Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wifi in the Woods

The day they start stretching out in "my" woods with celltowers, even WiFi is the day I move. No thank you.
    Ursäkta min Engelska

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Hajta, are you really in Sweden?

Sweden has the 4th largest usage of wifi in the world with 96% of the population connected wirelessly. The usage rate is much higher than in the U.S.

For less than $10 a month every person in Sweden can make their smartphone a wifi hot spot anywhere in the country, even in the woods, and apparently they do.

For every 100 people in Sweden there are 127 cell phones in use! That means that everyone has a phone and 1/4 of the population has more than one mobile phone subscription.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-15-2017 at 02:02 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Wow - now that we have the nay-sayers and dithering diehards, we have a consensus. Honest I do not care. Wifi has replaced news - weather - sports - polotics and clearly access to information. Do not be appalling, wifi is here it stay. honest nobody cares.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

The only thing local news has to offer any more is commercials. Give me WIFI anyday.

Rock and Roll is just a fad.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

TV may not catch on either.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm not crazy about smartphones (except for trail equipment) but, if for no other reason than helping rescuers to get to people....
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Actually, there are other reasons for me.

I often use rest stops on long hikes to call family and friends. It's about the only time me and my brother, Ron, ever talk.

And, now that I live well inside Denver (I think it's digesting me), I go on urban hikes and my cell phone helps me avoid wasting time wondering around looking at street signs.

I'm planning to do a "ghost hike" Friday and I'll be using my phone recorder for the first time to take notes.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I heard Stockholm is pretty dense, but that's a fifteen hour drive from here atleast. I don't like connectivity
    Ursäkta min Engelska

I would have no problem not having wifi in the woods, I rarely take my phone hiking, camping, hunting.
    Semper Paratus

Just remember, that phone could be a life saver for you or someone else should an accident happen. Even if you are unable to use it the fact that it pinged a cell tower will tell them the general vicinity you are in if you fail to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just remember, that phone could be a life saver for you or someone else should an accident happen. Even if you are unable to use it the fact that it pinged a cell tower will tell them the general vicinity you are in if you fail to return.
    Yeah. I learned my lesson on taking the phone along.
    Was duck hunting with a my hunting partner and nephew....

Both were always on the phone....instead of hunting.
    Next morning I made a big deal about "you gonna hunt or talk"...very annoying"
    Left the phones in the truck....

A couple of other hunters across from us... being clumsy and falling in pretty regular.....one guy started the motor and fell in...boat circling him and he's trying to stay out of the way....

That could have been bad as we couldn't call for help,... being 2 mile up in a flowage bay.

So, Yeah, may be a good idea....but please tell your wife you love her BEFORE we head out....or she with Text them every few minutes.
    Still annoying

Good points GPS never used in the woods stayed old school lensmatic compass and ranger beads. Just don't want to rely on technology. As for emergencys also a good point, but when I'm in the woods for whatever reason I prefer to rely on myself and deal with whatever/ however. I always leave a note where I'm at when I should return.
    Semper Paratus

I like taking things down to the lowest denominator. I learned friction fire. But, I like a lighter. I like cooking on an open fire. But, have some hitech grills. Most of my camping is zero amenities. One of the places we camp most often we lose cell coverage about 15 minutes after leaving the road. I would enjoy having cell service at least at camp. Which is about 35 minutes from the road. I would also by a VHF, but we are so flat and tree dense that you'd be stretching it to get 3 miles.

I guess I'm slightly conflicted. On the one hand I do go to the woods to get away from everything; my cell phone is a leash for me, and work always seems to try to yank it. Often I do short trips with my brother who seems to have his phone surgically attached to his hand. We'll be sitting by the campfire, me looking at the stars and him glued to Facebook. He's in his forties but acts like a teen with respect to phones, just has no concept of when it's appropriate. So it's nice to go somewhere without any cell service if he's coming along. Of course, a cell is a fantastic tool to have at times and it could save a life. Obviously I'm a big forum and internet guy but I find there's a time and a place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I guess I'm slightly conflicted. On the one hand I do go to the woods to get away from everything; my cell phone is a leash for me, and work always seems to try to yank it. Often I do short trips with my brother who seems to have his phone surgically attached to his hand. We'll be sitting by the campfire, me looking at the stars and him glued to Facebook. He's in his forties but acts like a teen with respect to phones, just has no concept of when it's appropriate. So it's nice to go somewhere without any cell service if he's coming along. Of course, a cell is a fantastic tool to have at times and it could save a life. Obviously I'm a big forum and internet guy but I find there's a time and a place for it.
    That's pretty much the way I look at it as well.......Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    "Well spoken, sir."

P.S. A virtual cookie for whoever can identify the source of the quote.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

I know. Yer just tryin' to get me to use this Internet browser more'n I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeePettimore View Post
    "Well spoken, sir."

P.S. A virtual cookie for whoever can identify the source of the quote.
    ......"Anonymous".....This guy is pretty smart, ...knows a lot of stuff......