Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ID IT! (So what's this one called?)

Quote Originally Posted by doomed preppers View Post
    I'm only mean to fund the name of the plant. Not to see if it's edible, once you have name you can research it more yourself
    The point of this thread is though, that he does NOT want to do any research on his own, he wants information handed to him by posting a question and poorly taken pictures
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Leaf snap is one such app. for leaf identification. I have not used it. The mountains around were I live do not play nice with cell reception.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I have used Leaf Snap on my iPhone and it works sometimes. But, being in South Florida we have different trees than most of the US. So, I can't say how it will work in your area. I just tried to use it on a leaf that a guy brought in to work Friday. It wasn't able to find that tree. But, it brought up a bunch of others.

My version only allows location selection for New York, DC, and North East.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First one is hard to say. Need more pictures.
    The leaf on the second one is common around here. I think it's water oak.
    Third one is definitely a cypress. the fruits are a giveaway.
    The Audobon Society guide is pretty good, but only offers leaves and bark for picture identification. The details are in the back, so you can't go by picture alone. As gryff mentioned, there are a lot of details that need to be considered for proper identification and if you want to learn it, you'll want books to carry with you. When you spot an elm, you'll see what we mean
    Also, there are many good plant identification keys online that you should keep in mind.

being about the same latitude and similar growing conditions, we should have similar plants.

I am from Northeast Arkansas we have alot of the same trees that you have down there. The first tree judging by the leave and bark is an Elm.. second tree (YCC says water oak and maybe correct not saying they are not but)by the leaves and color and shape I am going to say a white oak...tough wood right there....the last one you are correct it is a bald cyprus. Just got a complete tree ID book for our backpack couple years ago, we like going out and looking at trees. Take care.
    Last edited by Awanita; 10-31-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I'm going to attempt to identify every interesting plant in my yard. I'll start with the trees. I have several huge yellow pines, those I'll skip. I live in south Louisiana in an area that frequently floods.

Attachment 10191
    These leaves are as big as my head. What's this one called?

Attachment 10192
    This one? Beech family right? Is it an oak? I know it's not a white oak or a live oak.

Attachment 10193
    Cypress right?

More to come. I have some other trees in my front yard. Plus some bushes, and a small "garden" in front of the front porch that the previous owner built but my wife hates. She wants to rip the whole thing up and start from scratch. Some azaleas and a few palms. But there's some interesting weeds sprouting up, and I see them all over the area too.
    The top one looks like a hickory, don't have a clue on the other 2
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp