Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Google is the new learn"

Default "Google is the new learn"

This is so true it's scary....."Google is the new learn" or "Why should I learn anything if I can just Google it?"

http://doonesbury.washingtonpost.com/strip
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Not scary at all! Use google to learn it... I do that non stop. Every question no matter how trivial, I google. Then commit it to memory. Having the answer to nearly any question at your finger tips is great. I hear "I've always wondered why ..." so many times. How about taking 5 seconds to use that tiny device with more information on it you can even fathom to find out if you've always wondered.

Combined with the many schoolbooks online. Not having money for college is a poor excuse to not be educated, especially if it's something you like.

I know not all of you have smart phones, I hated them and refused to join for so long. Once I did it was something I regret not doing sooner. Edible plants, traps, mushrooms etc. It's like carrying around a free library in the size of a bar of soap.
    Last edited by RandyRhoads; 07-27-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Im with Randy, A *LOT* of stuff I do, I can do because of Google! Im not only a Ham but also an electronics hobbyiest.. I can Google about a device or circuit and LEARN about it.

Before there was google, my learning curve was very very slow (Before Internet actually, but same idea). Ive advanced to designing my own circuits, programming embedded micro-controllers and making my own printed circuit boards!

Google is a heck of a great learning tool!

That is all,
    EB

Hummmm OK I guess....till the batteries go dead....LOL

That's right! If it's on the internet, it's TRUE!!!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    That's right! If it's on the internet, it's TRUE!!!
    Ever heard of cross referencing?

The batteries go dead, you can't learn anymore. But You still have what you learned. Books don't last forever either, it's up to you to take the information out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Im with Randy, A *LOT* of stuff I do, I can do because of Google! Im not only a Ham but also an electronics hobbyiest.. I can Google about a device or circuit and LEARN about it.

Before there was google, my learning curve was very very slow (Before Internet actually, but same idea). Ive advanced to designing my own circuits, programming embedded micro-controllers and making my own printed circuit boards!

Google is a heck of a great learning tool!

That is all,
    EB
    Exactly! Half the stuff I know is from the internet. And a lot of it is better than a book, because some things simply aren't written about as much as i'd like. I have some very unique hobbies. On the internet brand new things, or even old things being studied can be instantly posted about. People can share new things they are trying, and learning right away.

I went into the library the other day in hopes to find some books on things I liked to occupy me until I get into the new house. I came out with 2 and they were only because I couldn't find anything I was looking for. Back to google.
    Last edited by RandyRhoads; 07-27-2014 at 02:15 PM.

I'll take google and youtube over a Chilton's manual any day.

I remember talking to my brother in the mid 1990's about platypus and I mentioned that they are venomous. Gary told me I was full of stuff. Because, there were no venomous mammals. I think it took a year and a half or so until I came a cross an article in a magazine. I could have gone to the library or looked an encyclopedia.

But, now a days we can just "google it" on the spot.

Just tap the microphone icon and ask the question.

Heh, heh heh....Ooo...Kay....Don't say I didn't warn y'all........

I not saying the Google isn't good....I'm saying that the attitude now seems to be "I don't need to learn, I'll just Google it".

If you play it right, you can get a full, rounded, education from the Internet. My hobby is continuing education and I've bookmarked a library of opencourseware and online lectures to play with. I'm going through two series of studies - one being a series of survey courses and the other a series of refresher courses for the high school subjects I'm tutoring students in. I'm also putting educational materials on my website so I'm working on a few tutorials to put up after I get enough to make it worth while to put them up. One is a tutorial on observation and recording and I have to do the exercises myself before I write them up to make sure they'll work. In the current one I'm working on, I've developed some exercises that show how to strengthen observational skills using an empty picture frame and toilet paper and paper towel tubes. And I showed how refraction (in the eye) works by showing how to determine the refractive index of water with a protractor and a laser pointer. (As Coyote said, "Anything with a laser is fun."). Next, I'm going to get close and dirty to show how lenses work (since there's two in each eye.)

Frankly, I'm having a ball.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Heh, heh heh....Ooo...Kay....Don't say I didn't warn y'all........

I not saying the Google isn't good....I'm saying that the attitude now seems to be "I don't need to learn, I'll just Google it".
    I do not usually read science fiction, but I remember one novel where navigators in deep space used a special drug to enable them to navigate. At one time, computers were used but the computers tried to take control. The law of this fictional future society was "thou shalt not makea machine in the image of a human mind". perhaps a science fiction fan can help me remember the book and author.

I do remember H G Wells and his story "The Machine Stops". People living underground with all wants and stimulation provided by The Machine. One day.....the machine stops. The story is almost a century old but I need to look it up.
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 07-27-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Yeah. I know what you're saying, Hunter, and you're depressingly right.

Falaoga, that sounds like Dune.

That's the problem. Normally functioning humans are challenged and entertained by opportunities to learn. They want and need to survive by their own wits and by the works of their hands but the typical person today has relegated everything that matters - knowledge, responsibility, activity, challenge, relationships - you could pretty much say "their humanity" - to the technology that allows them to ignore all that and just.......well, chill (I think I hate that word). We're turning into a race of cows and if the machine ever breaks, the predators will be waiting.......
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I think that you are referring to the Dune Trilogy where the "spice" as located on only one planet. The spice helped navigate apace.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(novel)

A computer taking over was in "2001 a Space Odyssey" ...where HAL, the computer tried taking over.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A...Odyssey_(film)

The Machine Stops was by E.M. Forster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Machine_Stops

All stories that make you think.......What if the technology isn't working for what ever reason....War, EMP, Any disaster......?

That's the part that scares me.

Then we have vastly more knowledge gained from the Internet on how to handle it than if we never learned anything.

Stupid people are stupid. They will either choose to learn or not, weather it's through a computer or book.

Knowledge is knowledge no matter where it comes from. There are those that burned great classical literature for one reason or another. It's not the knowledge or even where it comes from. It's what you do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    This is so true it's scary....."Google is the new learn" or "Why should I learn anything if I can just Google it?"

http://doonesbury.washingtonpost.com/strip
    Thanks for correcting my errors and for helping me get caught up with Doonesbury, a righteous comic strip. I think we are all aware of the blessings of technology, but anyone contributing to this forum will probably not become totally dependent upon it and completely helpless without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Faiaoga View Post
    Thanks for correcting my errors and for helping me get caught up with Doonesbury, a righteous comic strip. I think we are all aware of the blessings of technology, but anyone contributing to this forum will probably not become totally dependent upon it and completely helpless without it.
    I would certainly hope not....the idea is to be self sufficient and able to take care of one self......Not have a "app for that".

I guess I just a bit surprised that there is some pretty venomous defense for technology from this group...LOL.

Didn't say it was bad or not to be used, just that it scares me that there is a such a dependence on something that could be gone in an instant......

As I read it in Doonesbury today, I did feel a shudder up my spine.....But that is just me ....and old guy.

Hunter, you evil man....and I had promised I would under no circumstances follow more than two webcomics.

Internet = technology? Holy Cow! If I could get to it without the #^$&^ computer I would. The Internet is just information floating around out there in cyberspace. That's my story and I'm gonna stick to it.

Hunter - I think you are just raising questions that people should ask about any new gadget or gimmick. Is it useful in a real way or just "bling" (a word that did not exist when us science majors carried slide rules). Keep on trucking, man, you have some righteous ideas that you share - outtasight. No doubt, information from the Internet is great but too many people substitute data for knowledge.

@H63 - I took your OP to not be bashing technology, but rather the mindset of some people that have become so dependent on it and really don't (or can't) rely on anything else.

We all use it, and it's a wonderful tool. Knowing how to use all of the tools in the toolbox, and not just the techtool is important IMO. I think that most here do know how to use all or most of the tools.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sort of like doing math without a calculator. Some folks get that deer in the headlights look if the cash register does operate correctly and tell them how much change to give.