Thread: Solar panels - Let it burn?

Default Solar panels - Let it burn?

Was doing some research on fire codes in regards to solar panels.
    Seems there are firefighting issues with dense arrays on a roof.
    First I'd heard of this.
    Isn't there a way to ground out the activated panels so they aren't quite so lethal?

http://solarenergy.net/News/tackling...-firefighters/
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Interesting.....I have heard about fears on electric or hybrid cars with rescue personnel.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I think the fire concern is exaggerated, UNLESS the array is not installed per code(s) and not installed by attentive, qualified, well-trained techs. Most solar-PV fires are due to stray currents due to ground faults. If well and properly installed, a code-compliant PV system includes ground fault protection that opens all conductors in the PV source/output circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post
    I think the fire concern is exaggerated, UNLESS the array is not installed per code(s) and not installed by attentive, qualified, well-trained techs. Most solar-PV fires are due to stray currents due to ground faults. If well and properly installed, a code-compliant PV system includes ground fault protection that opens all conductors in the PV source/output circuit.
    I guess I would wonder how anyone would know if it was safe or not.
    Most would error on the conserve side, and just not take a chance.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My solar panels converter does not work unless it receives electricity from the grid. There is a breaker for them at the Main meter of the house. One of the first things the fire dept. does is turn off the electricity and gas.
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

I don't think you're reading this right. I don't mean the panels themselves catching on fire. But what happens if the building they are on catches on fire.

The fire department can shut off the breaker, but the panels are still pumping electricity on the top side. Seems those can't be shut off unless covered with a dark tarp. They are saying even the lights of the fire equipment at night can activate them. Plus the danger of them melting, or falling through a compromised roof, or being struck from below if someone is punching a vent during a fire.

I did download the NFPA 2010 report. Interesting read.
    from the PDF:
    "If a photvoltaic solar array becomes engulfed in a fire, care should be exercised in fighting the fire, and it should be attacked similarly to any piece of electrically energized equipment. Normally this would involve shutting down the power and applying water in a fog patter on the photovoltaic array, but it is critical to be aware that a solar panel exposed to sunlight is always "on" and energized. Further, the eletrical energy produced by multiple series connected panels or large solar systems are normally very dangerous."

This 2013 report even states that flame spread tests on the materials used to construct panels aren't being conducted to the same extent other building materials are. Many plastics, once on fire, burn to completion. Not to mention the hazardous stuff in the panels themselves if burned and any battery power packs should they burn.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

They could probably be rendered pretty safe with foam retardant. I don't know how prevalent it's use is in firefighting in general, but I bet it would work.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

The NFPA report says the foam slides off and isn't opaque enough.