Thread: Another one of those "File under Outrageous"

Default Another one of those "File under Outrageous"

Keep your kids glued to their video games otherwise you might face felony child endangerment charges:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5633803.html
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

What utter nonsense! I wonder what would happen to my parents today if I walked the eight blocks to the woods with a break action single shot shotgun slung over my should as I did at 12? Or the pack of us riding our bikes all over town like a bunch of purgatory anglels? I'll bet if someone could figure out how to package common sense they'd make a mint because it sure seems to be in short supply these days.

My mother once got a call at work. The caller said he had just seen me with a .22 rifle!!
    She told the guy to stay out of his way " that gun is more than likely LOADED"
    This would not go over well today.
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

I should be the next one to get in trouble for this Crap, I let my 8 year old walk down to the fishing pier by himself! he is also allowed to ride is bike three streets over to go to his friends house .
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I should be the next one to get in trouble for this Crap, I let my 8 year old walk down to the fishing pier by himself! he is also allowed to ride is bike three streets over to go to his friends house .
    Ya, well, I still have to ask my friends wife if he can come out a play.......

What a crock.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Ha, Hunter, I have a friend like that too. Gotta ask the wife. LOL. Sometimes it's worse. She says, "sure, but first you have to take all the trash in the garage to the dump." or "you have to clean up the yard first, company's coming tomorrow, and don't forget to stop and get charcoal on the way home."
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Ha, Hunter, I have a friend like that too. Gotta ask the wife. LOL. Sometimes it's worse. She says, "sure, but first you have to take all the trash in the garage to the dump." or "you have to clean up the yard first, company's coming tomorrow, and don't forget to stop and get charcoal on the way home."
    What?!?!?! That's not the norm for everybody?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I swear she waits for her husband's "buddy with a truck" to show up to think up those kind of things.

See "The Shortening Leash". Slate Magazine for August 14, 2014. Article by Jessica Grose and Hanna Rosen. Different generations of parents and different ideas about supervision of their children; legal restrictions are probably part of changing attitudes.

You know, by the standards of today...or at least some people's standards...it's a miracle any of us made it to adulthood! I used to run off and play in the woods with my friends when I was that age. Heck, when I was ten we were in what would become Nunavut a few years down the road, and I'd be off skiing by myself on the sea ice til I was, according to my mother, just a spot on the horizon. Or hiking off across the tundra with my friends, maybe doing a little fishing, maybe shooting somebody's .22. And here I am, a relatively healthy man in his 30's, not noticeably dead! The police don't have anything better to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What utter nonsense! I wonder what would happen to my parents today if I walked the eight blocks to the woods with a break action single shot shotgun slung over my should as I did at 12? Or the pack of us riding our bikes all over town like a bunch of purgatory anglels? I'll bet if someone could figure out how to package common sense they'd make a mint because it sure seems to be in short supply these days.
    Sounds like my mom, God rest her soul. One time an older boy kept riding past our house everyday shouting very foul words as he passed so one day mom was waiting on him. Grabbed his handlebars to stop him and gave him a piece of her mind. So he threatened to cut her with his knife and then I stepped out in front of him with my 410 and told him I would blow his head off if he tried. He jumped off the bike and took off running and mom lit into me for bring the gun out like that. That's when I told her I couldn't find where dad put my shells and she started laughing.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok... who has bail money? I'm taking my kids outside...
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Did you move in down the street from me? LOL.
    A new couple moved in, 3 young kids. They're always out laughing and screaming and having a great time in their backyard.
    Kinda forgot what that sounded like. It seems so very rare these days.
    Though I do have to say, the little girl screams like a child in distress. That high pitched noise that little girl in Aliens 2 made. Always makes me stop for a second and listen, wondering if the kid has done herself an injury. One of these days, I'll be able to ignore it. Crying wolf comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Did you move in down the street from me? LOL.
    A new couple moved in, 3 young kids. They're always out laughing and screaming and having a great time in their backyard.
    Kinda forgot what that sounded like. It seems so very rare these days.
    Though I do have to say, the little girl screams like a child in distress. That high pitched noise that little girl in Aliens 2 made. Always makes me stop for a second and listen, wondering if the kid has done herself an injury. One of these days, I'll be able to ignore it. Crying wolf comes to mind.
    Little girls standing on the corner screaming for no reason is normal.....we are on about the 3rd go around in our neighborhood.....DD and friends were one of the first group.

Yeah, they don't realize that it might not be a good idea........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I know many on here grew up in an era before me. Now that I have kids (4yo and 6yo), I do have certain fears for them. I don't let them even play in the front yard without an adult out there. I have my reasons for this. They range from the idiot drivers that go by my house to the house across the street that has illegal activities and continuous fights occurring. I don't coddle my kids, but I know they don't stand a chance against a rogue driver or an angry adult hopped up on who knows what kind of drugs. When they reach a few more years on them, I'll probably let them roam the neighborhood with groups.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

We have a family down the street from us, who is a friend of my brother. They have three or four young ones, 8-10 years old. I like seeing them ride their bikes racing up the street. We're in an older subdivision with few children. They seem to be well behaved kids, and very friendly, often stopping to talk and pet our dog.

I agree that times have changed, my children used to ride bikes down the hill to town, sure wouldn't want kids during that now. That hill is some 700 - 800 ft in height. I often wondered how long it took theme to get back up.

Bill
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

When my son was about two, I was home washing dishes while my wife was gone. I thought the door was closed securely but he somehow got out and I had no idea he was gone. I knew nothing abut his absence until I heard a knock on the door. Opening the door, I found an elderly Samoan woman (she did not speak English) holding him by the hand - a neighbor had seen him wandering around, recognized him and brought him home. Near our house, there was a steep cliff leading down to the ocean, there were trucks and cars driving along a nearby road, and there were large dogs in nearby yards. My son just looked up as if to say, "Hi, Daddy, I had fun exploring....."

It takes a village to raise a child is a trite expression but it can be true. A small town or neighborhood where people know one another is a safe environment for a child to grow up in. My opinion, at least.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 09-19-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: extra words