Thread: Spices

Default Spices

I think spices are very important to survival food. I like the Morton Hot Salt. It gives a nice Zing. Then there is Bad Byron's Butt Rub - "A little Butt rub makes everything better". It's good on the grill items. Sometimes I'll make my own concoctions, a little of this and that. Grill Mates and Pleasoning are good too. Something to spice up the fried potatoes. Nothing better! What are your secrets for spices in the outdoors?

If I'm backpacking - salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, beef and chicken cubes, maybe some butter buds or tabasco.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

salt, pepper, and always "Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning" and you don't need anything else. (well maybe some tabasco)
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I think spices are very important to survival food. I like the Morton Hot Salt. It gives a nice Zing. Then there is Bad Byron's Butt Rub - "A little Butt rub makes everything better". It's good on the grill items. Sometimes I'll make my own concoctions, a little of this and that. Grill Mates and Pleasoning are good too. Something to spice up the fried potatoes. Nothing better! What are your secrets for spices in the outdoors?
    I use all kinds of spices, at home and out in the wilderness. I like to use pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, basil, chili powder, and cinnamon. I use several types of seasoning blends like pizza, speghetti and taco also.

Here is a website I found interesting: Encyclopedia of Spices
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    If I'm backpacking - salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, beef and chicken cubes, maybe some butter buds or tabasco.
    salt, pepper, olive oil (I hear it's really good for you), Spike
    Nothing beats roasted squirrel and Spike
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    What are your secrets for spices in the outdoors?
    Depends on the planned menu. I don't use a lot of dried herbs at home as I prefer fresh, but the dried carry better in the field. If I'm making spag. I take some dried oregano, basil, etc. Mediterranean dishes get marjoram, rosemary, etc. It all depends on what I'm doing. I have an extensive spice cabinet and herb collection.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    salt, pepper, olive oil (I hear it's really good for you), Spike
    Nothing beats roasted squirrel and Spike
    Now you are the second person I know that uses olive oil for outdoor cooking. I cook all the time with olive oil. I keep a 4 oz bottle of it in my backpack.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

wow never thought of bringing spices with me and how do you make spices

You can grow them yourself, or if you're not into that simply hit the spice aisle in your local grocery store.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm impressed! I better get with the program and learn how to use these spices.

Rebel - spices and seasoning are often simply a matter of personal taste. If you like garlic, use it. If you like spicier food..... Experiment and find out what you like. You never know, you might create a new sensation.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    Now you are the second person I know that uses olive oil for outdoor cooking. I cook all the time with olive oil. I keep a 4 oz bottle of it in my backpack.
    lol. You mean there's another kind? Seriously, it has the best balance of flavor to health benefits that I've found. Yes, it does impart a slight flavor of olives (duh) but it's SO much healthier than say, vegetable oil. I do use canola or safflower at times, but it's rare, and only because I'm out of olive oil. I do use sesame oil or truffle oil sometimes as a finisher, but most likely the dish was initially cooked in olive oil.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

TDW has a bag of spices she drags along. Some of everything she uses at home.

I take salt, pepper, garlic, bullion cubes, chili powder, Tabasco, cinnamon, olive oil and sugar. I also take baking powder, baking soda and flower.

Something bland can be made more agreeable with a bit of spice.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

I'm with Alpine on the olive oil. I also have safflower and canola but only carry olive oil with me when I'm out. I keep vegetable oil to coat my cast iron with because it doesn't leave any tastes behind.

As for spices, I installed a small lazy susan in one cabinet just for spices. So I use them a lot at home. In the field, I usually just carry salt and pepper. Although, now that I have the dehydrator I'll probably start carrying some dehydrated fruits and vegies to flavor with.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Along with all those mentioned above, I use Lawry's seasoning salt with Tabasco. It's great on hamburgers/beef and adds a little zing. It also adds good flavor to homefries.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Lawry's works and so does Ms. Dash. TDW and TGF both use the heck out of Ms Dash.

I forgot to say, I take woshershire(Spelled wrong). Lawry's seasoning salt with Tabasco I need to try some time.

Dried fruit can add a sweet taste to oherwise bland foods and I have seen others add it to drinks like tea.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!