Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID IT! (So what's this one called?)

Default ID IT! (So what's this one called?)

I'm going to attempt to identify every interesting plant in my yard. I'll start with the trees. I have several huge yellow pines, those I'll skip. I live in south Louisiana in an area that frequently floods.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406947622.109730.jpg
    These leaves are as big as my head. What's this one called?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406947679.126232.jpg
    This one? Beech family right? Is it an oak? I know it's not a white oak or a live oak.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406947770.775926.jpg
    Cypress right?

More to come. I have some other trees in my front yard. Plus some bushes, and a small "garden" in front of the front porch that the previous owner built but my wife hates. She wants to rip the whole thing up and start from scratch. Some azaleas and a few palms. But there's some interesting weeds sprouting up, and I see them all over the area too.

Nobody will help me out?

Not to sound rude, but have you tried to do any research on what they could be? maybe if you did an ID on it and how you came to the conclusion maybe someone would jump in and add their feedback. just a thought.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Is there a library near you? If so look at books of trees in your state I've done this. I went to a local book store (Barnes and Noble) and perused ... and last but not least, Google is your friend, ask him. Sorry to be blunt but that's what I would do...

DomC
    Last edited by DomC; 08-06-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Quote Originally Posted by DomC View Post
    Is there a library near you? If so look at books of trees in your state I've done this. I went to a local book store (Barnes and Noble) and perused ... and last but not least, Google is your friend, ask him. Sorry to be blunt but that's what I would do...

DomC
    You answers are right there with info given.....Not much.
    We don't know the land where you live, so we would take a bunch of time looking at trees on Google to compare to your thumbnails.
    I don't know about you, but when I click on a thumbnail...it's an extra step to get back to the thread.

So if some was to say......"Hey,..... I live in south Louisiana...and I have these trees in my yard, that I asked about locally (plug in source), and was told they were (plug in local answer)....here is the pic compared to what I found on Google....what do you think?"

You might do better on an answer....Maybe?
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-06-2014 at 08:16 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Nobody will help me out?
    It's not that I won't help you, but rather I can not help you from the pictures and location information that you have provided.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah I've done some reading and perusing on the web and in a few books, as well as on a foraging forum. I tried to get on there but they have a long and rather odd forum membership approval process and haven't reviewed my application yet. They have a whole forum section full of posts like this but they aren't bushcraft types. They're gardeners and plant nuts. Give them a decent picture or two and they can identify most of the stuff. For some plants they might have to ask a soil question or something like that. Was hoping a few of that type might be here. Guess not.
    Last edited by Josh; 08-06-2014 at 11:57 PM.

The pictures are too vague.
    Below are clues that can lead to a tree identification. Not all are necessary
    Leaf shape
    Texture top and bottom
    leaf configuration Opposite or alternate
    Leaf smooth edge or serrated, toothed, etc
    Number of leaves on leaflet and branch.
    geographic region, So. Louisiana
    Bark Texture.
    fruit structures
    Shape of the tree
    Leaf size. (the size of joshes head does not appear in any of the references I have seen).

When I have difficulty identifying plants and trees. My local Extension office has always been there to help me.

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/our_offices/

Top is possible a Magnolia variety. There is too much distraction from other leaves.
    Middle, You may be correct. I don't know There is too much distraction with all the leaved the construction of individual leaves is impossible to see,

Bottom may be a Cyprus as you have stated.

With these suggestions, as well as you own and the wonderful world of Google Images, you are the most qualified person to make the ID. You have the plant full size and it is most likely growing in focus. There are a number of tree and plant interactive identification tools to help you. With a better picture I would be doing the same and have done so to come up with the same possibles.

Good luck.
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 08-07-2014 at 01:35 AM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Pull a few leaves and take them to your country agricultural agent.

That or get us better pictures.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You know, there's a lot of sarcastic comments going on here. I asked a couple of simple questions. I sent these same identical pictures somewhere else and got some quick answers after answering a couple more inquiries, and without being talked down to.

If I wanted to do a bunch of google research or contact a parish agriculture official then I wouldn't have bothered making a thread asking about it. I would have done all the research myself and never said a word. I can count leaves, look at pictures and make phone calls like every other human being.

I assumed that this forum would be like most of the other places I post where asking open ended questions leads to discussions and teachable moments, not comments about the size of my head being a non-standard form of measurement. I've had a teachable moment here alright. Don't ask a question on this forum unless you already know the answer.

Thanks for all of your indispensable advice. I won't bother your lofty intellects with any more trivial queries.

P.S. Thanks to the couple of people who did give some useful advice.
    Last edited by Josh; 08-07-2014 at 06:54 PM.

You know, there's a lot of sarcastic comments going on here. I asked a couple of simple questions. I sent these same identical pictures somewhere else and got some quick answers after answering a couple more inquiries, and without being talked down to.

If I wanted to do a bunch of google research or contact a parish agriculture official then I wouldn't have bothered making a thread asking about it. I would have done all the research myself and never said a word. I can count leaves, look at pictures and make phone calls like every other human being.

I assumed that this forum would be like most of the other places I post where asking open ended questions leads to discussions and teachable moments, not comments about the size of my head being a non-standard form of measurement. I've had a teachable moment here alright. Don't ask a question on this forum unless you already know the answer.

Thanks for all of your indispensable advice. I won't bother your lofty intellects with any more trivial queries.

Okay, I'll play..... Instead of titling your thread "ID IT!" perhaps you should title it "IDIOT". That is what an individual could be called when joining a place and almost immediately throwing a tantrum because they don't like the way things are. People here don't mind helping others out, but they do expect them to have due diligence in trying things out themselves. I know that sounds like work (it is), but life kinda calls for that everywhere. Good luck.....
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Sarcasm? Seriously?

DomC
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

And, of course, those answers you received elsewhere are correct.....based only on the picture of some vague leaves. Okay. If you truly are interested in learning all of the plants in your yard then you have to do the research yourself. That's how you learn. Someone pointing something out and telling you what it is doesn't teach you nearly as well as researching it yourself and studying not only the leaves but the the branches, bark, flowers, fruit and roots if possible. So good luck in your search however your last post tells me you really don't want to learn you just want someone to tell you.

The whole premise in wilderness survival is self sufficiency and doin' for your self......

Your smart phone will only work till the batteries go dead...then you will have to know it on your own, with no one around to tell you how, what when ,where.

So I have no problem wishing you luck....and feel sad that you don't care to help yourself.

Have a nice day.

Seriously Josh? I don't think there were sarcastic comments. I suppose, as was stated, you wanted it NOW without doing anything on your end. That ain't learning. Good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Never mind...

This will make it better
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Nooooooo.....Not the Green Anaconda song......ahhhhh.

Again I didn't read all the posts on here but a guy I work with told me about an app you can get for your phone where you use your camera to take a picture and it tells you the name of the plant..... sorry I don't know what it's called nor have i ever used it but, it mote help

Quote Originally Posted by doomed preppers View Post
    an app you can get for your phone where you use your camera to take a picture and it tells you the name of the plant.....
    That sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I'm only mean to fund the name of the plant. Not to see if it's edible, once you have name you can research it more yourself