Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had to put her down

Default Had to put her down

Yesterday my dog was crying and crying and crying like she was in a lot of pain. Her stomach was also bloated. We took her to the vet and got the bad news that her stomach turned. It would take surgery, and the chances of that even working were very small. I opted to put her out of her pain. I didn't think I would get as emotional as I did. She will be missed.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Aw, man, really sorry to hear that.....But I'm sure you did the right thing....many people keep pets alive to them....not the pet.
    If they are in that much pain, and chances are slim....it's time.

Time will heal....but it is tough......sorry.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I am so sorry. Mine are family members too. All dogs do go to heaven.
    It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life.

Sorry for your loss. I too think you made the right decision.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm really sorry to hear that My sincere condolences. I know it doesn't help right now, but that was the kindest thing to do.

So sorry for your loss, I prefer four legged friends more than 2 legged. Never easy but memorys live on forever!
    Semper Paratus

Sorry for your loss!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I have felt your pain. My thoughts are with you.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

You did the right thing although you may not believe it. Hang in there...pets are family. Please accept my condolences

DomC
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Blog Entries

It's a tough decision to, sorry you had to make it.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Sorry for your loss FM. I know how you feel it has taken me 13 yrs to finally replace my GSD after a similar experience. I knew horses could "twist a gut", but I didn't know of it in dogs.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

That's an awful experience, so sorry for your loss. I still mourn for my cat 3 years later even with a new one at home. They are like children.

Sorry for your loss.
    I had never heard of this in dogs either. Posting it here may save a life someday.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

So sorry for your loss. I too have had to make that decision more times than I care to remember but we have to do what is best for our fur family members. It is true time helps but they live on in our hearts.

I also am very sad to hear about your loss, finallyME. The problem of gastric torsion/bloat is very acute when it happens and even immediate, heroic veterinary intervention is usually unsuccessful. Thus I agree you made the right decision, especially since the post-surgery effects are nearly as painful as the original condition, with less than a 50/50 chance of ultimate success. To observe a dog in the acute distress of bloat will indeed break your heart. It is very unlikely that this was your fault or that you could have changed the outcome.

For those new to this problem, the causes of gastric torsion in dogs are not well understood in the veterinary field (barring recent discoveries of which I am not aware), but the condition is not uncommon. The risk seems to be greater for large breeds (e.g., St Bernards, Great Danes) and very active breeds (e.g., German shepherds, retrievers), although no breed is known to be “immune” from it. This condition can happen to a dog which is otherwise in perfect health and there is no external symptomatology by which it can be diagnosed by the owner until the problem is already very grave. Symptoms include acutely distended stomach, extreme pain, and unsuccessful attempts to regurgitate or defecate.
    If you suspect an animal has gastric torsion/bloat, it is a "drop everything" situation. Call the vet and describe the problem as "possible bloat" and get moving. The vet will (should) clear everything and be prepping for possible surgery while you are on your way to the office.

Proactive steps to decrease the chances of the condition involve feeding in small portions several times during the day as opposed to one big meal, and waiting an hour after eating before engaging in strenuous activity (like what our mothers used to say about swimming in the lake after lunch). This can be easier said than done, depending on the particular dog.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Oh so sorry to hear that FM. So sad. Yes, it's fairly common in sled dogs, mostly running them too soon after eating. Sad, sad, day.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Sam View Post
    I also am very sad to hear about your loss, finallyME. The problem of gastric torsion/bloat is very acute when it happens and even immediate, heroic veterinary intervention is usually unsuccessful. Thus I agree you made the right decision, especially since the post-surgery effects are nearly as painful as the original condition, with less than a 50/50 chance of ultimate success. To observe a dog in the acute distress of bloat will indeed break your heart. It is very unlikely that this was your fault or that you could have changed the outcome.

For those new to this problem, the causes of gastric torsion in dogs are not well understood in the veterinary field (barring recent discoveries of which I am not aware), but the condition is not uncommon. The risk seems to be greater for large breeds (e.g., St Bernards, Great Danes) and very active breeds (e.g., German shepherds, retrievers), although no breed is known to be “immune” from it. This condition can happen to a dog which is otherwise in perfect health and there is no external symptomatology by which it can be diagnosed by the owner until the problem is already very grave. Symptoms include acutely distended stomach, extreme pain, and unsuccessful attempts to regurgitate or defecate.
    If you suspect an animal has gastric torsion/bloat, it is a "drop everything" situation. Call the vet and describe the problem as "possible bloat" and get moving. The vet will (should) clear everything and be prepping for possible surgery while you are on your way to the office.

Proactive steps to decrease the chances of the condition involve feeding in small portions several times during the day as opposed to one big meal, and waiting an hour after eating before engaging in strenuous activity (like what our mothers used to say about swimming in the lake after lunch). This can be easier said than done, depending on the particular dog.

Good information, thanks....bloat took the dog I had in high school. I've always been concerned I would see it happen again. Upside, he was about 12 at the time, which isn't bad for a golden, but still. Next time I have a large breed, hopefully I will be able to do the small portions and so forth.

I have a cat that gorges (with cats, they just get fat) and found that getting one of those Slow Feeder bowls that has the raised "fingers" in the middle makes him slow down. They have those for dogs too. All the three dogs I've lived with over the years were small but I'm wondering if this is what killed my friend's big Bouvier.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

our property is in or about crater lake,oregon

i am so sorry about your dog.

So very very sorry for your loss. Sunset Sam thanks for info.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15