Thread: Bolsters - Solder? Pin? Both?

Default Bolsters - Solder? Pin? Both?

Hi all!

I'm just getting my feet wet with knife making and have a couple blanks ordered from Jantz. I have some wood picked out for scales and know what I'm going to use for the pins, but I am wondering if solder alone would be enough to hold the bolster to the knife blank or is a pin or two NEEDED to keep the bolster secured to the blank through the life of the knife? The reason I ask is that I don't have much experience drilling into steel (I work mostly with wood) and whenever I try, I always break bits. Therefore, if solder alone would suffice, that is what I'll do.

Speaking of solder, would plumbing solder or electronics type solder work for this?

Thanks a lot!

Kyle

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You need better bits!

Or softer steel.

If this is your first venture into knife making, and you have not yet mastered the art of drilling a hole in metal, perhaps you should choose designs that do not require a bolster, metal to metal fitting, or heating the blade and ruining the temper while soldering.

Most people's first knife attempts are on the simple side just to develop a learning curve.

And there are knife supply firms that offer blade blanks with all the holes predrilled, just to make things easier.

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=119
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-12-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Two individual bolsters soldered onto a knife will not work, let alone hold up. They must be pinned, not soldered. Now, if we are talking stick tang, soldering alone will work.

If you post a picture or describe in a little more detail what you are trying to accomplish we might be able to help more.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sorry if I was a bit unclear. The following picture is not my own, it is compliments of "blackfinger", another member here. I just saw this picture and this is about all I'm looking to do with the bolster (I think).image.jpg.
    Last edited by lazyMlazyK; 08-12-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Then - yep - they have to be pinned.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have to ask, you're using drill bits made for metal right? I haven't drilled through hardened steel, but I have had to 1" holes through steel I-beams, so I'm not sure how difficult it is to drill a small hole through 1/8-1/4 inch hardened steel, but it can't be all that much harder than drilling 1" hole through 1/2" steel.

Get a steel punch to set your starting point, a little oil, and then apply steady pressure, just enough that you're getting some action. It can be a slow process. Use clamp to hold your knife blank in place on a work bench as you drill.

If you are drilling through hardened steel you will need to either soften the steel or use carbide bits.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

if you are buying blanks from Jantz just buy them already drilled they will even send you the pins and bolster components. Just a thought.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Quote Originally Posted by randallss7 View Post
    if you are buying blanks from Jantz just buy them already drilled they will even send you the pins and bolster components. Just a thought.
    +1 on this.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel