Thread: Aquaponics - New site section

Thanks, Chris.

Cool. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Thanks, I'm actually attempting to design an idiot proof passive system at the moment from stuff I can get for free or at least very cheap.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think this should get people talking about Aquaponics, off-the-griders and homesteaders have taken a big interest in this. Tilapia is one of the favored fish in this process. I would be interested in hearing from people practicing Aquaponics.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

I dislike tilapia (flavor, or complete lack thereof), I want to try it with trout, when I move and have more room. I'm building a greenhouse with a basement (well, I hope to...banks etc), its attached to the house so I just extended the basement to include the greenhouse too. In the greenhouse basement is where I'll put my rainwater storage tanks, but then also I was thinking it'd be perfect for an aquaponics setup, I could build fish tanks in the basement, pipe the water up through the floor to the greenhouse. I'd like to get to the point though where I would be making my own fish food from the garden as well.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tilapia is a pretty plain fish but it's very durable, Carp like. Trout need cool waters so depending on where you live, the cooling process may become a big deal. I don't know about the food requirements between the two either. If you can do it though, that will be some good eat'n. This is all new to me, following the process or hearing input from others will be a big help in learning about this.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

I can cast net a weeks worth of Tilapia down here in one cast.

As I understand it, the reason tilapia are great for aquaponics is that the young hide in the mothers mouth and that helps the fry survive. It makes sense to me.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.