Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapest Recommended Pistol

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Cheapest Recommended Pistol

Not wishing to hijack a thread, I am bouncing this thread off the Hi-point thread.

What is the cheapest pistol you consider adequate for an emergency use firearm or would recommend to a first time buyer on a limited budget?

Quality, accuracy and reliability being the primary factors with all considerations being above the level of the Hi-point.

Major brand snobs need not reply, nor do we need to be instructed to save our money and buy a Glock.

With that in mind let's set a top price of $325 for any contender and shoot for lower price.

Anyone have an opinion?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I bought a S&W sd40ve for about $310 accurate reliable good little pistol i carry it every day.

I looked at (but did not shoot) a keltec P-11. I have heard a few here own keltecs.
    The SCCY guns are inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty but a local gun shop proprietress told me ( when asked if she liked them) that they have shipped quite a few of them back.
    The Bersa Thunder 380 can also be had for less than $325 but I'd like to see a first timer get something in a little bigger caliber for their first gun.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I've owned a few Smith and Wesson SD's (9 & 40) that were reliable and shot well. They can be had (last I checked) for under $300 new-in-box if you catch a sale.

If that first time buyer was also an inexperienced user of firearms I would recommend a used 357/38 revolver.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a Keltec PF9, a Taurus PT111 that retail in that general area. I have also picked up a SW revolver in .44 Magnum for $250 used. And I picked up a Sig P226 Navy in 9mm with a soft case and 5 spare mags for $350 in like new condition.

I gonna vote S&W SD in 9mm, or Ruger LCP 380.
    Around here revolvers are "nuts money these days.

Lets stick to new.
    Can't really count "used deals" as,....
    #1 they really aren't there when you need/want it....and
    #2 aren't available to everyone, everywhere....
    #3 when someone posts what they paid for their deal....I would not believe it unless I was the seller.
    Everyone knows that the best deal are on the interweb to everyone but me.

Used deals are more of a found treasure or gift.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Used Glock 17 or 19 and be done with it.

Im a Sig fan, but the Glock is a fine weapon and for the outlined limits, I cant think of anything better...

EB

I just can't think of a reason not to justify a $600 price range for any critical pistol requirement, but within your criteria, I would not mind siding with Taurus. The msrp on their medium fram 9 and 40 pistols are a good bit higher, but sticker prices often fall within the limit.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I'm not abandoning my support for the hi-point by any means by the way, but my choice is a far better pistol without too much increase in price tag.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Yes we know that there are some of you out there whose skin will dry up, curl up and fall off if you touch anything but a Glock or SIG and live under the threat of having to keep an epi-pen on them in case they touch a gun worth less than $500 and suffer an allergic reaction.

We also know that there are some out there that have never been poor or faced a restricted budget.

That was addressed in the OP due to the presence of folks who are allergic to "cheap but good" all over the internet.

This thread is for those of us that have been poor, or still are poor, or can not bare the though of having a $600+ firearm stolen from under the seat of the pickup, but still want a serviceable quality "new off the shelf" firearm.

I know you said "new off the shelf" but isn't there an option to ask someone with experience to go along with you for that first purchase and maybe find something affordable in a used piece?
    Otherwise, backing out. I don't have the experience with some of the low cost pieces. Seems this state I live in tends to not put those on The List... I can't say I've seen anything new in any gun store here for under $600, but then that may be because anything lower sells fast.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I haven't been in the new gun market for some time. I would rather opt for a cz-52 or a tokerev on the surplus market if I had to choose.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

A zip gun can't get any cheaper

Watching this thread with interest.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Look for a used Bersa thunder in 380. Good gun n goes bang every time.

I generally don't look at price first.... when I'm in the market.
    Product first, then worry about price......and that means most of the time I don't buy anything....LOL.
    Take me a while to decide if "I" ....need it, or just want it....but will say that decision is up to me....and sometimes I just want it.

When dealing and someone tells me "Gotta check with DW" that means no.

That said, I do have friends that look at a flyer .....and automatically head for the lowest price.... first.
    Then try to justify the lowest price to me or any one that will listen.....Many times they will just go a buy what ever, not tell me at all, but defend it with all their might when something goes south.

Each to his own.....and I will concede that when a "deal" does come along...that may take preference over "gotta be a whatever"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Each to his own.....and I will concede that when a "deal" does come along...that may take preference over "gotta be a whatever"
    That's me too. I keep some cash put aside so if someone has to sell something I can get it for a good price. If it is a good firearm for a great price, I figure I can always get my money back out of it. Course, I haven't sold a gun since 1988. LOL

CZs are not cheap anymore... next?

I looked on gunbroker a bit a go. I had no idea cz-52s were going for 300 plus dollars. I think I paid 135 dollars for mine. Wonder what a tokerev is going for?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

TT33 are going for $200-$250 in 9mm.

That is new Serbian production, not used surplus.