Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Tinder

Banned

Default The Best Tinder

It can take some time making tinder for a fire. My brother found an easy solution to that. All you need is toilet paper. I recommend the cheapest out there. No, I am not going to tell you to burn toilet paper because that will last as long as your match does. By leaving toilet paper outside allowing it to get rained on and dried, somehow it makes the toilet paper burn forever! Leave it out there for just 2-5 days. When me and my brother do it, about 3-5 sheets last us for about 10-20 minutes.
    Last edited by Mason; 08-14-2014 at 10:54 AM.

What happens when it gets wet?
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    It can take some time making tinder for a fire. My brother found an easy solution to that. All you need is toilet paper. I recommend the cheapest out there. No, I am not going to tell you to burn toilet paper because that will last as long as your match does. By leaving toilet paper outside allowing it to get rained on and dried, somehow it makes the toilet paper burn forever! Leave it out there for just 2-5 days. When me and my brother do it, about 3-5 sheets last us for about 30-60 minutes.
    The word "best" is vastly overused.
    In this case it may have been the "best" at the time.

I have used TP shredded up with Carmex lip balm rubbed on it to catch a spark and get a pile if tinder going....much like a cotton ball w/PJ......

It's good to know as many different things that can be used for tinder as possible....and any one may be the "Best" at the time and place.

Nowe if all you have is TP and you need to take a dump....or start a fire......What's it gonna be?

Lot of kinds of TP also kinda melts when it get wet......and goes back into a kind of pulp....which may be why it lasted longer for you.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Dryer sheets work well also and take up very little room, multipurpose wear on your hat or around your neck and helps reduce/eliminate mosquitos.
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    Dryer sheets work well also and take up very little room, multipurpose wear on your hat or around your neck and helps reduce/eliminate mosquitos.
    That does actually work pretty well........dryer sheets are how your wife marks her territory.....You know that right?

There are a lot of things that work for tinder. I would not and do not consider toilet paper to be one of them. It has a much more important function.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    That does actually work pretty well........dryer sheets are how your wife marks her territory.....You know that right?
    No wife to mark her territory.
    Semper Paratus

maybe used tp would work even better
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

Banned

I use banana leaves for buttwipe

Banned

Its tinder. Used to start a fire, not keep a fire going. As long as it is in a safe location, it shouldn't get wet. You only need the tinder to burn for about 30-120 seconds. This burns much longer. I really love it.

No banana leaves in Wisconsin......just a smooth stone.

Steel wool. Lights from batteries, matches, flint and steel, and fire rods. I have made fire starters with dried mulch and paraffin in a snuff can with a pad of steel wool and sealed with tape. Perfect inert starters that will last longer than me.
    It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life.

3 sheets of TP burning for 30 min, Id honestly like to see that on youtube... Unedited.

Ill stick to cotton balls, char cloth and fatwood (and for real emergency must have fire, road flare) for my fire starting until something else proves better.

EB

Cotton balls soaked (don't know the right word) in petroluem jelly...starts even if its wet..
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    No banana leaves in Wisconsin......just a smooth stone.
    Mullein leaves makem gud TP !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I see the OP is from Florida. There are many good TINDERS found naturally out in the scrub here. Saw Palmetto grows abundantly and the brown fibrous material found at the base of the fronds is a very good TINDER. Some people call it monkey fur/hair. Fatwood can found just about everywhere here and it is an excellent accelerant. Why would you use toilet paper as a "go to TINDER" and refer to it as the "best". It's an alternative TINDER but to say it's the best is being subjective. Subjectivity is relating to the way a person experiences things in his or her own mind and based on feelings or opinions rather than facts.
    30-60 minute burn time with 3 sheets of tp is ridiculousness...

DomC
    Last edited by DomC; 08-14-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

The best tinder I have found isn't tinder. I carry a bag of arounf 8 tea candles in my backpack for those rainy wet times. A tea candle will burn for a solid hour if you can keep the wind off of it, and will actually dry out leaves and foraged tinder where it will start burning.
    During dry times nature always supplys lots of natural tinder almost anywhere you go if you know where to look!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Mullein leaves makem gud TP !
    I actually have used these....but found that if dried....as in "save some for later"...the get kinda crumbly......if you know what I mean.

Have a lot growing in the driveway and around the shed at the place.

Banned

I would say 5 sheets lasts you 10 minutes. @domc @elevenbravo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DomC View Post
    I see the OP is from Florida. There are many good TINDERS found naturally out in the scrub here. Saw Palmetto grows abundantly and the brown fibrous material found at the base of the fronds is a very good TINDER. Some people call it monkey fur/hair. Fatwood can found just about everywhere here and it is an excellent accelerant. Why would you use toilet paper as a "go to TINDER" and refer to it as the "best". It's an alternative TINDER but to say it's the best is being subjective. Subjectivity is relating to the way a person experiences things in his or her own mind and based on feelings or opinions rather than facts.
    30-60 minute burn time with 3 sheets of tp is ridiculousness...

DomC
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    3 sheets of TP burning for 30 min, Id honestly like to see that on youtube... Unedited.

Ill stick to cotton balls, char cloth and fatwood (and for real emergency must have fire, road flare) for my fire starting until something else proves better.

EB
    5 sheets is about 10 minutes burn time.