Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mora Knife

Default Mora Knife

Just looking for opinions on the Mora Knife, they look like a good knife and have a good price. Anyone have any opinion on the best model for Moderate bush craft use, also looking at the Mora Fire Knife as a backup to my ferro rods.

I have a couple of the robust models but haven't used them yet. Otherwise the clipper in carbon steel is my favorite.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

OH!

A Mora thread!

OK I'll go too,

I love my Mora!

Now will the next 1,000 people please remain in line and take your turn.

If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

They work just fine. Nice bang for the buck.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

If you had to ask then you obviously have NOT been studying the forum...or just just pulling our leg. There is so much "Pro-Mora" posts on here it'll make your head spin. I have two, the best being the Mora 2000. One of our members who is an Alaskan guide quartered a moose with one! Cody Lundin carries a Mora as does Mors Korchanski. Creek Stewart hands them out to his students prior to their taking his course. A very large percentage of this forum have them and love them! Next question?...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Which mora is best? The one you can get your hands on soonest!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
    Which mora is best? The one you can get your hands on soonest!
    Now they are all good but there are some that I like to use more than others!

I like the Classic laminated 4" w/wooden handles best, closely followed by the old 510 that is no longer made.

All others just fall into the generic Mora is OK category.

Back in the pre-2012 period I did purchase a case of Clippers when SMKW put them on sale for $5.99 w/free shipping. I have been giving them out as spare knives and loaners while reserving enough to equip a gaggle of geese if necessary.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    OH!

A Mora thread!

OK I'll go too,

I love my Mora!

Now will the next 1,000 people please remain in line and take your turn.

Please, tell me mora about these knives!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I like the Mora 2000 as well, rides in my hunting vest.
    I like the ones with the fire steel in the handle...Don't recall the number at the moment..........kinda gimmicky, but low buck, they ride in all the vehicles.
    I really like my old Mora's...... mine from about 1963,....and MF's I think 1950's late....and FIL's for a bit earlier....Maybe?
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Mora 2000 and the Companion heavy-duty MG.
    Both good knives.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Great thing about them they perform well, and if you do misplace one not alot of $ down the drain. I use one in the kitchen everyday as well. I prefer the carbon steel over the stainless.
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Now they are all good but there are some that I like to use more than others!

I like the Classic laminated 4" w/wooden handles best, closely followed by the old 510 that is no longer made.

All others just fall into the generic Mora is OK category.

Back in the pre-2012 period I did purchase a case of Clippers when SMKW put them on sale for $5.99 w/free shipping. I have been giving them out as spare knives and loaners while reserving enough to equip a gaggle of geese if necessary.
    FYI Mora has 're-introduced the 510 in black...MORAKNIV knives are like potato chips, hard to eat only one. I own three myself...

DomC
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

So, quick question...if a person were looking at picking up a Mora, and preferred wooden handles, and had big hands and wanted a knife to fit, what would be a good model? My current go-to belt knife is a DH Russell Original, which is a great knife, I've got no complaints, but it has sentimental value, so a good knife with less emotional currency might be a good investment.

Default Mora Knife

So I'll be honest and say I dont personally own a Mora knife, but I've only ever heard good things. Been kicking around the idea of picking one up myself.
    Last edited by alaskabushman; 08-19-2014 at 11:23 AM.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by tundrabadger View Post
    So, quick question...if a person were looking at picking up a Mora, and preferred wooden handles, and had big hands and wanted a knife to fit, what would be a good model? My current go-to belt knife is a DH Russell Original, which is a great knife, I've got no complaints, but it has sentimental value, so a good knife with less emotional currency might be a good investment.
    The wooden handled Mora's are not necessarily for larger hands. They may be comfortable to you, but comfort is very subjective. You can always re-handle one with a larger handle. Here's one I modified a while back.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is a nice bit of work, there!

Moras are cheap, have plastic sheaths, look like toys, cost pennies compared to others etc etc. I love them and own 6 or 7 my favorite being the Bushcraft.

1 Clipper carbon steel
    2 Clippers in stainless steel
    1 #2 CLassic
    1 Bushcraft
    1 High Q Robust
    1 2000

Don't buy them, they are addictive !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Forgot to mention the pair of 780s I bought years ago. They are parts of various kits and not what I would use for EDC, but they would be fine for that.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Hi, I own a few and I am from Malaysia. I do not think anyone should be able to recommend a knife that would suit you as different people prefer different weight, different ways of handling the knife, different strokes or angle when cutting or slicing. The best would be is to go to a store, handle a few of them and make your choice. Try it out first and get the feel of the hang of it.
    Like me and a few of my buddies, we like different MORAs and and one of them preferred the cheap Tramontina..which is also my 2nd preference.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Showing my ignorance but anyone have practical experience with kukri knives. Wonder how they perform as utility, light chopping tools compared to a combat or smaller Bowie knife. I am sure they have various sizes. Any recommendation on size for camping/hiking. Not looking for a zombie killer.
    It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life.