Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12 day growing season

our property is in or about crater lake,oregon

Rick.me and the mister are discovering the same thing about ourselves.
    thank u for all your help here.

ok.back from the woods.
    the gardener out there is our neighbor.he explains alot to us.
    he is wonderful in his gardening where its hard to grow much i tel u.
    he said we are zone 5a but...we are in a mixed zone situation.
    he said he orders all plants and seeds for zone 2,3 and 4.then what ever he orders in those zones will be
    strong enough to survive our harsh climate.
    i was mistaking a growing season as no days of frost.
    soo.he said yes.we have had 12 days of no frost once.then he said this time we have had no frost for 2 months.
    he is filled with knowledge to help us know what to grow out in those woods and he has lots of the green houses u were sharing Rick.
    keeping u posted as we get closer to growing things out that way.

was 29 the other morn in our woods.for sure will need these green houses everyone is speaking of.

yep Randy swiss chard is very good one to grow and you put it up like mustard greens. Grew alot of that in Wyoming. Rubarb also. I know I am late on the thread and can't believe I missed it. found a few more for you cabingal. Broccoli, collards, cabbage, kale turnips. I would think caulirflower and brussel sprouts would do well also. Take care I am starting to plan for next years garden.
    Last edited by Awanita; 11-04-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

There are lots of plants that will grow just fine even with temperatures dropping to the low 20s. I grow a wide variety of plants in the fall and winter, and I have seen one night drop to 18 Degrees F. !!! However, our below-freezing temperatures only last around three to four hours. Everyday, even the coldest, always warm up to above freezing, so that might make a difference ....

If you make cloches, you can grow some plants in weather even much colder, like my grandfather did in Portland, Oregon, for many years.

I can even plant seeds when the temperatures are below freezing at night !!! I have been planting seeds in our area for over 20 years now. These are some of the plants I have growing now: Henbit (Mint family), Stinging Nettles, Chickweed, Mallow, Peas, Arugula, Tatsoi, Garlic, Green Onions, Calendula, Oregano, Sage, Radish, various Greens, Carrots. I'm going to plant lots of Cilantro and Chamomile seeds soon, which have grown very well for me during the cold weather. I planted and scattered many seeds which are just starting to sprout > Mustard Greens, Turnips, Kale, Kohlrabi, Collards, Beets, Fava Beans, and more ....

Many of the plants in my garden grow wild now and come up every year as volunteers: Arugula, Milk Thistle, Sunflowers, Tatsoi, Green Onions, Radish, Henbit, Mallow, Stinging Nettles, Chickweed, Four O'clocks, California Poppies (survive all through the fall and winter, even with temperatures in the low 20s, then start flowering in late February, Pokeweed which the birds love, Gourds, Lilies, Morning Glories, Carnations, Bachelor's Buttons, Snapdragons, and more .....).

My garden has become a bird sanctuary !!!! I put out tons of bird seeds (many different kinds), which has attracted many species of birds: Mourning Doves, Western Scrub Jay, Mocking Bird, White Crowned Sparrow, House Sparrow, House Finch, Anna's Hummingbird (does not eat the seed, but is attracted to the many flowers in my garden, and also the humminbird feeder with sugar water).
    Last edited by vja4Him; 11-26-2014 at 03:05 PM.

thank u vja4Him and Awanita -you give me inspiration and thoughts on what i can do.wonderful.thank u.