Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do u think this is true??

There are solar powered, kerosene powered and propane powered refrigerator and freezers out there.
    Though I guess maybe frogs might be cheaper.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Yeah, there was a refrigeration system that was ammonia in a large black pipe and a radiator for a condenser. It worked by the expansion and contraction of the ammonia in the system and would make ice. When enough solar heat was unavailable, you could use fire.

our property is in or about crater lake,oregon

today me and the mister went out to the sports store.
    we went to the camp kitchen area.
    an ice chest there was so wonderful.400$.lol.for an ice chest.
    we might at well get a propane refrigerator.
    lol.
    and no frogs!

here is a link to preserving milk

http://www.fao.org/docrep/v6200t/v6200t0t.htm
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by cabingal4 View Post
    today me and the mister went out to the sports store.
    we went to the camp kitchen area.
    an ice chest there was so wonderful.400$.lol.for an ice chest.
    we might at well get a propane refrigerator.
    lol.
    and no frogs!
    Yeti coolers are really expensive......and still have a rubber latch?

Anyway, has anyone used or tried a spring house?

We used a plastic milk crate (the kind that says the if stolen, violators will be prosecuted?)...full of beer.... tied off in the river so it wouldn't float away....did OK, but a few cans (they sorta float) did get away......
    Sort of a redneck beer cooler........Actually worked pretty well.
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-26-2014 at 08:56 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

My bush friends have an ice chest buried in a protected, covered spot off their porch. It keeps things pretty cool. If it starts to get warm, they water the dirt/sand surrounding it and it cools it off more.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yeti coolers are really expensive......and still have a rubber latch?

Anyway, has anyone used or tried a spring house?

We used a plastic milk crate (the kind that says the if stolen, violators will be prosecuted?)...full of beer.... tied off in the river so it wouldn't float away....did OK, but a few cans (they sorta float) did get away......
    Sort of a redneck beer cooler........Actually worked pretty well.
    I have two of the Igloo version of the Yeti cooler. The Yukon. I have the 70 quart and the 150 quart. The 70 quart MSRP for $389.99 and the 150 for $579.99. I have a friend who has a family member who is an executive in Igloo. So, I go both for less than the MSRP of the 70 quart alone.

They are very heavy duty coolers that have dual locks. so they are bear proof and can be locked and chained to trees in camp. The non-slip on the bottom work very well. Though I flipped them because it is a pain getting them in and out of the truck with the non-skid pads on.

These coolers are built bomb proof and weigh a lot empty. They are perfect boat coolers and the heaviest person probably isn't going to hurt this cooler by standing on it. So, using it as a sighting, casting or poling platform. If you consider what a poling platform costs for a boat, a cheap one is almost $400.

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/fiberg...pU1hoCBdTw_wcB

My buddy has the seat cushion and just keeps one of these on his boat all the time.

I wouldn't pay any where near MSRP for these though. The secret to long lasting ice is cooler management. Get the cooler off the ground and in the shade. When we have big camping outings a couple of times a year we lock the coolers. Moving stuff out of the big coolers into the smaller coolers only once a day. If the lid is opened and closed all day long the insulation of the cooler doesn't matter.

I've owned and do own a lot of coolers. I would say never by a split lid cooler. Not the one that splits 50-50 not the big coolers with the little door in the lid. These coolers just flat out don't hold ice worth a carp.

If I had to go buy a cooler just for keeping ice and not to double as a seat or poling platform. I would buy the Coleman Marine Extreme.

1stimestar -this is what me and gary o were talking about.
    thanks Batch ! some really good info here.

Evaporative fridges have been around for quite a long time. Same principle as 1stimestar is talking about. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pot-in-a-Pot-Refrigerator
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I was thinking as cold as it gets there how about a icehouse? Freeze up blocks of ice and tuck them in the ice house for later.

Sylvan Hart would freeze up blocks of ice in the winter and then sell them to the river rafters during the summer.
    Last edited by randyt; 07-27-2014 at 07:03 PM.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I was thinking as cold as it gets there how about a icehouse? Freeze up blocks of ice and tuck them in the ice house for later.

Sylvan Hart would freeze up blocks of ice in the winter and then sell them to the river rafters during the summer.
    pretty good idea.we may have to think this one over.i sure think this is feasible.

The frog trick works great and as an added bonus the fly population seems to have --UUURP-- decreased around my house....

Frogs + milk
    i grew up on a dairy farm, a Jersey can give a lot of milk, i think you would have to have a big herd of frogs to get enough milk for your breakfast cereal. I've never tried to milk a frog ??? Just Saying

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post

The Amish build ice houses and use styrofoam blocks and/or straw bales as the insulating material. The styrofoam blocks can be gotten for free from nearly any place that sells trailers, styrofoam blocks are used to keep the trailers from sliding and to separate them while being hauled. the blocks are 2-3x as large as the salt blocks used for cattle or for water softeners, so one block can be either used as is, or cut into slabs to insulate more area.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

So, that's why there's a frog in every shelf milk carton.

I looked at a few articles about the frog thing and it sounds legit. Good to know, hope I don't find myself in a situation where I have a frog in one hand and a container of milk in the other.

Another great whey to keep milk from going bad is to turn it into a hard cheese. It keeps for a long time and it doesn't need refrigeration. You put good bacteria in the milk and it will help to create an environment within the milk where bad bacteria won't want to live.

Big milk drinker here. No frogs.

Now if I could get my wife to stop with the 2%...

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Amazing!!!

We have folk here that will not use a water filter unless if purifies to .02 microns and removes 99.9999% of all virus, bacteria and heavy metals...

Who are discussing allowing a frog to pi$$ in their milk!!!!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?