Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two types of survival.

Blog Entries

Cool Two types of survival.

There are two different types of survival. This, I believe, is what "Dual Survival" was trying to show. There is the "military" type and the civilian type. Let's look, 1st, at what this means on the surface.

A.) Military type usually involves hiding out, camouflaging yourself so you're not spotted by hostile forces, and keeping a very low profile. Many military personnel go through S.E.R.E.(Survival, Escape, Resistance and Evasion.) school/training.

B.) Civilian type usually involves trying to be spotted by S. & R.(Search & Rescue) groups.

One does not usually cross over to the other. Military folks usually wear clothing compatible with their environment so they can blend in. They may be on the run from hostile forces.

Civilian folks generally want to be seen and should carry/wear bright colors like florescent orange. They may be on the run from hostile animals.

Something to keep in mind When studying survival methods....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

In addition to "wilderness survival" and these two divergent methods, there is also the consideration of urban/suburban/populated-rural area survival. Three other situations with different needs and styles.

We have just seen those needs demonstrated by the water issues in Toledo.

I often tell people that in my home state if "lost in the woods" one need only sit down and be quiet for a couple of minutes and you will hear the sound of traffic. Just walk to the sound of traffic and wait for assistance.

If you are in a place big enough to really get lost, in the eastern US, you are in a park or other dedicated wilderness area and building a smoky fire will bring quick reaction.

One of the irritations I had on the Application Trail was that at night I could hear the sound of traffic from most of the trail shelters.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-04-2014 at 04:09 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I believe in one kind of survival and that is doing whatever is needed to stay alive. If you are still alive at the end of your ordeal you have succeeded !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I believe in one kind of survival and that is doing whatever is needed to stay alive. If you are still alive at the end of your ordeal you have succeeded !
    I have to agree.......
    Military people are on "missions" and equipment needs to be mission orientated.
    Hunters hunt, and dress in cameo for animal concealment.
    Campers camp, canoe-ers, canoe and so forth.

Survival is what needs to happen when something goes terribly wrong and can happen anywhere....even in your house should something terrible happen.

I know what you are saying Sarge...referring to the many different styles of different participants on our favorite TV programs?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I want to survive, I want to be heard, I want to be seen, I want to be found. I want to make it home alive...or at least, the family to really see me and know what happened.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I like to move quietly and unoticed whenever possible, seems to bring lot's more opportunities for wild game hunting and watching. I can always find a way to be seen if thats what I want!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 08-06-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    In addition to "wilderness survival" and these two divergent methods, there is also the consideration of urban/suburban/populated-rural area survival. Three other situations with different needs and styles.

We have just seen those needs demonstrated by the water issues in Toledo.

I often tell people that in my home state if "lost in the woods" one need only sit down and be quiet for a couple of minutes and you will hear the sound of traffic. Just walk to the sound of traffic and wait for assistance.

If you are in a place big enough to really get lost, in the eastern US, you are in a park or other dedicated wilderness area and building a smoky fire will bring quick reaction.

One of the irritations I had on the Application Trail was that at night I could hear the sound of traffic from most of the trail shelters.
    What exactly is the "Application Trail" ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

That's where you can do the whole Appalachian Trail with aps on your smart phone....and not have to do the work.

Known as the AT, it's a 2200 mile hiking trail that stretches from Georgia to Main. There are a number of similar trails in the U.S. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-di..._United_States

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    What exactly is the "Application Trail" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    That's where you can do the whole Appalachian Trail with aps on your smart phone....and not have to do the work.
    Now that right there is funny. I don't care who you are.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I literally laughed out loud!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Zzzzzzzooooooommm. That's the sound of that exchange sailing past me. Missed it completely. Yeah, that's pretty funny.

Blog Entries

Mine was more of a whooooosh! but I got it eventually.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Auto correct strikes again!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Cool Sorta agree...

I have to agree.......
    Military people are on "missions" and equipment needs to be mission orientated.
    Hunters hunt, and dress in cameo for animal concealment.
    Campers camp, canoe-ers, canoe and so forth.

Survival is what needs to happen when something goes terribly wrong and can happen anywhere....even in your house should something terrible happen.

I know what you are saying Sarge...referring to the many different styles of different participants on our favorite TV programs?
    What I'm trying to say is that if you're a downed military flier behind enemy lines, for example, you probably won't be wearing bright orange. However if you're a deer hunter in Illinois, for example, you might want to be:

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...ckinsystem.pdf

Something like that....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I caught your drift.....some people need to be concealed, and some would rather be in bright colors for rescue mode......and be able to be picked out on the Go Pro for You-tube.
    My point is this really doesn't have anything to do with survival.....just your desired activity....then is something goes wrong in may be survival.

I think it been showing up in the newer people on the latest shows....and some of the guys on N&A....as in...
    She, "You don't have survival skills".
    He , "Sure I do, I shoot and get shot at....that's survival"....
    So, yeah different point of reference.

hehehehe.....hihihi....
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Blog Entries

Cool Yeah, kinda, sorta....

I caught your drift.....some people need to be concealed, and some would rather be in bright colors for rescue mode......and be able to be picked out on the Go Pro for You-tube.
    My point is this really doesn't have anything to do with survival.....just your desired activity....then is something goes wrong in may be survival.

I think it been showing up in the newer people on the latest shows....and some of the guys on N&A....as in...
    She, "You don't have survival skills".
    He , "Sure I do, I shoot and get shot at....that's survival"....
    So, yeah different point of reference.
    What I was trying to get at was that when you look at the military survival mindset it's different than the civilian one. The military is all about concealment starting with the BDU/ACU. While it's true that many civilians wear "Real Tree" type camo, it's for a whole different reason. They are usually hunters and outdoors people, and if everything goes South then they will try to be spotted anyway they can. S.E.R.E. is not in their agenda, even though some military survival methods might help them out....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

The more you know the better off you will be simply because no one can accurately predict if or when something bad will put them into a survival situation. A hunter lost in the woods has certain skills that are great but a hunter that goes down in a plane crash in route to a hunt in Africa, possible war zone or poaching area, will benefit from different skill set he thought he may never need

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    What I was trying to get at was that when you look at the military survival mindset it's different than the civilian one. The military is all about concealment starting with the BDU/ACU. While it's true that many civilians wear "Real Tree" type camo, it's for a whole different reason. They are usually hunters and outdoors people, and if everything goes South then they will try to be spotted anyway they can. S.E.R.E. is not in their agenda, even though some military survival methods might help them out....
    I disagree with this to an extent. For the narrow focus you are putting on "military survival" it may be true, but that is only one, very narrow aspect to it. Take for example the part of the military I was in. We hid and snuck around for a living, but if there was a casualty where rescue was needed, we employed everything we could to aid us in that. Several of the systems onboard were designed just for that purpose.

The SERE school school is intended for (but I imagine not exclusive to) personnel that will likely be in a position where they could be captured (aviators and air crew). In their case, survival is facilitated by avoiding whereas most other military survival training is facilitated by making yourself found.

Another confusing aspect, perpetuated by some of the TV shows is to mistake combat training for survival training.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel