Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Best Tinder

Banned

what was deleted

Batch...about the coconut husks...you will need to use ripe coconuts...the brown ones..and not the green ones..the green ones are what we call young coconuts...the ripe ones are brown. after removing the husks, u will get to the seed (the inner shell which u can use as acup or a container.)where you break up and grate the flesh to make coconut milk (which is widely used here in making curry and other meals).
    Leave the husks to dry for a couple days and they make good tinder...its fiber like..almost similar to jute...I will try to get some photos soon.
    The young coconuts (green) are what we drink the water from. Its a good isotonic drink and a life savior...(i mean water from the green coconuts).
    Again, the ripe(brown) are what we get coconut milk from.

Where I leave, there 's lots of coconuts especially on the shore.

The leaves can be used to tatch roofs or walls and the stems holding the leaves can be used to make roof rafters of a survival hootch.
    The young fruits have a good supply of water and the flesh is edible.
    Do not drink from a ripe fruit as it might give you an upset stomach.
    the husks can be used as tinder or twined as rope..it is almost similar to jute.
    A young coconut tree...which is about 4 to 5 feet in height, can be chopped down to get the tender piece in the bottom of the trunk. Be sure to dig about a foot below ground and cut the young tree there. Remove the ovrlapping skins till you get to the middle...there will be about 1 to 2 feet of tender stem that is equivalent to a plate of rice.
    The spine in the middle of the leaves..can used for bbq small cut pieces of meat (like satay)..or be accumulated to make a broom...google "penyapu lidi"..and u will see under images.
    Actually the coconut tree is a very household item..lots of uses...couple ripe coconuts together in a net..abnd u have a floatation device.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Well I see this thread turned into romper room.
    Semper Paratus

Sorry man...I got carried away..maybe due to the storm taht put my hike off....
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Graf View Post
    Well I see this thread turned into romper room.
    Yeah, too bad the romper had an attitude......as sometimes it kinda cool to see the world thru 13 year old eyes and mind.

Then again, I don't feel like putting up with the BS that sometimes come with it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

and I tot Graf was addressing me...? Ohhh my english....!!!!!!

So did Mason get banned or just took some fatherly advice to heart? Sounded like he really needs some field time with varied role models. I know being around other kids Dads as well as my own taught me different ways to deal with criticism, both good and bad.
    It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life.

He got banned mostly for profanity, I suspect.......several of his post that contained those rants were apparently deleted as well.

I agree with the need for a role model part.....but the way to get one isn't to cuss them out.

Raised mu own kids, and have spent time with many others as mentor.......but don't need the BS.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

He got banned because of his unwillingness to comply with forum rules as he so eloquently explained to me in response to my private messages to him.

We were all wrong - he was right - he don't take "stuff" from nobody.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Did you tell him to go sign up at the survivalistboards? He would fit in there.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    Batch...about the coconut husks...you will need to use ripe coconuts...the brown ones..and not the green ones..the green ones are what we call young coconuts...the ripe ones are brown. after removing the husks, u will get to the seed (the inner shell which u can use as acup or a container.)where you break up and grate the flesh to make coconut milk (which is widely used here in making curry and other meals).
    Leave the husks to dry for a couple days and they make good tinder...its fiber like..almost similar to jute...I will try to get some photos soon.
    The young coconuts (green) are what we drink the water from. Its a good isotonic drink and a life savior...(i mean water from the green coconuts).
    Again, the ripe(brown) are what we get coconut milk from.

Where I leave, there 's lots of coconuts especially on the shore.

The leaves can be used to tatch roofs or walls and the stems holding the leaves can be used to make roof rafters of a survival hootch.
    The young fruits have a good supply of water and the flesh is edible.
    Do not drink from a ripe fruit as it might give you an upset stomach.
    the husks can be used as tinder or twined as rope..it is almost similar to jute.
    A young coconut tree...which is about 4 to 5 feet in height, can be chopped down to get the tender piece in the bottom of the trunk. Be sure to dig about a foot below ground and cut the young tree there. Remove the ovrlapping skins till you get to the middle...there will be about 1 to 2 feet of tender stem that is equivalent to a plate of rice.
    The spine in the middle of the leaves..can used for bbq small cut pieces of meat (like satay)..or be accumulated to make a broom...google "penyapu lidi"..and u will see under images.
    Actually the coconut tree is a very household item..lots of uses...couple ripe coconuts together in a net..abnd u have a floatation device.
    I never get an upset stomach from drinking from ripe coconuts.

Most commercially grown palm hearts are coconut. Though we have several species that can be harvested for heart of palm. That is what we call that tender meat inside the small trees. Also if you cut the nut open after it has sprouted the coconut will be full of a soft spongy meat that can be sliced dried and toasted.

I use a pocket knife to open the green coconut. Just pry the part that was attached to the tree out and then cut a "bung" out. You can use that to close the whole after you drink your fill. The coconuts we get have more water than most people could hope to drink in one sitting. If you like the sludge that the meat is at this stage. You can slice a spoon off of the outer green husk and use that to scrape it out. I am not big on that though.

Here is my tree next to the avocado tree.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Avocados have been off the chain. But, they are starting to wind down. Every yard seems filled with fallen avacado and mango these past two months. I picked two large bags of avocados without taking more than three steps last weekend before heading out to go riding.

Some of the first coconuts to be purposely planted in Florida were from the ship wreck of the Providencia in the late 1878. A man named Bradley and a man named Hammond salvaged the wreck and sold the coconuts to residents of the near by barrier island. That island later was named Palm Beach. As the residents grew wealthier they had the "negroes" and servants move to the main land. They called this mainland Westpalmbeach. Flagler made them change it to separate words and you got West Palm Beach.

Great..you know about that. Its a great survival tree.

Default TP Tinder pic results

Okay had to try it incase I was missing something, granted Mason went about it wrong but I believe his results were right. First picture TP (6 sheets Scotts brand) is when I wetted it thoroughly last night. pictures have date and time on them time is not set to my clock but time delay is correct. Burned for 20 minutes like a slow burning char cloth.

Semper Paratus

Graf,

A good tinder must light easily by the method you will use. As well as burning hot enough and long enough to get your kindling hot enough to burn.

Does the dried toilet paper burn just burn slower and with less of a flame than off the roll toilet paper?

Will the dry TP light as easily as off the roll?

Will the dried TP still serve its primary purpose as well as it did before being soaked?

I know you were just running a test. But, since you did. What do you think?

A good tinder must light easily by the method you will use. As well as burning hot enough and long enough to get your kindling hot enough to burn.

As I said it burns equivalent to char cloth, yes it should ignite dry kindling as you blow on it.

Does the dried toilet paper burn just burn slower and with less of a flame than off the roll toilet paper?
    Much slower very little flame mostly none.

Will the dry TP light as easily as off the roll?
    The picture shows off th roll, as mentioned used 6 sheets.

Will the dried TP still serve its primary purpose as well as it did before being soaked?
    Yes as butt wipe,only difference I would see is burning time.

I know you were just running a test. But, since you did. What do you think?
    Semper Paratus

that-escalated-quickly-meme-gif-i15.jpg

Hmm... Didnt think it would go this way, over just a little bit of TP!

Blog Entries

Cool Wow!

What an immature young man! Okay, he may have been right about the TP being as good as char cloth, granted. But that doesn't justify all of the profanity and flaming that went along with it. If TP is as good as char cloth, cool, but that doesn't make it the "greater/greatest" tinder. And he's another one of those who want to leave society, that figures. Kid like that doesn't seem to want to get along with anybody. Besides, I know what the best tinder is........................GASOLINE!....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I disagree..gasoline is not the best tinder, I trust more towards alcohol...the reason is I hike and I do not carry gasoline, I only carry alcohol....

Hey Sarge, of course he is imature..he is 13 , trying to get along with the bold tough men...

Blog Entries

Cool It's like this....

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    I disagree..gasoline is not the best tinder, I trust more towards alcohol...the reason is I hike and I do not carry gasoline, I only carry alcohol....

Hey Sarge, of course he is imature..he is 13 , trying to get along with the bold tough men...
    1st, the "gasoline" line was a joke.

2nd, being 13 is no excuse, he stated that he respected his parents, remember? So what are they teaching him? At 13 ny son was always respectful of people, even those he didn't agree with or like very much; he continues to be that way today, in his 30s. He's an honor student? That's another slap against the public school system IMO....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sarge,....if I am the mod..I would have banned you too...hahahahah..
    I was only joking too about the gasoline and the alcohol........my two sons even though they are in college and University, and they are each 3rd Dan and 1st Dan black belters in Tae Kwon Do are still very respectful to me and also the public. They do not fight or argue and always have a cool head...I always believe lots of love and good upbringing is the root to good children

(I am trying to speak American here).