Thread: Veteran Bill Passes Congress

Default Veteran Bill Passes Congress

Good news!! in a 91 to 3 vote the Senate passed a new bill that will make changes to the VA. One of the key features is it allows veterans to seek private care if VA doctors are unable to treat patients within30 days or if veterans live more than 40 miles away from a VA facility. There is also increased accountability language in the bill. Let's hope King O signs into law.

You also have a new VA Secretary. Bob McDonald is from Gary, IN and is a former CEO of P&G.

I heard that. Good news. Let's hope it's signed and that it actually does something to help the situation in the VA.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Hooraaaay!!! No more 15 month wait for a doctor??? Do I just go to a dr I want and charge the va? How does this work?

While it sounds good, the devil will be in the details. I was listening to a radio discussion of it and some things that are concerning are - to get a voucher, a VA panel will determine if the wait has been excessive and according to the language that panel has up to 90 days to make a decision.

I really do not think that politicians will successfully overhaul it. It has not bee about money, since they are not currently spending all of their allocated money. It is an unworkable bureaucracy that is full of waste, corruption and employees that are complacent collecting a check regardless of their success.

I believe that it will only be reformed successfully if it is run like a private business. I am hopeful that the new head, a former Procter and Gamble exec, can make the changes that really need to be made.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Fantastic... You could DIE from some things, before the 90 day decision window.

It would be a LOT more efficient and cheaper if they just gave the vets a medical "credit card" and they get the care they need, now, from someone other than a second rate horse doctor.

EB

Seriously. I have left messages with several va offices about my house burning down and needing counseling, meds, an contacts or glasses so I can see. Still not even a call back to say hmm yes no maybe. Could take months to even get enrolled in the new va. They make people have no choice but to tie up emergency services.

I wonder why vets flip out and do stupid things. Heeeelp meeee...hilf Mir?..... Hello. Echo. Echo.

90 days is half a lot of cancer patients life span. Way to go.
    Last edited by RandyRhoads; 08-01-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Again - this was a discussion I listened to on the radio. I want to read the new bill for myself to see what it really does or does not do. I applaud those that are trying to fix the VA, but I do not believe a political fix will be successful. The government has proven time and time again that it does not do much efficiently, and that is something that is dreadfully needed at the VA.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As bad as things are it appears to be a step in the right direction and at least SOMETHING positive is being done. I think moving Bob McDonald into the top slot is a right move. He is not a bureaucrat and understands how a behemoth business works.

"Under McDonald's leadership, P&G grew organic sales by an average of about three percent per year with core earnings per share up an average of about four percent. P&G’s stock price rose from $51.10 the day he became CEO to $78.80 per share the day he announced his retirement – over a fifty percent increase. The Company’s market capitalization puts it among the top fifteen most valuable companies in the world." - Wikipedia

Those are pretty decent numbers. And remember, this was 2010 to 2013. So he came in the door at the end of the recession but still under a slow growing economy. That gives me hope that he can turn the VA around. Of course, he needs a lot of cooperation from bureaucrats and probably an infusion of money to make that happen. Well meaning bureaucrats or doctors don't necessarily have the prowess to run a major organization. I think McDonald has proven he can do the job if he's allowed to. Hang tough, I'm hopeful brighter days are ahead for you guys and gals.

The wait and death lists are just the tip if the VA iceberg. There are a whole lot of other problems that need addressed.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I agree Rick - Bob McDonald was a good choice for the job. I hope he is "allowed" to fix things without too many obstacles from Congress.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good news! The President signed the bill!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...care-overhaul/