Thread: Wisconsin: New to Foraging

Default Wisconsin: New to Foraging

Hi all, I'm new here and new to foraging. I'm in Milwaukee, WI. I'm currently reading a few foraging books and a neighbor showed me some plants in his garden that are common in urban areas here. Anyone else here from Wisconsin?

Also, wondering if anyone knows of any online plant databases that function like a field guide? I've been using book field guides, but I think I'm just too inexperienced. I tried to identify about 20 plants this weekend and the only one I was positive about was wild raspberry. Ideally I wish I could just post photos of stuff I've found and get help IDing them, but I know that can be annoying.

Thanks in advance, and I'm having a lot of fun poking through the forum and reading the helpful stickies.

Quote Originally Posted by cinemaphonic View Post
    Hi all, I'm new here and new to foraging. I'm in Milwaukee, WI. I'm currently reading a few foraging books and a neighbor showed me some plants in his garden that are common in urban areas here. Anyone else here from Wisconsin?

Also, wondering if anyone knows of any online plant databases that function like a field guide? I've been using book field guides, but I think I'm just too inexperienced. I tried to identify about 20 plants this weekend and the only one I was positive about was wild raspberry. Ideally I wish I could just post photos of stuff I've found and get help IDing them, but I know that can be annoying.

Thanks in advance, and I'm having a lot of fun poking through the forum and reading the helpful stickies.
    I'll make you a offer I wish someone would have given me when I started. I'm from Fenton,MI. If you want come up and I'll spend some time in the field with you, this is a good time of year for it. call me if interested 810-333-1830 theres camp grounds close by if your interested in camping while in the area. Been doing wild edibles and medicinal herbs for a few years alot of the time in the field not just looking at pics. I can also show you what to dehydrate for medicinal purposes. No one knows all the plants its a constant learning journey.
    Semper Paratus

Is there something like a Field Naturalist club in Milaukee? They might offer workshops in things like identifying wild food, and that could give you good, hands on experience.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.......from Kenosha., WI area....and have a Place in Crawford County S West Wisconsin.

Don't spend a lot of time foraging, but in season but do some.... Morel mushrooms, asparagus, raspberries, black berries, ...central Wisconsin, Blue berries.
    Collect rose hips for tea, and dig chicory for coffee extender/substitute.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

HI and welcome from Central WI; formerly lived on east side of Milwaukee, Tosa, Pewaukee, the Falls, downtown, Waukesha, you name it. Also lived 8 places in IL around Chicago.

GRAF what an incredibly generous offer of time and talent. We have a 2nd wedding reception for my DD#2 who just got married but if you run this "field trip" on edibles later in fall or next spring, DH and I would LOVE to come. And we'd bring beer and food for you!

DD#1 now lives in Ann Arbor and I used to travel to Bay City, Livonia, Lansing and Grand Rapids 4x month so love Michigan!
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

I think Graf's offer is outstanding! But I don't think I'd put my number on the open forum.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

S.G. offers open to you as well, I'm sure we all will learn from each other. RX regarding my phone number thanks for the concern but in this day and age a phone number is extremely easy to find on someone.
    Semper Paratus

I made these simple informative panels for beginners During college as a Ted Talk-esque presentation. Hopefully they could help you identify and give you ideas for recipes.

4Fic2a1.jpg
    b03xyXP.jpg
    mYC8P4U.jpg In season Now!
    qYH4HYP.jpg
    SaWCWqB.jpg In season Now!
    Last edited by TrueNord; 09-17-2014 at 06:03 PM.

continued...

1Iz10x9.jpg
    GIAY8Ih.jpg
    L4m8Ypj.jpg In season Now!
    dyioyoJ.jpg In season Now!
    yEG66uE.jpg In season Now!

Happy Harvesting!
    Last edited by TrueNord; 09-17-2014 at 06:02 PM.

I live in Waupun , im going to big bend state park by lake Geneva today foraging if your interested.

heres a couple of books i think they will help in your journey.
    petersons field guide medicinal plants and herbs(eastern central)
    making plant medicine by Richo cech at horizon herbpobox 69
    williams or,97544-0069
    ph,541-846-6704
    it is a book on making your own salves tinctures,poltices and so on.

hey coyote is popeye,s restaurant still there across from the boat dock? i used to go up that way on the weekends and to door county camping.