Thread: Kydex Knife Sheaths

Default Kydex Knife Sheaths

Folks,
    anyone into this? I have been making knife sheaths and gun holsters out of Kydex for a while now. Just wondering anyone else here does it too?
    I use eyelets and Chicago Screws for the sheaths and holster too.
    Just keeping me busy when I am not venturing anywhere in the jungle.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

I have not used Kydex yet. Just on a personal level I prefer leather so have stuck with it for the sheaths I make.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Where do you get you raw kydex?
    ~~Combat is the least important skill a ninja can posses.~~

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

http://usaknifemaker.com/sheath-supp...ca84b0a9666d62

Most forms of kydex can also be recycled. As a former school teacher I am partial to recycled cafeteria trays, plastic chairs, tubs and storage bins and such!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-23-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Love the stuff for sheaths. Just reheat and try again if you don't like the result. Very forgiving to work with.
    -Jonesy

I got them from a manufacturer about 20 miles from where I live, in Malaysia...much much cheaper than buying from the retailers who charged 1000% extra.
    I have just started and will be making more this weekend.
    Great piece of material.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Imagine...a piece of 1'X2' black kydex costs only US$2.50...the retailers charged me US$22.60 I somehow got the suppier (thanks to my investiagtive prowness...hahahah) and was able to purchase from the supplier being Mulford Industries.

Banned

Default My thoughts and links, Kydex vs Leather, personal preference

I agree with Crashdrive that leather has many advantages over Kydex and other acrylic-pvc alternatives. Leather can be formed to conform to the shape of a blade (knife, hatchet, machete + handle etc.) or firearm i.e. pistol to hold it very tight and if treated properly it will hold up to water and oils very well and most likely out last Kydex and other plastics. However, leather generally requires more labor and skill to work and more tools and time so may not be ideal if you just want something fast and cheap.

Crashdrive has a link to an excellent series of youtube videos on making a custom leather sheath by Mike Fedler on his Blog.

Besides recycling plastic parts you already have or find for next to nothing at thrift shops and yard sales or PVC pipe etc. There are many sources of Acrylic-PVC and ABS plastic thermoform sheets in a vast array of colors and textures if you want something that looks fun or cool. Prices range from a little under $4/sq foot (retail, not wholesale) to about $12 or more for fancy patterns and textures (camouflage, hiviz etc.) Wholesale should be about half of that, much less in Asia depending on quality and thickness I was mostly looking at 2mm or 0.080" but about same price for 0.093" (2.4mm).

Here are some links and comments for Kydex and similar product that I have found the Knife Kits website retailer has a moderate selection of leather, Kydex, Boltaron, and the tools and misc parts for these to make your own sheaths, holsters, and even knives, also kits if you want almost everything together. Many other online retailers as well some with more stuff some cheaper, eBay has some better prices as well.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php
    Kydex ™ $3.99 per sq. foot or $4.26/sq. foot for BOLTARON™

http://www.mulfordplastics.com/products/kydex-sheet

http://www.boedeker.com/kydex-100.htm
    Boedeker $120 for 0.093” sheet of 4’x8’ sheet Kydex TM (Acrylic-PVC) $3.75/sq foot

http://m.regal-plastics.com/kydex.html
    Kydex 0.080 or 0.093” for $165 per 4’x8’ sheet but Regal (in Dallas, TX) will sell cut down smaller i.e. half sheet however they don’t sell much, not much in stock and price is high.
    Recommended I consider ABS Plastic at only $45/ 4’X8’ sheet but does not hold up to heat and environment as well, can be thermoformed as well, read spec sheet. These materials are also good for repairing White Water kayak thigh and foot braces, seats, outdoor gear of all kinds that are exposed to harsh marine conditions etc., make a form out of wood or plaster then conform with heat gun or low heat oven and clamps etc. Drill holes for SS or brass fasteners. I have never used to try to fix a kayak or canoe that cracked down the center of a hull with a formed sheet down the inside bolted to old hull but it might work, some old style ww kayaks can be have great sentimental value and Royalex ® is no longer made by Old Town (i.e. Penobscot used vacuum formed ABS plastic laminates over light weight core, with vinyl skin, cheaper than ultra thin Kevlar and does not puncture as easily.)

Kydex DIY sheath on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OT9D0qwLVs

I hope this help if anyone else is new to this, or if been doing it a long time please add your links for supplies and instruction videos etc.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-20-2015 at 11:14 AM.

I haven't done anything with Kydex. For my job, I have to know a lot about different polymers, especially a bunch of thermoplastics. But, I really don't know much about kydex. I guess I should look into it more.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

95% of my sheaths are kydex or Holstex. I have made sheaths and holsters with it for about 7 years now and love the simplicity and versatility of it. Leather is nice but to me holstex is practical for the style of knives I make.
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.