Thread: Things I Saw Today

Default Things I Saw Today

OK, tecknickally it was yesterday, but I didn't get around to posting it 'till now.

So a friend and I took advantage of the spring weather (finally!) and went for a bike ride along the banks of the river. It wasn't warm exactly, but the sun was shining, the grass is turning green and there are definite signs that winter might be on the way out at last. (Don't get me wrong, the winters here are beautiful, but enough already.)

The wildlife were enjoying the mild weather too, so we kept our eyes peeled for anything that might be occurring. The birds in particular, seemed to be out in force, hawks and ravens and crows, many of them simply wheeling and circling in the sky, seemingly just for the fun of it.

All awesome stuff but best of all was when we saw two golden eagles playing up ahead. Even better, after a few moments they flew down towards us, flying not more than 15-20 feet above our heads and settled on the ground just a few yards away. We watched them, mesmerized for a few minutes more before they hopped up and took off around the hill.

I've seen quite a few bald eagles since moving to the States, but never a golden eagle, and never two at once, and never quite that close. What a special privilege that was.

So, how about we open this thread up to "Things anybody saw today"?
    Life is too short to hurry through.
    ~ Kenny Salwey

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good idea! Oh lucky to see a pair of Goldens, Catfish!
    I've been having plenty of conversations with a couple of ravens in the last few days, they visit twice a day and we have a contest of imitating each others sounds. They get really into it, puffing out their throat feathers, sticking up the ear feathers and glucking and burbling along. Sometimes they come along for a bit when we go for a walk. I really love ravens.

Banned
    Blog Entries

How do you tell a Immature Bald Eagle from a Immature Golden Eagle....????

This is not a trick question...??? There is an answer.......

And for wildwoman, the difference between a crow and a raven is the crow has seven pinion feathers and the raven has six. So the difference is really a matter of a pinion.

If you look in the center of the first pic you'll see a raven gliding on the thermals. There were dozens of them out over the canyon. There must have been a 30 mph updraft and they would drop out of the trees and just hold their wings out.

Hopeak - I don't know the answer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The golden eagles legs are feathered down to the toes,the bald eagle shows some leg
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    The golden eagles legs are feathered down to the toes,the bald eagle shows some leg
    WINNER: Way to go Nell.......

Banned
    Blog Entries

I like to see some leg........personally.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rick: If my memory is any good I think Nell smoked you on the Killer Whale question also.............?

Hopeak, truth be known, dear Nell skunks me before the question is even asked. I just answer like Pavlov's dog.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hopeak, truth be known, dear Nell skunks me before the question is even asked. I just answer like Pavlov's dog.
    Mmmm,are you saying I stink,Rick????

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Are you really my wife? Only my wife can turn a compliment into an insult.

(walking away mumbling...okay, I said she always skunks me...yeah, I said that....that's a good thing...and then she said.....)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rick, well atleast you have more feathers, I mean hair on your legs. (I would HOPE).

There is no way I could possibly answer that and come out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Are you really my wife? Only my wife can turn a compliment into an insult.

(walking away mumbling...okay, I said she always skunks me...yeah, I said that....that's a good thing...and then she said.....)
    No,I am not oyur wife,now quit your mumbling,I was only kidding!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)