Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Metric Madness Mysteriously Multiplied

A cubit is $4.95 around here. Your mileage may vary.

Righttttt..........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

We usually store the cubits, next to the roundbits. We don't want them to think people don't like them because they are squares......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    A cubit is $4.95 around here. Your mileage may vary.

But are you figuring you mileage in Imperial gallons, US gallons or Km per liter?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    But are you figuring you mileage in Imperial gallons, US gallons or Km per liter?
    It is in hectares per nanosecond. Which numbering system is based on the width of the hair on a gnats tush. It being a fundamental unit in the universe!!!

It is all silly. Just pick a system for us all and move on humans are more adaptable than they think we are. Grumpy old farts like me will always complain no matter what units of measure are used. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life.

It should be easier today to understand the two systems, as many product labels list the amount of an item in both metric and USA customary. Unfortunately, many people do not read labels. Unfortunately, many people have never learned to read much of anything.
    Faiaoga (misfit schoolteacher)

Quote Originally Posted by Faiaoga View Post
    It should be easier today to understand the two systems, as many product labels list the amount of an item in both metric and USA customary. Unfortunately, many people do not read labels. Unfortunately, many people have never learned to read much of anything.
    Faiaoga (misfit schoolteacher)
    Just as an experiment I would like to see a Lays Potato Chip bag....list serving size......"One Chip", or as some products say...."One Crisp".....and offer a free bag to anyone the reads it, understands, and calls in.....LOL

BTW "One Chip" is really a chip of potato...."One Crisp"....is created by a process.

I do read labels.....and have to ask and question many things......never used to till a friend says while I was eating a ...Healthy yogurt....."That thing has more calories than a can of beer.......I'll save my daily allotment for the beer"....and he was right.

Just as an experiment, check with local young people of your acquaintance if they can convert 5 feet 5 inches to inches. The biggest problem I have encountered is getting students to think clearly about what measurements mean and to use the correct units for different types of measurements.

Converting from 65 inches to centimeters is relatively easy, but somehow we have failed to have students understand that 5 feet 5 inches is 65 inches......."Is there an app for that?" Faiaoga (frustrated misfit schoolteacher)
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 09-07-2014 at 09:34 PM.

I would ask that question and they would say....Why?

An app? Everyone has the world's knowledge at their fingertips 24X7 and all they use it for is to look at cats playing the piano and argue with strangers. We are a weird animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    An app? Everyone has the world's knowledge at their fingertips 24X7 and all they use it for is to look at cats playing the piano and argue with strangers. We are a weird animal.
    Now That would make a great signature.......

There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, and those who have been to the moon.

old joke.

Aye, it's on page one of this thread, but I think it needs to be remembered that NASA blew up two space shuttles, also, over problems they knew existed. C-rings and foam insulation. Also, the Russians beat us into space (with Sputnik). We have some braggin' rights, but I don't think we need to inflate our own ego too much.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Heck, I was living in the clouds before sputnik.