Thread: District Court Strikes Down DC Gun Ban

Default District Court Strikes Down DC Gun Ban

Yeah!!!! Another one bites the dust. And another and another and another and another one bites the dust!!!!!!

http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/07/di...gun-in-public/

Good..........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It's a shame it has to go to these levels to protect/regain our rights, but glad to see some common sense applied.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The chief of the DC police has told it's officers how to approach this change in regs:
    http://mpdc.dc.gov/sites/default/fil.../07-138-14.pdf
    Any person from any state who has a valid ccdw or ltcf is allowed to carry.
    IDK, it's great news and all but I cant see them just accepting this without a fight.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Maybe not, but where will they carry the fight to? There is no higher court. I suppose they'll try to heap on any and all restrictions they can, abusing the spirit of the ruling as far as they are able. But I think this is a great ruling!

Well, since they previously lost in the Supreme Court my guess is they will make slight changes (that are clearly still unconstitutional) and go through the multi-year court challenge process again. Hope I'm wrong, but they are ideologically driven and do not give up....ever.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The most obvious changes to me would be to set limits on open or concealed and on which states they will honor...if any. Then there is the whole process of acquiring a permit. Currently, as I understand it, you only have to register your weapon. I'm sure that will change too.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Maybe not, but where will they carry the fight to? There is no higher court. I suppose they'll try to heap on any and all restrictions they can, abusing the spirit of the ruling as far as they are able. But I think this is a great ruling!
    This was not a Supreme Court decision, They lost in DISTRICT COURT!!

This is a three tiered structure consisting of:

District Court
    Circuit court of Appeals
    Supreme Court

District Court and Circuit Court are each an approximately one year effort between claims, replies, counter claims and counter replies, the the Supreme Court only has session once each year and may or may not decide to hear a case. If they do not chose to hear the case the Circuit Court ruling will stand, not the district court ruling.

The key here is that they are dealing with a ruling that has already been heard and applied in each if the fifty states but is not valid in DC, which is not a state.

The question being, does one give up his civil rights when he enters DC.

DC residents, nor visitors, have no representation in congress and did not have federal voting privileges until 1961. They have no Senators and no Representatives. Laws in CD are instituted at the convenience of Congress and Congress can overturn any law passed in DC with a simple vote.

The real focus of the anti-gunners (we will not use the L word) is that ownership and carry of firearms is not a civil right, like the other civil rights, even though it is specifically identified and protected in the Constitution while other things they demand as "rights" are not.

While the Supreme Court has determined that firearms ownership/carry IS a civil right, protected under the constitution the "powers that be" continue to violate that right, but with out the same federal reaction that Mississippi, Alabama and many other states got when they infringed on the right to vote, which is not spelled out in the Constitution or Bill of Rights.

As long as firearms owners refuse to form a solid voting base they will be disrespected, abused and illegally persecuted without recourse.

When they start sending officials to jail for refusing to issue a carry permit things will change.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-30-2014 at 01:40 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Krat - the machine says I gotta spread the love. Good post.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Krat - the machine says I gotta spread the love. Good post.
    I agree and I have the same problem "someone" needs to add some rep.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'll get that rep out for you Hunter!

Sorry, no go, seems I gotta spread it around too!
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 07-30-2014 at 06:56 PM. Reason: I was wrong.....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I took care of the rep. It was a good post.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Looks like a 90 day stay on the decision has been issued. http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/d...n-ban-24749240

While watching the morning news, the story was covered and my interpretation of what it sounded like goes like this..........

DC Officials to court: Wait! What do you mean people can carry guns? We haven't allowed that for over 45 years! Nobody has ever challenged this in court! Police officers and city officials have no idea how to deal with law abiding citizens, minding their own business, exercising their Constitutional rights. The world will end if you allow this to proceed. We need time to devise a different plan to suppress the rights of American Citizens!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash, you have no idea how much officials (Leo, especially) like to bother law abiding citizens just because they don't "like" what they are doing. I have butted many heads professionally with Leo and security within my career. Many times I have had to explain my actions for handling a situation just because poorly educated supervisors don't understand basic rights. In fact, my supervisor last week wrote me up for refusing to obey his order. Well, it was illegal and I articulated it as such in the comments section. It came back to bite him.

Long story short, some people want to control/dictate other people. The moment they have any opportunity to do so, they will attempt it. This occurs from mall security all the way to the POTUS.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I think this whole gun ban thing is a bunch of whoowie. The way I see it, signs can't stop violence but a couple of rounds of .357 can. And given the price of ammo I don't mess with warning shots. I do have a couple of words for some of our leaders.

To Bloomberg: Shut the hell up!
    To Obama: Shut the hell up!
    To Emanuel: Shut the hell up!
    To Feinstein: Shut the hell up and go put on some makeup!

Blog Entries

Cool Sooooo.....

Positive rep sent from me as well! Great post!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin