Thread: Opinel outdoor knife

Default Opinel outdoor knife

So, this evening I was looking for Mora knives on the Mountain Equipment Co-op webpage. While reading about something apparently called a "Light My Fire Swedish Fire Knife" and wondering if MEC has something more basic from mora, I happened to glance at the "customers who viewed this item also viewed" section. There, right at the top, was an "Opinel Number 8 Outdoor Knife", which has a brightly coloured composite handle, a blade with a mixed serrated and straight edge, and a built in shackle...retailing for 41 dollars.

Now, I own just a regular Opinel number 8. I love my opinel number 8. it's a great knife. Nothing wrong with it. And I admit, I'm kind of a stick in the mud when it comes to knives, I prefer a wood handle, I don't really like a whole lot of bells and whistles (which, incidentally, the one review says the knife has. A whistle. I assume it's there for a reason). So my immediate response is thinking that they took an opinel knife and removed everything I like about them. But that's just my knee jerk reaction.

now, there's a lot of people on this forum who like a good knife, I know I'm not the only Opinel lover on here. Has anybody ever tried one of these, and are they any good?

Looks like a purpose built survival knife.

Personally, remove that ridiculous blade hole and the serrations and I'd be alot happier with it.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Looks like a purpose built survival knife.

Personally, remove that ridiculous blade hole and the serrations and I'd be alot happier with it.
    Oh good, the blade hole seems silly to you too!

I'm perfectly happy with my run of the mill #8 Carbone Opie. Great price, sharpness, size, and it's a mean ferro rod striker to boot!

DomC
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Personally I would just get the regular opinel no 8 it's half the price and comes minus the serrations. I don't really see how the "Outdoor" version would be such an improvement so as to call for a price tag more than double that of the regular one for the cost of the outdoor version I could buy the regular one plus a much louder whistle and have money left.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have now officially lost all faith in Opinel.

Now that they have discovered thermo injected plastics the end is near!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
    Personally I would just get the regular opinel no 8 it's half the price and comes minus the serrations. I don't really see how the "Outdoor" version would be such an improvement so as to call for a price tag more than double that of the regular one for the cost of the outdoor version I could buy the regular one plus a much louder whistle and have money left.
    I've been using my run of the mill opinel as an outdoor knife for ages...and for any other things I might need a pocket knife for. This kind of feels like Opinel trying to milk the cash cow. Which I would be more on board with if the blade didn't have those serrations. how, exactly, does one sharpen that? 15 bucks gets you the good quality blade and no headaches with serration.

So looks like still a folder?....with plastic handle?

Have a couple of the wood handle folding #8's (I think?)....one is in my hunting fanny pack as back up to belt knife (folded and light).
    The other is in the canoe PSK........

I not a fan of serrations either.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've never been too crazy about Opinel knives, but even I don't like the look of the outdoor version! Opinel knives are not supposed to be one-handed opening, so why the hole? I'm sure they could build a whistle into a wooden handle if there was a market for such things.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Is this the one you guys speak of?
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/OP1...-closed-orange

I don't think it is all that bad. I think it has a lot of potential. All that needs to change is get rid of the blade hole, change to a wood handle, high carbon blade, and no serrations......perfect. Either that, or at least put a bell on it....sheesh.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

So you mean this one?
    opinel_no8.jpg

Opinel makes great knives, I have many traditional models and at some point I would like to try out the new "outdoor" model. I agree its a bit ugly, but it may be a near perfect pocket knife for wade fishing, or similar activities. (I'll admit my normal #8 has been underwater wade fishing rivers a few times)

I like the look and feel of classic wood but there is a place for a plastic version I think, even if its just stuffed in a kit some where never used.

I'll add that after refinishing the wood (sanding down a bit and staining/sealing) i have had no issues with swelling handles, even being fully submerged in the river. For little money you get a classy pocket knife that can take a lot of abuse.