what ... "h......".
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Great trip report!

About the kids and close calls. It can happen by mistake in the dark. Our first time to the Grand Canyon we arrived in the dark. We were staying at Bright Angel Lodge. The kids were a few steps ahead of me on the paved walkway. They decided to skip ahead a few more paces. They were five and six.

All of a sudden, it was like my guardian angel said "stop those kids"! I yelled out strong and loud "red light" which was their instruction anywhere in the world to stop dead and they often got a small treat for obedience. They stopped and as I walked towards them the canyon drop off was less than 10 feet away. No fence, No lights, no warning sign on the paved path to the Lodge. Needless to say my DH and I were wrecks when we got to the room.

At check in, no one had mentioned there was no fencing along the edge of the rim or that the walkway would take you directly into it in T-bar pattern.

When we looked the next day we just thanked ours and their guardian angels.
    I cannot imagine allowing small children to go near the edge of a drop off.

Glad you return safe and were not injured by the crazy drivers.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

I saw a very similar thing with a kid about 12 or 13 at the Grand Canyon. He went running toward the edge and stopped at the last second. He narrowly avoided a several hundred foot plunge. He had no idea what was about to happen. He just saw it at the last possible moment.

The stuff we saw at Yellowstone was different. One example was the parents and a kid about 8 walking down a path. The kid hopped up on a stone wall that was about 16 inches wide. The drop off on the other side was at least 50 feet into a hot thermal spring. He walked down the wall several feet before hopping back down. The parents appeared to be oblivious to the danger. We saw quite a bit of that. Scary stuff...at least for me.

Geez Rick, did you get promoted to Captain Obvious? I can't believe people are that ignorant in a park of that nature, enough to make me not want to go there.

Unfortunately, Jimmyq, you don't have to go to a National park to see people act stupid. I see the same sort of stuff pretty much where ever I go. For instance, go to Wal-Mart sometime and watch the kids there. The parks are worth going to because they preserve geologically and historically relevant places in the country.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I just have to take a look at my Boss.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Rick ??? Rick who?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

The name is Ban....Ban Button. My friends call me sir.