Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on “survival knives.”

Default My thoughts on “survival knives.”

In reality, a survival knife becomes any knife you have with you when your life suddenly becomes endangered to immediate harm, natural or manmade.

But what if you are planning on purchasing a knife specifically for survival scenarios? A purchased survival knife should be full tang, made of quality steel, able to take and hold an edge, stout, strong enough to take abuse and not fail under stress. This may include batoning, chopping, prying, and digging. This means that the survival knife will likely be medium to large in size, thick, heavy, and a jack of all trades, master of none. When I go out, I usually do not carry a knife like this. It is longer than I’m used to, thicker than I want, heavier than I would carry, and doesn’t performs specific tasks as well. So if I wouldn’t use it in settings I normally find myself in, what good is it? None!

Sow how about instead of “survival knives,” we look at “woods knives?” A woods knife would be a knife that you take along while spending small amounts of time out in the woods, say for hiking, hunting, or short camping trips. This type of knife should be a fixed blade, sharp, made of quality steel, able to take and hold an edge, and strong enough to not fail during normal use. These will normally be small to medium in size, and thinner and lighter than a survival knife. These knives may not baton, chop, pry, or dig as well as a survival knife, but they are much more likely to be carried by the average person. And as stated in the beginning of this post, a survival knife becomes the knife you have WITH you. Not the one you have back at home.

So instead of spending a large sum of money looking for the “best” survival knife that doesn’t nor ever will exist, find a woods knife that fits your needs and USE it! Find its strengths and weaknesses, how much stress it can tolerate without failing, how to take care of it in the settings you normally find yourself in, and how to use it for maximum performance. These skills are what you should focus on in case you do actually find yourself in a survival scenario.

Am I saying that you should not buy that tank of a knife that weighs two pounds? No. If you like that kind of knife, then go for it. But a knife you are familiar with its abilities, know how to use, and most importantly, will regularly carry with you, will be a much safer bet than a survival knife that you do not.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I agree with you, the knives I usually find myself reaching for during an outdoor adventure don't usually stack up as "survival knives".
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

Pretty much. A 4 inch or less blade works really well out in the field. The only reason they suggest going over 4 inches is for batoning sake. But you generally don't need to baton that much or pieces that thick.

There's a fantasy surrounding things a man can do with his knife. Maybe it's stabbing ninja zombies. Or chopping enough wood to build a log cabin. Prying open the door of an army tank or skinning a woolly mammoth. But for those of us who go out and actually do the real life mundane bushcraft tasks that knives were meant for, you need something much more modest.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

Don't get me wrong. I have a couple of knives that would be considered survival knives, but I never carry them in any instance in which I might find myself if a bad situation. Usually just around the house and property, close enough where they don't even make it on my belt but stay in my hand. I simply just find them too heavy, big, and thick for what I normally do when out.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I have a couple of knives that would be considered survival knives, but I never carry them in any instance in which I might find myself if a bad situation. Usually just around the house and property, close enough where they don't even make it on my belt but stay in my hand. I simply just find them too heavy, big, and thick for what I normally do when out.
    Me too. That's actually how I broke my imitation Rambo knife. I was using it to pry some roots out of the ground in the backyard. It did a good job on them for a while. But the plastic mold inside the handle cracked and the blade fell off.
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

My first home made "Survival knife", Thanks Rambo.....hollow handle, industrial hack saw blade with saw still there....is still being used as the garden knife.

Mostly use SAK, Mora's, Buck's, Green River..... all older....but have been toying with changing out the knife/hatchet combo on hunting pack with a BK2...Haven't done it yet.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Default My thoughts on “survival knives.”

The BK2 is a hefty knife! I like mine but it's almost too heavy for belt carry. If you wind up getting one keep in mind that there are voids under the handle scales that can be packed with extra goodies.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

These have worked for me for many years in all kinds of outdoor situations, hunting, camping, hiking, etc., in all kinds of weather.

Top, a forged 15N20 4" semi-drop point blade, designed by me, forged by the late bladesmith, Bill Buchman of Bend, Oregon, in 1982.

The folder is a Camillus Stockman given to me by my father when I was 13, in 1950. It is ALWAYS in my pocket.

Bottom knife is an old Gerber A475, 4¾" stainless blade I bought sometime around 1972 or 1973.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I can not recall in 65 years of outdoor activities ever needing any knife any larger except one time about five years ago in a very, very unique situation.

Guess I'll stick with these old friends.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 07-23-2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    The BK2 is a hefty knife! I like mine but it's almost too heavy for belt carry. If you wind up getting one keep in mind that there are voids under the handle scales that can be packed with extra goodies.
    Yeah, Thanks.......my first "Survival knife"

Bought it off a guy on another forum for $60 bucks "used" with two sheaths.
    Wasn't used all that much...pretty sharp and a real "club" of a blade......
    Like I said was planning for swapping out the hunting fanny pack combo...kinda heavy as is....but the BK2 weighs just about as much.

So like it showed up, and it took it out in the yard, so as to see it survive....just sat there......LOL
    We will see.

BTW I don't baton any more than I have to, and generally use an ax, hatchet, hawk....so a hunting knife is more my speed.

There's not much a three blade stockman cannot do.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

S.M. Looks like you have your base's covered......I wouldn't need anything more either.
    Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    In reality, a survival knife becomes any knife you have with you when your life suddenly becomes endangered to immediate harm, natural or manmade.

But what if you are planning on purchasing a knife specifically for survival scenarios? A purchased survival knife should be full tang, made of quality steel, able to take and hold an edge, stout, strong enough to take abuse and not fail under stress. This may include batoning, chopping, prying, and digging. This means that the survival knife will likely be medium to large in size, thick, heavy, and a jack of all trades, master of none. When I go out, I usually do not carry a knife like this. It is longer than I’m used to, thicker than I want, heavier than I would carry, and doesn’t performs specific tasks as well. So if I wouldn’t use it in settings I normally find myself in, what good is it? None!

Sow how about instead of “survival knives,” we look at “woods knives?” A woods knife would be a knife that you take along while spending small amounts of time out in the woods, say for hiking, hunting, or short camping trips. This type of knife should be a fixed blade, sharp, made of quality steel, able to take and hold an edge, and strong enough to not fail during normal use. These will normally be small to medium in size, and thinner and lighter than a survival knife. These knives may not baton, chop, pry, or dig as well as a survival knife, but they are much more likely to be carried by the average person. And as stated in the beginning of this post, a survival knife becomes the knife you have WITH you. Not the one you have back at home.

So instead of spending a large sum of money looking for the “best” survival knife that doesn’t nor ever will exist, find a woods knife that fits your needs and USE it! Find its strengths and weaknesses, how much stress it can tolerate without failing, how to take care of it in the settings you normally find yourself in, and how to use it for maximum performance. These skills are what you should focus on in case you do actually find yourself in a survival scenario.

Am I saying that you should not buy that tank of a knife that weighs two pounds? No. If you like that kind of knife, then go for it. But a knife you are familiar with its abilities, know how to use, and most importantly, will regularly carry with you, will be a much safer bet than a survival knife that you do not.
    Great post! Positive rep sent your way!....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I do not have much experience with over the counter type knives as many of you know, if I want something in particular I just make it. With that said I think a lot of you guys are really missing the boat by not picking up a Harbor Freight survival knife or two...."just saying". They are on sale right now for 9.99.

harbor survival.jpg
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

LOL....Aw man I just told the guy that it was junk....LOL....Where is the dude anyway?......

Good advise. A good "woods knife" and a pocket knife will stand you in good stead.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Harbor Freight........pfffffft. What you really need is a Rambo Super Deer Slayer Deluxe with Scope, Laser, Holo, Tac Light. Kind of fits with the Ninja Glock.

Last edited by crashdive123; 05-30-2015 at 08:53 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I had one of those once but I found that the flip up scope caps kept getting in the way.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Harbor Freight........pfffffft. What you really need is a Rambo Super Deer Slayer Deluxe with Scope, Laser, Holo, Tac Light. Kind of fits with the Ninja Glock.

Man, I gotta git 1 of ten ther ones......

Nah. This is what you need...

Dom
    "There are only 2 classes of ships in the Navy...Submarines and Targets!" RM2(SS)
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"...Nordic proverb.
    "No man's knowledge can go beyond his experience." John Locke.
    "Survival is about getting out of the wilderness ALIVE, Bushcraft is about getting into the wilderness and THRIVING."

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by DomC View Post

Nah. This is what you need...

Dom
    He didn't even know what the teeny tiny survival kit contained until he looked at it! LOL! Nothing about keeping the sheath! Don't all rush at once to buy it, they'll be out of stock quickly....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin