Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camping, Kuksa fire, bacon grease lamp disaster, birch carving supplies

Default camping, Kuksa fire, bacon grease lamp disaster, birch carving supplies

camping, Kuksa fire, bacon grease lamp disaster, birch carving supplies
    Another beautiful weekend family camping. When opportunity granted itself, I whittled away with my knife on the maple kuksa which I resigned to keep in a zip lok with a wet sponge when not working. I'm doing this based on recommendation I received after my post inquiring about the cause of cracks I was observing. I learned that they were related to the excessively quick drying of the wood and differential shrink between the pith wood at the core of the branch I used and the outer rings. I also learned this is common with woods worked green such as my maple. The bag/sponge technique slows the seasoning and yes I saw an immediate effect on the cracks; including the closing of the largest crack that started forming. I learned from several wise commenters that there were ways to deal with the cracks, so not to be discouraged into stopping the project. No matter what happened I would learn from it so I decided to carry on with the maple project! One piece of advice that stuck out was this recommended way of harvesting wood to minimize likelihood of cracking:

1. Take a log of roughly twice the diameter that you wish to be the height of your future kuksa.
    2. Split the log down the middle.
    3. Lay the split face down.
    4. Draw the Kuksa front view as shown in the sketch below to begin roughing!
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Note: I did ask why not turn the cup to make better use of the natural curve of the wood? I got a convincing, detailed answer basically saying that the left and right sides are going to want to pull in downwards and outwards from the middle, resulting in cracking or at least warping.

I asked my dad if he had any split wood in the pile from this years efforts (for next winter's firewood) that would have come from an 8"+ diameter birch. He said he'd have a look and bring some by on Monday if he found something.

My only "rules" for the Kuksa project was no power tools. Otherwise I'd use whatever I could get my hands on. As I hung out at camp, I decided to see what I could accomplish with fire towards my goal of hollowing out the rough shape. My attention was drawn to the Weber firestarter cubes (poor mans version of UST's "Wetfire" tinder), as I was not ready to make the camp fire for the evening. I scraped off a pile and light it afire inside a small hole I carved out with the pocket knife. It burned steady for quite some time, but alas merely browned the edges.
    Later that evening, with a true campfire going and a glowing bed of coals underneath, I pursued the effort in a more traditional manner. I scooped a nice coal out and dropped it into the small starting cavity I'd made. Blowing on the coal I quickly picked up the gist of the technique.
    Not too much oxygen so as to cause the burst of flame.
    I could rotate the cup and direct the force of the oxygen towards the area I wished to "carve". I was very excited to see the green wood slowly turning to glowing coal itself in the focus areas.
    When necessary, I stopped blowing on an area and it quickly "cooled" down. In this manner, I was able to make great progress during a relaxing evening under the Maine stars, with my family by the campfire. Here is the cup, ready for a charcoal scraping session.
    This being the last campfire until we return in a couple weeks, I'll likely turn back to the pocket knife and for the first time on this project, a wood chisel when I return home.

The next morning's bacon grease was collected and hardened in one of my wife's glassware bowls. She asked me to go outside and scrape out the grease into a container for disposal. I decided to grab a few napkins to twist into makeshife wicks. My bright idea was to try to make a little "upcycle" project lamp. I was delighted to see the effectiveness and snapped this photo as my wife peered out to chastize me "your going to ruin my bowl". "It will be fine", I returned.
    Literally a second later "pop" and the glass dish's side popped off. Within 30 seconds, all the rest except the bottom cracked off. "Honey, sorry, you were right".
    To round out the weekend and kickoff the next week, I woke to a planned visit from my parents and a truck full of split birch from my dad. Varying heights of the half moon pieces from 3.5-5", all around a foot long. Should last me a while!

As an added bonus, they gave me a Plumb axe head picked up at a yard sale for 50 cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda nice to have family that knows what you like.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Kinda nice to have family that knows what you like.........
    Indeed!

You do realize of course that she will NEVER let you forget about that bowl don't you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You do realize of course that she will NEVER let you forget about that bowl don't you?
    Yup!

Default camping, Kuksa fire, bacon grease lamp disaster, birch carving supplies

I spoke to soon in my last post about the cracks being under control. I was tapping away with the chisel last night and suddenly -crack- ! Upon inspection it was almost clean through the bowl : Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    A little pull and I broke it clean in two. Right through the pith! Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    There is lots of surface area for glue so I'm going to try Titebond III and move on to start another from my birch!

I don't think that kuksa will hold much liquid.

Now your family will bring you old ax heads for you to fix FOR THEM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Not to be deterred, I drew up a 1:1 scale plan, elevation and front view. I was free handing the first one but figured since I'm starting over I'd do it real nice. I have the PDF which can be printed to 11x17 if anyone wants a copy. You can't see the linework only the general shape in these photos due to camera exposure. Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I think you can blame your fire and the moisture content of the wood for the crack. As I said, moisture will always be your biggest problem working wood. I'm going to encourage you to do two things. Make certain this one is dry and choose another piece of wood. That little burl in the wood is probably not going to be friendly. Wood has a mind of it's own and when grain weaves like that it can do weird things. Since this is your first one I would suggest you look for the cleanest, straightest piece you have and let it dry.

I've said it here and many of the knife makers have said the same thing about metal. It knows what it wants to be and if you try to make it something else it will steadfastly refuse to be that. As you found out. It looks to me like it wanted to be a minnow net.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks rick! Here are my views clockwise from bottom: top, front, side Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Main bowl is about 3.5" diameter and 3" tall.

Taking more care this time to mark center lines all the way around to help me keep the work symmetrical and the sides/bottom square. This birch is butter compared to the Maple. I'm still using the ziplock and sponge to keep the project from drying too quickly. I wish I had a hook knife for the bowl. Trade ? Anyone? Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Very tempting to throw it on the chop saw to square it up but I won't cave to the pressure.

Pretty good selection of carving knives from Rick's store. http://safezonellc.com/mora.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks crash.

Focused on roughing out the top view but didn't want all the extra work in the handle are so I roughed out the handle (side view) too. Photos also show the zip lok and sponge to slow drying. Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Got some work in on both the new birch (larger, circular) and the older maple Kuksa (oval, now glued) this weekend. Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Looking good.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks crash. I love the grain on the birch.

Quote Originally Posted by paracordist View Post
    I wish I had a hook knife for the bowl. Trade ? Anyone?
    http://deepwoodsventures.com/en/25-spoon-carver

I have the large spoon carver and scalpel from Paul Jones. They cut 100x better than the mora spoon knives. You can even save a little money buy buying just the blade and putting your own handle on it. Be careful if you do, they come razor sharp!
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

First drink from my hand made birch Kuksa! It was a piece of firewood last month, now it's a cup full of tequila on the beach . Hand tools only - hatchet and knife, coals from campfires to burn out the inside and sandpaper to finish. Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum. ...then beer