Thread: It's not always for survival

Default It's not always for survival

We had opportunity today to break into our emergency water. The city is updating our neighborhood to metered water today and so it is shut off. It's slightly more than a simple comfort to be able to continue flushing toilets while we know the water will be back on soon. It's not a very big deal in the short term, but it amounts to nearly zero deviation from our usual habits.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

'Zactly. That's why we have stuff. I've used my supplies a whole lot more for things like that than I have asteroid impacts.

It;s good to rotate stock as well........If I don't use my bulk storage....I change out supplies spring and fall anyway.

Good thinking though.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well that's for the best; I don't store nearly enough water to absorb an asteroid impact.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Cool All's I can say is...

Sounds like a survival scenario to me, also a nice "shakedown, dry-run!" Things that happen like this can alert you to something you may have overlooked!....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Emergency water storage, I'm sure most will agree, is for shot term needs. Some will be able to store more than others. I've always kept a couple ceramic water filters, plus extra filter elements, on hand. Also, chemical water treatments are a must when using these filters. I live 100 yards from the shoreline of Lake Erie, that would be the closest water source to my home. The water needs to be filtered and treated for drinking use.

Since the sewage system uses pumps to move waste water to the treatment plants, with a long term power outage the system would eventually backup and make it impossible to flush the toilets. Something to think about.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

You never know. Your water might be back on when expected, or not. A few years ago ours came back on when advertised, however in order to get it done they sent a crew from a separate sewer line problem to help out. Guess what. They contaminated the whole water supply for our neighborhood. Took days of boiling drinking water till the lines were flushed good enough, and the amount of chlorine they pumped in was more than sufficient.

when they tell me the water's off, I remove the flush handle and break out the shovel. If I get some warning that the water is going to be shut off, I fill the bathtub, too. I keep the water heater free of crud and the drain faucet free of corrosion, too.