Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats your favorite homesteading cookbook?

our property is in or about crater lake,oregon

Default whats your favorite homesteading cookbook?

just wondering what cookbooks u might use at the old homestead?
    i know some of my faves are carla emorys encyclopedia of country living.
    i still have mine from the 70's.its in tatters.
    also i love the white trash cookbooks.i have several of those.
    just wondering.

here's one that I found interesting although really not a cookbook per say.

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Well-99-Ce.../dp/1559501375
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

One of my favs is a cookbook from 1927 that my wife's aunt had. I also like Dutch Oven Dude as well as ScoutORama. Finally, one of our wedding gifts was a Betty Crocker cookbook. I have probably used more recipes out of that book that from anything else. We got married 100 years ago so......

http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-recipes.asp

http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe/

Somebody recently gave us quite a few back issues of Cooks Illustrated magazine. We've been trying recipes from it just about every night and have been very pleased so far. As far as cookbooks go - I have one called Dutch Oven - Traditional Recipes From Lunenburg. It belonged to my Grandmother. All of the recipes are from locals. I look through it and can smell some of the dishes in my mind that she cooked while we visited Nova Scotia.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My absolute favorite cookbook is an old Treadway Inn cookbook I inherited from my mom. It has all sorts of hearty traditional New England fare. Basic scratch cooking from corn bread and nut breads to pies and cakes to vegetables and entrees. It is amazing if you can lay hands on a copy. If you follow the recipes, carefully, you can't mess up. Just be sure to read all the way through first before starting. I was making Indian Pudding using this book and burnt the stuff cuz after you add the cornmeal, if you don't turn the page right away, you miss the instruction, "stirring all the while." LOL! The second batch came out perfect.

I also have Carla's Encyclopedia book but use it only pretty much to make bread as far as recipes go. Lots of other good stuff in there though. Her white bread recipe is very forgiving if you want to experiment with different flours and fillings on your own.

I also have two different editions of "Putting Food By." The 2nd edition has the best pickle recipes. The 4th edition, though it says it is updated, needs a bit of editorial review. I hear there's a 5th edition. I'll stick with the 2nd.

The other indespensible book is the "Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving." Don't bother with the Blue Book. Just get this one. It has all the Blue Book recipes and so much more.
    Last edited by LowKey; 07-23-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

LowKey-carla's bread recipe is the one i have used for 40 yrs.
    its the best.
    i make the mayonaise that is cheap.
    i think its even called that.
    yes.i have the books u are speaking of.
    not the one called treadway inn cookbook though.would love to get my mitts on that one.
    since i am from the south.
    i sort of lean toward southern cookbook...so i love this cookbook.
    its called-Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread, & Scuppernong Wine: The Folklore and Art of Southern Appalachian Cooking
    Dabney, Joseph.
    its pretty interesting.
    also have laura ingals cookbook.i love that one.

I never read or cook based on a cookbook..I just cook...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    One of my favs is a cookbook from 1927 that my wife's aunt had. I also like Dutch Oven Dude as well as ScoutORama. Finally, one of our wedding gifts was a Betty Crocker cookbook. I have probably used more recipes out of that book that from anything else. We got married 100 years ago so......

http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-recipes.asp

http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe/
    Thanks for the links - There are some stuff on those sites that I'll try out for sure.

here you go:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all
    Mine actually has a brown cover, not green.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

thanks so much Lowkey.i am anxious to get a hold of this book.thanks.

I own quite a few homesteading cookbooks. My favorite would probably be The Homesteader's Kitchen by Robin Burnside. The recipes include good, fresh ingredients that are easy to find and mostly I already have on hand.

Blog Entries

My favourite Cookbook is The Dairy Book of Home Cookery produced by the Milk Marketing Board originally in 1968. My mum got me this copy when I married in 1978 and it's the second edition. It showing it's age a bit and there's a variety of ingredients spattered over the favourite recipes. It has almost everything from basics to dinner party stuff(albeit 1970's chic!)
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Food that Really Schmecks by Edna Staebler. Good basic recipes, nothing fancy but it will all fill you up. First thing I ever made from scratch on my own was white bread, using the recipe from this book, when I was 10. The neighbours had bread machines, my mom said she didn't need one, she had a son. It's still my go to recipe for bread, and the book also has recipes for biscuits that I use almost exclusively to this day. Unless I'm baking with sourdough starter instead of yeast or baking powder, in which case I tend to reach for Cranberries and Canada Geese by Helen Webber & Marie Woolsey. This is less basic fare, it's the second of a series of cookbooks adapting recipes from a hunting lodge, but it's got pretty good recipes for game, and I made the best sourdough starter I've ever had from their recipe.

there was an old lady on tv one day.she was in a white brimmed black hat.she was old and
    she made a recipe book up about small game cookings.
    she even had chipmunk patties.i would give anything to know her name and get that cookbook.
    only thing.i dont know her name or the books name.i have been looking for it for years now.

I'm looking for another homesteading cookbook since I have mostly tried the recipes on my cookbooks already. I want to try a new recipe and since I only quite own a few, I resorted to looking for recipes in internet blogs. I found interesting ones though I might try looking for the books mentioned here too.
    Have you tried going Solar in Adelaide?

DW says Betty Crocker is the one that is used the most, complete with all the pieces of paper, napkins, index cards, note book paper.......Oh wait she says she doesn't "use" it all that much....it's a filing system......(just kidding with here)

I'm a Carla Emery fan, but more for tanning, canning and pickling....and my filing system looks the same way.

Still have my old Chickasaw jerky recipe.....that starts out...."Get your self a deer....cut him up in strips.....make a mix of Morton Season all...."
    Where in the heck did the old Chickasaws get the Morton Season all?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Dear John,
    I was able to put myself through school at Clark University working as a waitress at the Public House in Sturbridge, MA, from 1965 - 1970. It was one of "The Treadway Inns of New England and New York" at that time, and considered the best restaurant between Boston and Hartford or NYC. It was not unusual, even back then, to make $200 in tips on a busy Sunday!
    You may be interested to know that the first thing a waitress or waiter brought to the customers' table (that is, after the bus boy (no women busing back then) gave them water and butter) was a basket of rolls. This basket contained fresh, warm pecan rolls, date nut bread and corn sticks. As an employee, I was given recipes upon request. They were merely on index-type cards, and some of them I continue to use as written. What I no longer have is their Indian Pudding recipe and was wondering whether or not you would send it to me.
    By the way, the recipe for their cocktail sauce, Roquefort dressing, stuffed shrimp dressing, lobster pie and Fresh Blueberry pie are all to die for.

Thanks
    Pie (Donna)

To one of the mods...
    is it ok to post the Indian Pudding recipe from the book here?

to say favorite gee that,s a tuffy for sure. see i cook ethnic and love it all.
    i do have a family cook book from moms side some recipies are from my grandmas grandma from poland.
    and many fromgrampas side in the studetantland. i,m a foodie so i love it all, what can i say.

Lowkey - Yes, just give the book credit.