Thread: packs

Default packs

wanting to get me a pack for my survival . what do think about a haversack or are they something better anyone could reccomend. dont want to carry to much but want to make sure i have what i need. thanks for any help

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is an introduction section here.....

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Posting an intro, and tell us a bit about your self, will really help in trying to answer your request.

Now then, what exactly are you surviving?, ......Where, when, for how long?....SHTF, TEOTWAWKT, GOOD, GHB, PSK, HFP?
    If you live in Alaska.... will be different, than Florida.....I you see what I mean?
    Might also want to red over this sticky.....
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ve-in-the-Wild
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Somewhere around here there is a thread about choosing a pack. The biggest advice anyone can give you is to go to an outfitter store and try a bunch of them till you find one you like. But on the otherhand, I liked my medium ALICE pack and they're affordable.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I have 100% enjoyed every single outing with my USMC ILBE ruck sack.. My whole time as a grunt I had to carry the old ALICE pack, and that is pure hell on your back and shoulders!

Though the ILBE wont make the weight any lighter.. its the best pack Ive ever carried!

By price, it is a lot cheaper than most commercial pack that offer the same comfort.

HTH,
    EB

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That last link that Hunter gave you will give us the best chance of giving you worthwhile advice. Take a good look through it and let us know.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Thank you, kind sir, for not asking "what's the best survival knife I can get?" Whew! Close call!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Thank you, kind sir, for not asking "what's the best survival knife I can get?" Whew! Close call!...
    Well Sarge you know what the difference in that situation happens to be.

Those of us that have carried heavy packs for long distances know that there is absolutely no "good pack". They are all bad. Some start hurting you as soon as you put them on and some wait until you are far enough away from the house that you can't turn around and go back.

In contrast, a good knife is not that difficult to carry, normally does not cause you excessive pain and is often a pleasure to feast the eyes upon. So we debate furiously over them.

Even if a pack is pretty you know that SOB is eventually going to get heavy and hurt you. (I had an x-wife that did the same thing!)
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-23-2014 at 01:40 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Spot on Kyrat!

I use med/large ALICE. they are cheap and find them just as comfy as anything else I've tried. The thing I've noticed with ALICE packs is that people who are taller (6ft and greater) and those who are broader shouldered seem to be the ones that find them the most uncomfortable. I am neither, have placed after market extra padded straps on them, and I make sure that the overall weight does not exceed fifty pounds. I also use the waist strap with an extra padded kidney pad. With the straps properly adjusted, I can carry it for some distance and time without feeling like I'm going to die. It does get a tad uncomfortable after a while, but not unbearable.

What works for one though may not work for another.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

My basic complaint with the alice pack is that the empty pack with straps, frame and belt weighs in at 8 pounds.

When I am/was backpacking I usually allow myself one pound food per day (usually dehydrated). That means that my an alice pack alone weighs as much as a week of food. I have used commercial packs since I got out of the army and never looked back with any regrets.

I do not care if the pack is "sturdy", bullet proof, or able to stand up to abuse. I am no longer fighting any wars, dropping packs from choppers, loaning my gear to careless souls or rappelling down cliffs face first in a Bear Gryls episode.

I bought this mechanical burro. It carries more stuff than I can, has 4wd, electric windows, AC and a seat warmer that vibrates. About 5 years back I drove it to a trail head and took the pack from the cargo bay. As I walked up the hill to the trail I remember thinking," I'm 60 years old, I've had a heart attack and three back surgeries and this pack already hurts my shoulders! What the he!! am I doing up here?"

My pack experience from that point has been day packs for a short hike.

I am still working on the concept of something that includes the term "less pain" being a form of recreation.

I prefer a USGI Butt Pack to a flat type haversack. I carry it over my rt. shoulder on a canvas strap. I'm a lefty, and attach my canteen and cup to the lft. (rear facing) side. It perfectly holds my rain jacket strapped under it. I'm a sucker for older canvas GI gear.

The butt pack and harness was really a well thought out option, within its limitations.

There was a standard setup.

Butt-pack went center of the belt in back. You could shove two C-rat packs in there.

Poncho was rolled to specs and lashed on top

One canteen went on each side of the pack.

Two ammo pouches in front hooked into the harness/belt.

Aid pouch in front by buckle

Pistol mag pouches on left side by rifle ammo pouch.

Pistol on the right

Knife or bayonet on the left

Even the butt-pack load out could get heavy and unless you had a butt like one of the Kardasian sisters you did really needed the harness.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Bought an ILBE pack awhile back, then the 3 liter water bladder that goes with it. It rides a lot better than the A.L.I.C.E packs that I have. Not a bad bag and with the two front loading zippers that run the length of the bag, it's easier to get at what you may want. For shorter jaunts I have different packs, but the military butt pack with load-bearing option isn't bad either. Love it!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I do have a few...a Low AlpineMilitary style 65L back pack, a Aquapac Wet and Dry 35 L back pack and my latest is a Karrimor Trail 35 L backpack..for below 22lbs, I use the Karrimor..for extended trips (more than 4 days, I use the Lowe Alpine. If I am riding my dirtbike and doing Motorcycle Camping..I use yhe Giantloop Coyote.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

For the OP....get all the stuff you plan to put in the pack...and then get the pack. The amount of stuff will determine what type of pack.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Arcteryx Bora 90