Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting A Survival School? Whats Needed? How to Go About It?

Welcome and see the link in post 2.

If I wasn't so tired I would start a survival school. Maybe tomorrow....

The first thing we would do in my survival school would be to build an Air Conditioner...

Alan

You may be a candidate for the F.A.R.T.s

Thanks for the info. I am starting to develop in this direction.

I would suggest getting a hold of *******! He did this and now even has a book and classes to get you started in your own business! I have the book, btw, along with most of his survival books, but haven't taken the classes, which he just released via video this spring.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Rick; 06-02-2020 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Removed link

I removed your link. The OP posted six years ago so he's never going to see it anyway. Providing links to other survival sites is not really good form and is against the rules.

I'm starting a survival school tomorrow. I finally got electricity wired into the shop and tomorrow I'll hang lights and wire them myself. Since I view electricity as magic, I'm hoping to SURVIVE and not electrify the entire metal building. I feel fairly confident I can do this, have it actually work AND survive. If I don't post tomorrow night check the obits.

Alan

I think the real question is what is involved with starting a company in general. It may seem like being your own boss and starting up a business is easier then working for someone in that field. Some things you may not know

Steps needed:

1) need to get a lawyer
    a) coming up w/Company name: lawyer will do name searches to see if name is taken. Surprisingly, this can take some time to find a name not in use.
    b)lawyer will get you incorporated & supply you with your tax ID and company Seal
    2) need to get corporate insurance
    3) need to do advertising
    4) need to make business cards
    5) find a business location
    6) setup a telephone number
    7) put ads out for getting staff help (someone needs to answer the phones)
    8) need to get a tax consultant / accountant
    9) need to buy all the materials, gear, tools, etc for your line of work
    10)need to hire a webpage designer and setup your website
    11)need to hire a photographer to photo your location & staff for webpage & advertising
    12)need to open a bank account in company's name
    13) need to get medical insurance too

For the specific business of being a Survival Instructor, most states require you to pass a physical exam and have outdoor survival certification for you to be permitted to be a guide or survival instructor.

For those that think this is easy, running a company is a full time job, and that is just running the company and not doing the work that the company does. You spend a lot of time on the phone with accountants, lawyers, advertisers, customer support, the IRS, banks, web admins, and manufacturers that you buy from. I was a corporate consultant working with startup companies, doing all the ins and outs of running a company took as much work as doing the jobs i was hired for. Not to mention, it is very stressful running your own company, and I have to admit, not having a steady paycheck like you would if you were working for someone, makes life rather unpredictable financially

Honestly if I could have done it all over again differently, I am not sure if I would have ever gone to business for myself. Oh and btw, you are responsible for setting up your own retirement & health benefits, and a majority of businesses go bankrupt, another thing to consider...

That's one way. I incorporated myself and applied for my tax ID. A name search is rather straight forward. Help me out. First, you tell us you're a "Freelance Outdoor Gear Reviewer", then your "an electronic computer technician," and now your a "corporate consultant working with startup companies". Busy guy.

I started and ran a successful business for over 20 years. Never once contacted a lawyer for matters related to the business. I agree that there is a lot involved, but not quite the process that you describe (at least not for me).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

"For the specific business of being a Survival Instructor, most states require you to pass a physical exam and have outdoor survival certification for you to be permitted to be a guide or survival instructor."

Michael AKA Mac,
    Could you help me find the list of states that regulate "survival school instructors"? I also have not found any states, in the U.S., that require or legislate any rules about "passing a physical exam" to be an instructor. HELP
    Thank you in advance...
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Michael aka Mac View Post
    I think the real question is what is involved with starting a company in general. It may seem like being your own boss and starting up a business is easier then working for someone in that field. Some things you may not know

Steps needed:

1) need to get a lawyer
    a) coming up w/Company name: lawyer will do name searches to see if name is taken. Surprisingly, this can take some time to find a name not in use.
    b)lawyer will get you incorporated & supply you with your tax ID and company Seal
    2) need to get corporate insurance
    3) need to do advertising
    4) need to make business cards
    5) find a business location
    6) setup a telephone number
    7) put ads out for getting staff help (someone needs to answer the phones)
    8) need to get a tax consultant / accountant
    9) need to buy all the materials, gear, tools, etc for your line of work
    10)need to hire a webpage designer and setup your website
    11)need to hire a photographer to photo your location & staff for webpage & advertising
    12)need to open a bank account in company's name
    13) need to get medical insurance too

For the specific business of being a Survival Instructor, most states require you to pass a physical exam and have outdoor survival certification for you to be permitted to be a guide or survival instructor.

For those that think this is easy, running a company is a full time job, and that is just running the company and not doing the work that the company does. You spend a lot of time on the phone with accountants, lawyers, advertisers, customer support, the IRS, banks, web admins, and manufacturers that you buy from. I was a corporate consultant working with startup companies, doing all the ins and outs of running a company took as much work as doing the jobs i was hired for. Not to mention, it is very stressful running your own company, and I have to admit, not having a steady paycheck like you would if you were working for someone, makes life rather unpredictable financially

Honestly if I could have done it all over again differently, I am not sure if I would have ever gone to business for myself. Oh and btw, you are responsible for setting up your own retirement & health benefits, and a majority of businesses go bankrupt, another thing to consider...
    Add: Buy booths at Trade Shows that specialize in your area and work them with most of the above, e,g. business cards, displays with photos/videos of y0u training, etc. A company I worked for right after my Army retirement and I did those kinds of shows for three years. A while ago but it should still apply
    Last edited by Old GI; 02-10-2022 at 01:54 PM.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

DSJohnson: From what I have read, at least if i understood them correctly, many states require the same from an outdoor guide as they do an outdoor survival instructor, when I find the original website I will post that also but until then, these sites mention this for guides, just the wording was not updated for survival instructor.
    https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/30969.html
    https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/legal_pr...drstatemnt.pdf
    https://howtostartanllc.com/business...urvival-school

Add: Buy booths at Trade Shows that specialize in your area and work them with most of the above, e,g. business cards, displays with photos/videos of y0u training, etc. A company I worked for right after my Army retirement and I did those kinds of shows for three years. A while ago but it should still apply... written by OLD GI

Old GI that is probably one of the best ways to get business there is, not to mention a great way to do networking. Great idea, and good save...

Rick, I think I read somewhere that the average person ends up having 3-5 career changes in their lifetime. Think we can now add a couple career changes due to this pandemic.

The company I originally started was Consulting for startup & small size companies over 25 years ago. I would evaluate their company and introduce new technologies that could either increase their production or by saving them money by the new tech. I realized that a majority of the hands-on-portion of installing and implementing the equipment could be done by myself, since I had the technical background (engineering, computer programming, & electronic repair, and networking), so I decided to do the technical aspect of the job too. I later realized I could skip the middleman for acquiring the technology and got a wholesale license. In the end I ended up getting more then one paycheck, one for the consulting, one for implementation, sale of the technology, another for repairs and last for web and programming development or for teaching their employees how to use the new technology.

When the pandemic hit I started to do Freelance gear reviewing to not only pass the time, but out of enjoyment. Considering the lockdown, I am glad I did as it saved me from boredom. This didn't require me to be around people, and I could do my outdoor activities while testing the gear I was reviewing. Perfect job if you ask me.

But Rick, if that seemed like a lot, prior to starting my own company I was a professional Type setter for a printing press company, electrician internship, plumber internship, set designer/builder for professional play/musical theatres, and I also did roofing, fencing, brick laying, concrete, house painting, and one job using all the skills combined, building an extension to a house, on stilts, a bathroom. OH you can also throw in there tractor trailer mechanical & body repair ( spot welding, arc welding). There was also a couple of years that I was doing professional hookups for DJs, sound recording studios, and even Broadcasting Schools.

Rick, I had lived with my grandfather for several years, and other then the Type setting and set design for theatre, and audio/video hookups, he had taught me all the rest of the above professions. It is because of his teachings that I was able to get jobs and internships in the fields. He was a very smart handy guy, passed away couple of years ago. He owned a moving company w/warehouse and several real estate properties nearby and it seemed every week one of them needed a roof repair or a window or door replaced, electric or plumbing work done, new driveway or new fence, etc.. Kind of one of the main reasons i never invested in real estate, too much work lol

I am just glad I didn't go with my heart and become a chef. I love to cook, but the 80% fail rate over 5 years was just too risky, and not a stable way to support one's family.

Oh good Lord.

Go camping....in New York.

I used to be a Cowboy, well, actually I was a ranch hand, but I always put Cowboy on my resume. That way I didn't have to explain the spurs and the hat. Sometimes they asked about the boxers but mostly prospective employers just skipped any workplace dress code questions...

But what I really wanted to be was an engineer... you know the kind on a train. Looked like the easiest job in the world. It's not like you have to drive it, just hang out the window and blow the dang horn.

Alan

Yeah, I was a Cowboy for a few months. I wore blue jeans and tennis shoes. I had to burn them when I got another job.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.