Thread: Trying to re-earn my Man Card

Default Trying to re-earn my Man Card

Good afternoon. I'm a 48 year old Marine, currently and permanently serving in an Inactive status. My Wife and I live just outside of Portland, Maine. I will have worked for Walmart for twenty years as of January next.
    I say I'm trying to relearn my Man Card because I haven't been off the beaten path in almost six years. In July of 2008, I was diagnosed with Neuro Lyme Disease, Babesia and Ehrlichiosis. They did a number on me and I still haven't fully recovered. I'm not going to dwell on that. Any questions you might have about these diseases, I'll be glad to share what I know.

Your Prior Relevant Training: I was a Scout, (Life, dang it) and a river guide with the O.A.. I joined the Marines in '84 and stayed until '88. I've been in the woods and on the water for a good part of my life.

I'm not going to claim a status any higher than Intermediate on any topics because I lost significant blocks of memory due to the Neuro Lyme and resulting Encephalitis. I may rate higher on some things but, I feel most comfortable with going this way.

I'll primarily be looking around to see what you all know that I still know, as opposed to what I THINK I know. I'm really looking forward to this.

Welcome. Many of the FOGs here deal with various conditions resulting in handicaps of some sort. A major part of this learning experience is 1) we aren't in our 20s anymore and 2) a major part of surviving is working around those irritants or impediments.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

From a tired old Army grunt, welcome tired old devil dog!

Dont expect the same pace as when you were young, but GO have fun and enjoy the field!!

EB

You never lost your card. Once a Marine always a Marine
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    Thank you for your service.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome from Alaska. You'll be amazed at the amount of knowledge here and the people willing to share.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Welcome! And I'm pretty sure you get a permanent, irrevocable man card when you join the Marines.

Hello and welcome. Thank you for your service.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Howdy from Sarge!

Semper Fi Devildog! Welcome aboard! Thank you for your service! I have a son who served with the Marines during Desert Storm. Found out really quick ain't no such thing as a "former" Marine! OOOHRAH! And a 2nd one for being a Life Scout! Keep your head up and your powder dry!....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sarge, Sarge, Sarge.......there is no thing as an ex-Marine, just former Marines.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Welcome from Malaysia!
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Blog Entries

Cool Ahem!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Sarge, Sarge, Sarge.......there is no thing as an ex-Marine, just former Marines.
    Not according to my Jarhead son, squid!.......
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Hello there from across the pond......

*hollering out the window* Crash! Oh Craaash! We may have found another F.A.R.T!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Not according to my Jarhead son, squid!.......
    I'm willing to bet that you misunderstood him. Ask again. It is a pretty proud point that EVERY Marine I have met makes sure to mention if anybody uses the word ex in front of Marine.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My dad wouldn't even use "former" Marine. He was a Marine until final Taps.

Welcome Stillmaine.
    And thank you for your service.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you mentioned it...

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'm willing to bet that you misunderstood him. Ask again. It is a pretty proud point that EVERY Marine I have met makes sure to mention if anybody uses the word ex in front of Marine.
    I used the term "former," to him once and was quickly advised that there was no such thing! "Inactive" was okay though....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Welcome to your new home, Thank You for your service!
    Semper Paratus

Thank you all for the warm welcoming! I'm anxious to stop and make all of your acquaintances but, right now I'm hitting the rack. I've been a third shifter for nearly twenty years now and I think I'm starting to get a handle on this sleep pattern.

Just to clarify, there are no ex-Marines, barring conviction of a high crime. There are likewise no former Marines. If you noticed in my intro, I AM a Marine. I'm just currently serving in an Inactive (very) Capacity. We are not released from of Oath even in death. I quote the third verse of the Marine's Hymn, "If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scenes, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!"
    We are, from the day we graduate Boot Camp, wether from Parris Island or San Diego, forevermore, Marines.

Thank you, and Good Night.

Semper Fi, Marine!