Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last True Hermit?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Default The Last True Hermit?

Has this been posted yet? If he had learned some skills, his life could have been so much easier (and more legal). But obviously there is some mental health issues going on here.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/news...?currentPage=1
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Wow. That's quite a read.

In a way, it's kind of amazing what he was able to accomplish without skills. Granted, it took a great deal of breaking and entering and theft, but that he was able to survive that way for so long

Blog Entries

Yep, there has 1T. Can't find it though. It was found out that the man was a few sandwiches short of a picnic(not in a good way) and trashed said cabins and generally made a nusance of himself.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I hope he receives the mental help that he needs.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I can recall a discussion earlier....but was worth revisiting.....Thanks
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

In a way I'm insanely jealous. Who hasn't fantasized at some point about walking away from society and never looking back? In reality though, I doubt I could handle the isolation, that would be tough. Plus I have a family, I could never leave them behind.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Quite a few different perspectives of the guy. The folks most obsessed with catching him, and those who captured images of him during burglaries all claim he was very cautious and tidy when robbing them. Others claim he messed up their cabins & houses, and even destroyed items.

I would have to assume the people with the most knowledge and proof are the ones with the correct impression, and the folks who say he destroyed stuff were probably robbed and vandalized by copy cats or kids.

He survived through habits - and one of those key habits was returning numerous times to homes and cabins and cottages to raid the supplies. Why would he ever destroy stuff that could later be useful to him? Why would he destroy stuff if he was trying to not let a soul even know he existed?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes, there are several perspectives one can take, some of them very noble and positive.

Until you find that it is your cabin that has been raided, your stuff that has disappeared and your security that has been violated.

There is a reason it is called "BREAKING and entering".

It is a crime, not an optional lifestyle.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    In a way I'm insanely jealous. Who hasn't fantasized at some point about walking away from society and never looking back? In reality though, I doubt I could handle the isolation, that would be tough. Plus I have a family, I could never leave them behind.
    I do think you are correct in thinking everyone has moments of wanting to just head out and leave it all behind....Lots of folks show up here and want to know how that with just their knife.

This guy has a problem, maybe one that will never be solved...some folks aren't wired the same in their head.

The is a guy that lived and still does live in the area of "The Place"....and has for many years.
    Talked to him a few times....doesn't really what to be mess with, and is "different".

Lived in a school bus, off any kind of grid on a river bank...... till it was flooded a few times.
    Then a home made yurt....which was falling down, in a couple of years.....until I gave him a old 16ft camper trailer.

The land that he lived on, don't know the real story on how or why....was being sold, so the trailer got moved, and he still lives in it..... I'm told.

Guy had money, (I guess) a goat, donkey (has donkey cart that he drive around) and dog....but the dog didn't like him, went to live with the neighbor (again I was told to me by the neighbor)....also was a vegan, related by another neighbor that tried to give him some chili....but had meat in it.

One really cold winter, no one had seen him for while.....and were worried, and went looking for him.....Turned out he went on vacation to Hawaii for a couple of months.

Some people are just wired different.......Right? Wrong?...Who's to say?

Can't condone or tolerate a thief, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    it is called "BREAKING and entering".

It is a crime, not an optional lifestyle.
    Don't believe anything i wrote said anything to the contrary. I simply don't buy the claims that he trashed cabins.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddmott View Post
    Don't believe anything i wrote said anything to the contrary. I simply don't buy the claims that he trashed cabins.
    I own a cabin...It has been "broke into"......That is trashing, a PITA to fix and the feeling that you are never safe.

Buy what you want....messing with my stuff in trashing, period.

I agree, as much as I envy the ability to do what he did I disapprove of his methods. First of all, if I were to "vanish" into the wilderness it would be with very different motivations and goals. From what I read he didn't even really know WHY he left civilization, he just did.
    It has been stated by people on here before that "survival" is pretty much pass/fail. It doesn't matter how much you do wrong, if you live then you've won! I would submit that this was not survival, at least not all the time. I would even struggle to call it primitive living since he had most of the comforts of a modern campsite. Except in winter, he didn't really have much to deal with in "survival" terms. His modus operandi was flawed and he technically could have left at any time. He wasn't lost and didn't have any desire for "primitive living" or building his survival skills. No hunting, trapping, fire building or any of the other hundred skills that we generally consider very important. He basically just lived off the lifestyle of OTHER people. The most amazing feat I see was the fact that he survived all the winters, but in reality, there were early settlers and native Americans who have done this long before us. The solitude would be hard for most of is but some evidence shows he was already socially inept even before he went out into the wilds. I would hesitate to call this a survival story. A test of mental strength maybe.
    If I were to do something similar I would want to be as self sufficient as possible, as difficult as that may be. My goals would be to learn to live by my own skills and beat nature at her favorite activity, that being killing humans. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy too?
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Trashing; a) the act of throwing away or discarding rubish
    b) to wreck or destroy, to reduce to trash, wreckage or ruins

So... really? Someone popping your doorknob (a $10 fix and about 20 mins if you're not very able) or busting a window pane ($20-? for a single pane, $70-?? for dual pane) "trashed" your cabin? They made it completely valueless and unlivable?

I've had my cottage, my fish hut and my sugar house all broken into. One - the fish hut - was "trashed". The basturds rammed it with a 4x4 and blew out 2 walls, "reduced to wreckage or ruins". The cottage and sugar house... all fine after very minor repairs.

Not gonna argue details, and those are just details........But yes, that's trashing to me and would think most people....except maybe your self.
    I respect you opinion, and do not agree.

Now if it was a truly survival reason, stranded, starving, gonna die with out shelter....Not a problem.......That was not the case.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Oddmott View Post
    Trashing; a) the act of throwing away or discarding rubish
    b) to wreck or destroy, to reduce to trash, wreckage or ruins

So... really? Someone popping your doorknob (a $10 fix and about 20 mins if you're not very able) or busting a window pane ($20-? for a single pane, $70-?? for dual pane) "trashed" your cabin? They made it completely valueless and unlivable?

I've had my cottage, my fish hut and my sugar house all broken into. One - the fish hut - was "trashed". The basturds rammed it with a 4x4 and blew out 2 walls, "reduced to wreckage or ruins". The cottage and sugar house... all fine after very minor repairs.

You are really pressing the point it seems!

Look at it this way; in Maine B&E (all by itself) is a class C crime punishable by imprisonment for 5 years. That is the penalty even if the structure is not "trashed".

So apparently the definition placed on this man's activities is illegal even if it meets your own approval.

This guy had committed 40 break-ins a year for 30 years X 5 years each,,,,,

So the man is either insane or a "habitual criminal" an I will leave it up to the state of Maine and a jury of his peers to decide which.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I expect diminished mental capacity. Either due to liquor, drugs or other substances in his past.

Unfortunately if you ask the guy he will tell you he is free. Is not responsible to anyone and comes and goes as he pleases. He probably believes it too. I used to work nights in a large city and most street people are like that too. While rummaging dumpsters and accepting handouts.

Theft is theft. If someone broke down in a snow storm and used my place I'd understand once they paid for the repairs and apologized for the damage.
    It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Not gonna argue details, and those are just details........But yes, that's trashing to me and would think most people....except maybe your self.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You are really pressing the point it seems!

Look at it this way; in Maine B&E (all by itself) is a class C crime punishable by imprisonment for 5 years.
    I've never stated that he didn't commit crimes, nor that he shouldn't receive a sentence.

I simply said i don't buy the hyperbole. Breaking a doorknob is NOT trashing a house. The hyperbole serves no purpose and benefits nobody.

If Maine is anything like New Brunswick buddy is probably taking some heat for the drunks on 4 wheelers and snowmobiles.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    Agree, I was well on my way until a women came along and way laid my plans LOL. I miss the isolation,the peace and quiet, yup with 5 kids, I miss the peace and quiet LOL. Now that the kids are growing up and going on their own, I miss them LOL.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I have always thought that if I do not have a family, I might have sold all my possession, get myself a bike or a truck, load up all my camping stuff and head out on a road tour. Of course you must have money stashed in the bank and you live as if you have none, making withdrawals on small amounts just to get you by ...Its sort of a Hobo life. But now, I can't do it...sigh.....so ..I have to wait for my weekends....hehehe
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!